• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cash For Clunkers

I'll try and shed some light on this subject.. I've been blowing up cars all week :puke:

where the vehicle goes is up to who the dealership calls to come get it.

the cars must go to a "government approved" scrap yard.

whoever said it..yea our 4.0s put up some hell of a fight. it makes me cringe.

I 100% agree to the statement about the "green aspect." Wait till you see the smoke show when some of these cars go. Or the antifreeze and oil poured everywhere If the block cracks before it seizes. It's completely redundant.. for the 2 minutes it takes to blow these engines up they're are releasing more pollutants than they ever would under regular use.

Don't get me wrong. There are some vehicles that deserve to be in this program..some would end up in the scrap yard soon anyway. However, many of these cars don't deserve it at all. I think they should auction them to low-income families struggling to support these days. It's a terrible waste.

i have good news!

i talked to the guy at my local junk yard and brought up cash for clunkers and asked what happens to them after the engine is blown up. he tells me that when they get them they are allowd to sell the parts off of them except the engine for a 6 month time period after that they must crush them. so let the parts hording begin

Yep, Most of our clunkers made it to the yard already. There should be some nice stuff in there guys...have fun. I know I will!

I think Speedbumps MJ (on Comanche Club) is the one that upsets me the most, that thing is clean, and its just going to get crushed.

After picking up all the parts from his MJ he didnt install, I found out what dealership he brought it too. I went down there today and talked to a guy I know there and found it. Its in a corner lot of 30 cars waiting to be destroyed. It does have some rot now around the wheel wells but nothing that couldnt be fixed. It still looks good with the lift and the 31" MTRs that have at least 3/8" tread left and the matching spare underneath it. My buddy said for them to get the money the engine has to be seized, the title sent it and it has to be crushed. He said tons of paperwork. There was also a 99 XJ 4dr loaded in mint shape with only 130k on it going with it. There were quite a few cars that belonged there but some had no business there. It actually reminds me of when Cali. did a program awhile back to get older smog polluting cars off the road by giving $300 for any car. Some guys from Petersens Publishing went down with a emissions machine and grabbed a couple cars but the one I remember was an old lady who showed up with a 68 Camaro that she thought she should turn in. Well they gave her the $300 and put it on the machine and it passed. I'm not sure about now but the car was in there front room. The lady owned it since new.

Heres an XJ trying to stay alive:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnGNiL6fGo&feature=related

Just looked at the news websites pics and saw sooooo many nice cars (and jeeps) being traded in. Cars with no rust. no damage, and no obvious problems being destroyed.

What a waste. Waste for us as tax payers, waste of good parts, and filthy engine destruction process (Looks like tons of polution). Some of the cars aren't even gas guzzlers. This insane program could only be concieved by democraps. It's not about saving gas, reducing polution, or stimulating the car business. It's about control over what they want you to drive and how to live.

So anyway, I'm still looking for 97-99 XJ in good shape. I think my odds went down a lot in the last week.

After picking up all the parts from his MJ he didnt install, I found out what dealership he brought it too. I went down there today and talked to a guy I know there and found it. Its in a corner lot of 30 cars waiting to be destroyed. It does have some rot now around the wheel wells but nothing that couldnt be fixed. It still looks good with the lift and the 31" MTRs that have at least 3/8" tread left and the matching spare underneath it. My buddy said for them to get the money the engine has to be seized, the title sent it and it has to be crushed. He said tons of paperwork. There was also a 99 XJ 4dr loaded in mint shape with only 130k on it going with it. There were quite a few cars that belonged there but some had no business there. It actually reminds me of when Cali. did a program awhile back to get older smog polluting cars off the road by giving $300 for any car. Some guys from Petersens Publishing went down with a emissions machine and grabbed a couple cars but the one I remember was an old lady who showed up with a 68 Camaro that she thought she should turn in. Well they gave her the $300 and put it on the machine and it passed. I'm not sure about now but the car was in there front room. The lady owned it since new.

Heres an XJ trying to stay alive:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnGNiL6fGo&feature=related

Hmmm... I wonder if they would mind if you pulled in there with your MJ and swapped out any good parts for what is on your MJ. Bucket seats, 8.8 axle, things like that.

By the sounds of it No. I would pay a couple bucks to just "borrow" it for a couple hours. I really dont need the parts, except maybe the front locker. I have everything else I need for the truck. The only thing I think I might buy is a front locker at some point, between the parts I got from him and what I have sitting around it should come out pretty sweet.

Do we know where it's going? I might want that front locker for myself.

