• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cash For Clunkers

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I know there will be more than a few Jeeps that see the crusher because of this program, and I just wanted to rant a little bit about it.

The basic idea of this program is that the government is taking $1 BILLION of tax-payer money to buy people's old cars - with the catch that you have to buy a brand new car at the same time. Then they are spending more tax-payer money to "dispose of the old cars in an environmentally friendly manner."

So basically, the government is spending tax-payer money to encourage people to take out loans on new cars .... when there is a good chance that their old car is perfectly fine.

So to "stimulate the economy" they are using tax payer money to entice people to spend money they don't have and go into debt by purchasing a depreciating item.

Wait, isn't that what the government did a few years back with the whole "everyone can buy a house" program ..... and weren't those loans one of the biggest causes of this global financial melt-down that we are just starting to recover from?

Ok, I'm done now. Sorry.

I don't know how you read my mind, but I was just working on a post that almost read verbatum to what you just wrote. This is really starting to piss me off. I was down in MD yesterday, and came home up through Bel Air/Rt 1. There is a bunch of dealerships along that stretch, and most of them had some goofy "Cash for Clunkers" display set up in the front of their dealerships. Old cars in dumpsters, old cars all painted up and crap like that. I think Speedbumps MJ (on Comanche Club) is the one that upsets me the most, that thing is clean, and its just going to get crushed.

Seriously? There's no way to have an intervention or something?

Nope, they must be destroyed per the deal. The government is to spend so much per car to do it also. They are not only getting crushed, they must have the engine block cut in half to "demill" it so that it can never run again. The car has to be purged of all fluids and chemicals (more than normal state law) before it can be scrapped.

This is just another one of the stupid things this retarded administration has done. Your tax money is going to be wasted after you pay through the ass in hiked taxes. Anyone who works/retired after working their whole life is screwed. I can get into the whole gov subsidized thing all day, but I won't. Nice job America, great move electing this POS. Too many people wanted a free ride I guess....

This is just another one of the stupid things this retarded administration has done. Your tax money is going to be wasted after you pay through the ass in hiked taxes. Anyone who works/retired after working their whole life is screwed. I can get into the whole gov subsidized thing all day, but I won't. Nice job America, great move electing this POS. Too many people wanted a free ride I guess....

no suprise :doh:

but isnt this the "Change" everyone was looking for?
Obama-Muslim-1.jpg

Nope, they must be destroyed per the deal. The government is to spend so much per car to do it also. They are not only getting crushed, they must have the engine block cut in half to "demill" it so that it can never run again. The car has to be purged of all fluids and chemicals (more than normal state law) before it can be scrapped.

I understood the Cash for Clunkers end of it, I was more referring to the MJ Andy referred to. The only time I can get my hands on one up here its so far rotted it's not worth the ridiculous price they ask...

That being said, I think the whole program is going to hurt people more than help. Besides the person having to buy a new car (start adding the expenses up there folks, the newer the vehicle the more it costs to own it in every way you can think of, more than just it having a depreciating value) think about the used cars. How many people out there can't afford a new car and are therefor buying up these traded in, clunkers. With a little elbow grease (sometimes not even that much) they have an affordable car for FAR less than a new car. Lower registration, cheaper parts, easier to work on so they don't have to pay a dealership, etc. Now with so many running/driving cars being cashed in, the used car industry will be facing a lack of older, more affordable vehicles.

I could spout off on these subjects for a while, but I think you all understand what I'm talking about. Don't think about it too much though, may lead to nightmares... :gonnablow

I think Speedbumps MJ (on Comanche Club) is the one that upsets me the most, that thing is clean, and its just going to get crushed.

Please please please tell me this isn't true. That is seriously wrong on so many levels.

As far as I understand it the cars don't go to the crusher, necessarily. The motors, they get destroyed. I think they're supposed to pour something bad in the oil, and run them until they seize (which I'm sure is great for the environment). The whole 'point' of this program allegedly is to get vehicles with lower gas mileage off the road...and to help auto makers I guess. I don't think it's going to be much help....we'll see.

heres my thoughts on this crap. heres a post a put up on another site.
"last night i drove Courtneys ford to Cherry Hill and back twice, about 30 miles and it took about a 1/4 tank both times which is about 9 gallons all together. Man did it feel good, as i drove by with dual 2.5" flowmasters lined up right for peoples windows as i pass on by them at traffic lights and elsewhere just know as I went buy people probably thought to themselves "look at that clunker". I'm also sure as I raced a Greyhound bus up rt 73 from traffic light to traffic light and people behind us where inhaling the buses black smoke cloud and the white smoke from oil passing by the rings in the old Windsor that some greenie had to be fuming, this just warms the cockles of my heart and gives me the same feeling most would get in a cabin on a mountain resort sitting by a fireplace sharing a cup of hot cocoa with there loved one under a fleece blanket.
flipoff.gif
greenies"

I agree with what is being written here and I feel that this is not a solution just a band-aide, that being said I just did this with my 97 tj, I got $3500 for something that I couldn't get 2k for. I've stripped it down and expect to get at least another k for the doors tops and tires. So for us it's working out well.
Oh and the wife is happy :wave1:

If you have ever went on a cruise, you know on the last day of the cruise, you get your bill showing the damage from the week of spending. Sure, it's a blast when you are on vacation spending money on the little ship card..But once you get that bill slipped under your door, man is it a downer..I never like spending and spending..becuase eventually, someone has to pay up..We are all along for a ride.

I'm not into politics but I sure hope the folks in DC have a good plan for working this all out...If not, we all will have a big bill under our door one day.

My opinions: The person trading in that MJ is an idiot.

It saddens me to think of how many Cherokees are going to get destroyed for this crap plan.

I don't know how the program works exactly, but I think you get either $3500 or $4500, not sure what makes the difference. I know a friend is happy to get $3500 for his '93 F-150. he was originally hoping to get $1500 for it until the program came out.

Does anyone know for sure if the cars are crushed? This wouldn't be nearly as bad if they went to a yard, then we'd at least have access to parts.

yup, they destroy them so WE cant go and get parts to keep our"clunkers" on the road. basically forcing everyone to eventually drive a rollerskate foreign car.

Back