• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap mods Wanted for poor school boy....

jjmat3

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of my sons (16, new driver) just picked up a 94 XJ. I got him hooked on wheeling and helped him pick out the Jeep and now I am helping him hunt for BUDGET related mods so he can start wheeling safely.

He needs the following:
He NEEDS recovery points for sure, tow hooks or hitches.

He is hoping to find a cheap budget boost or small lift by July, springs or spacers, shocks, etc.

Transfer case drop. (figures, I gave away the one I won at JV)

Rocker protection. (probably try welding some bars up in a couple months if we can't find a cheap pre-made set)

16" wheels, prefer steel but aluminum would work too. (I am giving him a set of good used 245/75-16 Rubicon MT/R's)

CB radio? (I have an antenna I will give him)

He is not looking for all freebies, he is just on a 16 yr olds high school budget and I am helping all I can.
Anyhow, If you have anything taking up space you could part with free or cheap I will relay it to him. He is anxious to get out and wheel.

Thanks!

A friend in the valley has a set of the old style supernerfs sitting around he'll probably be willing to chip in. They need a little grinding and probably to be welded on (missing some bracketry). Assuming they are still available I can snag them and bring them down to OC if you wanna come get them, and grab a drink while your at it. ;)

cal said:
A friend in the valley has a set of the old style supernerfs sitting around he'll probably be willing to chip in. They need a little grinding and probably to be welded on (missing some bracketry). Assuming they are still available I can snag them and bring them down to OC if you wanna come get them, and grab a drink while your at it. ;)

Cal, That would be great if you can get them but there is no way I can make a trek to OC any time soon as I am getting ready to leave for Moab Thursday. ( a cold beer sure sounds good too!) Even if they need some work it would certainly give me a head start on getting him set up.
If you can still get the rails, I could make other arrangements to get them after I get back in May. LMK, Thanks again!
John

he can trim the shit out of his fenders for free and cut the exhaust tip off and move it to before the gas tank and point down to avoid ripping it off later gluck to him

zachxj01 said:
he can trim the shit out of his fenders for free and cut the exhaust tip off and move it to before the gas tank and point down to avoid ripping it off later gluck to him

Thanks for the tips. I already donated a flowmaster to him and told him to have the muff shop tuck the exhaust tip up high. It now sits 1/2" below the bumper up out of the way. I have already informed him of the surgery that might be necessary to tuck larger tires on a small lift and he is game for whatever it takes. He is supposed to go looking for some hardware today to mod his swaybar links into removable ones and we will be pulling the rear bay of course. I never took the opportunity to budget build my XJ, so this is kind of fun.

I've got a CB radio of the radio shack type. 20 bucks

jjmat3 said:
A friend of my sons (16, new driver) just picked up a 94 XJ. I got him hooked on wheeling and helped him pick out the Jeep and now I am helping him hunt for BUDGET related mods so he can start wheeling safely.

He needs the following:
He STILL NEEDS recovery points for sure, tow hooks or hitches.

He is hoping to find a cheap budget boost or small lift by July, springs or spacers, shocks, etc. V8 ZJ Springs maybe? Used 2" spacers?

Transfer case drop. (figures, I gave away the one I won at JV)

Rocker protection. (probably try welding some bars up in a couple months if we can't find a cheap pre-made set)

CB radio?

He is not looking for all freebies, he is just on a 16 yr olds high school budget and I am helping all I can.

UPDATE! He spun a damn rod bearing hot rodding around town and has the XJ in the shop for repair so his budget is now Gone. Looks like it is going to be a real challenge now to get him ready for Big Bear in July. Oh well.

Anyhow, If you have anything taking up space you could part with free or cheap I will relay it to him. He is anxious to get out and wheel.

Thanks!

I've got one tow hook(just the hook, no brackets) and a transfercase drop(no bolts though, sorry)

You can have these for the cost of shipping.

I need to look at a factory tow hook setup and see where/how it attaches. Anyone have a pic of that. Search time, should be fun as I bet there are a million tow hook threads.

I've got one tow hook(just the hook, no brackets) and a transfercase drop(no bolts though, sorry)

You can have these for the cost of shipping.
MIght consider that, but need to see if I can make the hook work. I'll lyk. Thanks,

HD_Tow_Hook_11236.05_t.jpg

The factory tow hooks are attached to the actual bumper brackets themselves and tie in to the unibody frame mounts for added strength.

UNfortunately its hte best pic I can find right at this moment

Front

The back looks like this but it bolts up to the holes where the hitch goes and the gas tank skid goes

This is what it looks like all together

Let me know if you want any of what you see...

Back