• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest place to get front recovery hooks?

15mm head, I want to say M10x1 or M10x1.5 thread. 10.9 or 12.9 hardware, I forget.

15mm head, I want to say M10x1 or M10x1.5 thread. 10.9 or 12.9 hardware, I forget.

that seems about right, I was going to say 3/8 ish.

Anyway, I think that the mount is probably sufficient, my biggest complaint is that I don't really feel it's any stronger than cheaper options, at $120 you're halfway to a proper front bumper, and substantially more than a set of hooks with , in my opinion, a not substantially stronger design.

The problem with stock and C4x4 brackets is that they do not deal with angled pulls very well.

Something I'll add to this: I bent one of my stock tow hooks dragging a quad stuck in mud up to its axles out of a pit. However, the C4x4 hooks we've installed have held up better; I don't believe one has bent yet.

It is very easy to bend them unless, you are pulling straight ahead.

This is where I really prefer the front towbar plus receiver shackle - but, further to that:

The IRO bracket spreads the pulling forces to both frame rails, the IRO square tube is not going to flex at all.

Completely agreed. However, one thing I'd really like to see is a version where the receiver exits through the middle of the stock bumper - cut a hole for the receiver to feed through and move the licence plate to one side to accomodate it. The way I see it, it wouldn't be totally dissimilar to how Detours' XJ Backbone setup works.

Last edited:
IOr if IRO just provided a piece to go up and catch the factory recovery point. A U shaped sleeve/bracket that went up to the factory tow hook mount would substantially reinforce the whole thing.

so you would think adding a U-shaped piece of metal to be sandwiched in-between the bolts of the swaybar, and the IRO mount would be best? Then you can capture the factory bolt locations on each side of the fram.

so you would think adding a U-shaped piece of metal to be sandwiched in-between the bolts of the swaybar, and the IRO mount would be best? Then you can capture the factory bolt locations on each side of the fram.

Yes, at that point you would essentially have the backbone system like Detours.
If possible I would weld that bracket to the IRO flat bit, so you wouldn't be relying solely on the bolts to keep it together. That would be pretty sweet/bombproof.

Look here for some ideas.

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone_install.php

My initial thought was just to have a plate bent on the outside of the frame rail that bent down underneath. A U shaped bracket that went underneath the frame horn and grabbed the bolt at both sides would be awesome, but probably a bit overkill. You're likely not going to fit a u-shaped bracket on the drivers side because of the steering box, but if you ran a plate that grabbed the steering box bolts, the factory bumper mount bolts, and the factory tow hook bolts it would also do a great job at reinforcing the steering box area that's prone to tearing, basically the same as the steering box brace.

These:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3UNBF&Category_Code=XJMISC

Welded to the IRO recovery jobby would be pretty boss.

Completely agreed. However, one thing I'd really like to see is a version where the receiver exits through the middle of the stock bumper - cut a hole for the receiver to feed through and move the licence plate to one side to accomodate it.

Or receiver mount your license plate and no one ever knows the hole is there. That would also be pretty useful for removable winch plate.

Someone really needs to email this thread to IRO. Looks like we just did all the market research for V 2.0

Or receiver mount your license plate and no one ever knows the hole is there. That would also be pretty useful for removable winch plate.

Yup. Or plug it with one of these - they seem a little pricey at $40, though; it's the sort of thing that should be a $25 option at build time IMHO.

Someone really needs to email this thread to IRO. Looks like we just did all the market research for V 2.0

This is a really good idea. Who wants to run with that?

Yup. Or plug it with one of these - they seem a little pricey at $40, though; it's the sort of thing that should be a $25 option at build time IMHO.

This is a really good idea. Who wants to run with that?

Yeah, I made my own out of the stock license plate bracket and a random bit of box tube for the cost of some welding wire.

I have emailed them a link to this thread.

Last edited:
The only factory bracket bolt hole that is reinforced is the large on at the back end of the bracket. The rest of the factory bracket holes are just sheet metal.

The sway bar bolts are attached to a thick u shaped bracket that is spot welded to the inside of the frame rail. The IRO bracket is mounted in single shear, just like a Class-III receiver hitch.

standard.jpg

The only factory bracket bolt hole that is reinforced is the large on at the back end of the bracket. The rest of the factory bracket holes are just sheet metal.

The sway bar bolts are attached to a thick u shaped bracket that is spot welded to the inside of the frame rail. The IRO bracket is mounted in single shear, just like a Class-III receiver hitch.

]
yes, which is why I never mentioned the other three bolts, just the single sleeved hole in the back.

I have emailed them a link to this thread.

Josh @ IRO emailed me back.

He took the criticism well, and said that they were thinking about doing some sort of D-ring mounts and that they would look at some of the ideas presented here to make a better product.

So this thread was productive after all.

as for d rings on the IRO mount maybe look over this thread that is on JF:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177...-building-xj-1116911/index5.html#post10814908

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/tj-guy-tries-his-hand-building-xj-1116911/index5.html

there are some pics over there of what a guy did to put d rings on that setup

That was clever. Full credit to him for that one.

I'm almost wondering if this couldn't be used in conjunction with the stock tow hook brackets to convert it to shackles. The two obvious problems I can think of are orientation (vertical for hooks; these shackles may end up horizontal depending on how they can be mounted) and potentially needing to trim the air dam, but it at least looks like a possibility.

the shackle brackets are cross drilled so they will fit in either orientation, horizontal or vertical.

there was another company that makes them too, that are just for shackles, i was considering them instead of the downward facing factoy hooks but i went with another style of hook.

i ended up grabbing some hooks off of a full size GM truck, which has horizontal hooks, make sure its off a full size not a light duty SUV like the jimmy or blazer the full size hooks are much thicker.

then i just drilled one hole and bolted them on.

9923_559834260894_40304619_33251792_2459253_n.jpg

yes i got rid of the space it was just in there for a bit while i was moving things around. though i think you need it if you want to run these with the stock bumper. maybe not i think it was really tight for getting a strap hooked up.

^^ Very nice! Was just admiring the front hooks on my buddies 1997 ford expedition. How much did the yard charge you?

they charged almost nothing, 5$ or less each im sure.
i picked the full size GM hooks because they would adapt to the XJ brackets the easiest by drilling one hold.
im sure the expedition hooks would be nice because, well they arent hooks, they are loops, stronger and more secure.

the shackle brackets are cross drilled so they will fit in either orientation, horizontal or vertical.

Yep - found the product page on their site and how it mounts is much clearer from their picture:

4t8zb.gif

$65 is a little more than I can do right now, but those are on the list. Need to give them a call Monday and verify that the holes in the brackets match up to the holes in the hooks.

Last edited:
they charged almost nothing, 5$ or less each im sure.
i picked the full size GM hooks because they would adapt to the XJ brackets the easiest by drilling one hold.
im sure the expedition hooks would be nice because, well they arent hooks, they are loops, stronger and more secure.

RIGHT they are loops! might be hard to mount though. But if that hook you have is good enough for a suburban, I doubt your gonna bend it.

Back