• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna Mounting - Ideas for trees?

zith said:
The idea to mount on the front bumper is intriguing because it wouldn't get in the way of the hatch opening, and I can remove the antenna (got a disconnect) when I'm doing work on the engine.

IMO that's the best way to do it...unless you've got a 97+ XJ with the metal rear hatch.

This is how mine ended up looking...

trxus1.jpg

trxus3.jpg

It's basically just half of a standard mirror-mount thing.

No compass here.

To get a more secure mounting I might go with a mount on the front bumper since my back hatch won't clear the next idea I had.

Anyone run Dual antennas? Any benefit there?

Jason
To m

If you go to Radio Shack, they have an antenna mount for the upper bars on older pickup mirrors. Drill the four mounting holes in your bumper corresponding with the mount and throw the bolts through. It how I've run mine for a few years and have yet to snag a tree. If you run it on the passenger side, you can put it outboard just enough to clear the hatch. It looks cheezy, but pt a tennis ball or something about halfway down the shaft (of the antenna) and it will keep it from whacking your body. I'd shoot you pics, but I'm stuck in Iraq right now. I can do it early next year if you want...he he he

Just my .02 cents here in the PNW, i have my 5' wilson on a spring mounted to the inner fender well on the left side of the rig its a 94, running my galaxy 959 and have had no problems with it since i mounted it almost a year ago.
2vvuvjb.jpg

2m7akns.jpg

begster - How do you run the coax in that install? Drill a hole in the hatch for it, or is it going around the edge and up the inside?

vetteboy - Pics of your jeep is what got the wheels rolling in my head about a front bumper install. What length antenna is that? I guess I should just go outside a little later today and hold up my 4ft firestik to see where it sits.

swifty088 - Does the length of antenna on your fender mount cause any trouble? I'm sure it gives great transmit/receive, but it sticks up real high! I love the CB mount. If I didn't have an OHC I'd put mine there.

Here is chuckstrpt's setup (about to copy it myslef):

CB.jpg

CB%20mount%20002.jpg

Hey zith your right my reception with the long antenna is great especially withlots of obstructions(trees) etc, the length and location have not been a problem with the spring attached it just flexs with everything it comes incontact with and with the light branches it just helps them glide right up and over the rig and thanks for comment on my mounting of the cb i love it right there, thanks

On my old rig, I had a 4' antenna mounted to the roof rack with a sort of splined hinge at the base that I worked up. On the road, I could keep the antenna in the up position and had great reception, and on the trail, all I had to do was twist a knob, fold it flat against the other roof rack rail, and tighten the knob back down. Reception wasn't great like that, but it was tolerable, and extending the antenna back up was easy enough to not be much of a hassle.

That said, I'm doing the bumper mount on my XJ, just purely for simplicity's sake.

Ya, I drilled a hole in the hatch. The mount is the type that goes on like truck mirrors, and so I drilled the 4 bolt holes, and then one right in the center of them, right where the bracket is curved for a mirror rail. The cable then goes behind the bracket, into the cab, and behind the plastic molding. I snake it around and it exits the lift gate with the wiring for the third brakelight and wiper wires (red slash in pic), and runs behind the molding up to the front. The yellow line is the path it takes
CopyofCoyHill117-1.jpg

I've had no problems swith this, and the antenna doesn't even reach the back rail of the roof rack system when hatch is up, and doesn't hit the body.

swifty088 said:
Just my .02 cents here in the PNW, i have my 5' wilson on a spring mounted to the inner fender well on the left side of the rig its a 94, running my galaxy 959 and have had no problems with it since i mounted it almost a year ago.
2vvuvjb.jpg

2m7akns.jpg
where can i get a antenna fender mount like that?

I just picked a mount up like that at GI Joes... any place that sells CB's should have that style of mount. The only thing im worried about is the strength right there. Im thinking the front bumper might be my next option. Have you had any problems yet?

swifty088 said:
2vvuvjb.jpg

2m7akns.jpg

I had my cb and antenna set up like that (CB between the visors and ant at corner of hood) and I had trouble transmitting. It received well but when I transmitted, I got RF feedback from the antenna because it was so close and lower than the radio. I had an exceptionally good SWR and good power but when I talked on it, it sounded muffled like it didnt have enough modulation. Ive asked people about it and have come to the conclusion that the RF from the ant was canceling me out as I transmitted. I have a Cobra radio and was using a base loaded steel whip. I also tried a fiberglass ant with the same results.
Today I moved my ant to the roof. I havent had a chance to try it yet but Im hopeful that it will work well.
Are you experiencing the same thing with your set up?

Last edited:
i have my radio and antenna mounted in the same location with no rf problem.it sounds more like you have the dead key set too high

cocoloco said:
i have my radio and antenna mounted in the same location with no rf problem.it sounds more like you have the dead key set too high
The what? Huuuh?
My radio is pretty basic. All its got is volume and squelch.

I mounted mine to the fiberglas hatch. It's just above the license plate. I use a 3 foot whip for general purpose stuff (on the highway). When I go off road, I switch to a 2 foot whip that just barely extends above the roof. I have had no trouble with people hearing me. On the trails, I only need to reach out a couple hundred feet, so loss of performance isn't that big of a deal. I have seen several people get their side mounts ripped off on the trail.

Back