I think this whole program is BS, but I figured since I'm going to have to pay for it through my taxes in the future I might as well get a car out of it. I hate to say it, but I got rid of my 89XJ that I bought 3 years ago for $1200. It had a little over 260k miles on it, leaked every fluid and I was sponging oil out of the airbox once a week. I loved that old thing, but my wife wanted a new car and I have a son that will be driving next year. We got a Dodge Caliber so I got the full $4500 for my XJ. Before I turned it in I did take off the rock sliders, custom front bumper, rear bumper with swing-out tire carrier and drove it in on 225x75x15 stock XJ wheels and tires and kept my 33s on rims. I'm going to give the guys in my 4x4 club first shot at this stuff and whatever is left will be posted on here for sale. My wife felt bad that I was giving up my XJ so I ended up buying a 98 TJ to replace it. I'll be wheelin again soon.

I think this whole program is BS, but I figured since I'm going to have to pay for it through my taxes in the future I might as well get a car out of it. I hate to say it, but I got rid of my 89XJ that I bought 3 years ago for $1200. It had a little over 260k miles on it, leaked every fluid and I was sponging oil out of the airbox once a week. I loved that old thing, but my wife wanted a new car and I have a son that will be driving next year. We got a Dodge Caliber so I got the full $4500 for my XJ. Before I turned it in I did take off the rock sliders, custom front bumper, rear bumper with swing-out tire carrier and drove it in on 225x75x15 stock XJ wheels and tires and kept my 33s on rims. I'm going to give the guys in my 4x4 club first shot at this stuff and whatever is left will be posted on here for sale. My wife felt bad that I was giving up my XJ so I ended up buying a 98 TJ to replace it. I'll be wheelin again soon.

You're welcome!

You just let the government take money right out of my pocket and put it in yours.

On principle, you shouldn't have participated in this program.

But I guess its hard to pass up free money that you didn't earn and don't deserve.

You're welcome!

You just let the government take money right out of my pocket and put it in yours.

On principle, you shouldn't have participated in this program.

But I guess its hard to pass up free money that you didn't earn and don't deserve.

Why is it out of your pocket and in his and why doesnt he deserve it? I dont agree with the program but I'm a taxpayer and I'd like some of it. I pay alot yearly in taxes and ifI could get some, even if only briefly, back I'd try if it benefited me. There are alot more worse programs out there that people actually use to steal our money from then helping somebody get a new car. The gov. could have just given whoever buys a new car a rebate but this way they take another car off the road. It just sux that some of these cars dont need to be.

I was just in York a few hours ago and saw what looked like(from 20 feet anyway) and rust free, beautiful 80's Suburban, way cleaner looking than 99% of the ones of that era running around. It had cash for clunkers spray painted all over it. It was beautiful before it got turned in. Also saw my first car hanging out of a dumpster, at a Chrysler dealership on Rt23 Between St. Peters and Rt100.

It sucks because I been trying hard to find a job. And my XJ is dying to be fixed (I need a new drag link)(my front tires are bad now, my trucks alignment is bladjfspdfsd)

I hate hearing all this.

this is just a re-incarnation of the "clunker" bills of the late 80s...... hell, they didn't even change the F'in name!! they never went far but they wanted to allow grossly-polluting factories and corporations to buy old polluting cars to get them off the road, they would earn polution "credits" toward their factory emmisions. the entire muscle car enthusiast community totally freaked out.. as they are now.... as ANY reasonable person should be!!
this is a perfect case of an agenda item sitting on the back-burner for years until someone finds a way to sell it.
i bet if you dig deep enough, the auto manufacturers are using these "clunkers" as credit towards their battle with the EPA to show how much "good" they are doing for the environment by removing them from the streets.... political double-dipping at it's finest.

makes me sick..

in the mean time i am looking at the old ZJ with it's 2nd bad transmission thru a weary eye. it's a dam good thing i cant fit into most small jap-scrap..

if it wasn't for so many americans being ignorant and narrow-sighted for so many generations about the day-to-day issues that face us, the politicians wouldn't have such an easy time selling us a shit sandwich like this...

this is just a re-incarnation of the "clunker" bills of the late 80s...... hell, they didn't even change the F'in name!! they never went far but they wanted to allow grossly-polluting factories and corporations to buy old polluting cars to get them off the road, they would earn polution "credits" toward their factory emmisions. the entire muscle car enthusiast community totally freaked out.. as they are now.... as ANY reasonable person should be!!
this is a perfect case of an agenda item sitting on the back-burner for years until someone finds a way to sell it.
i bet if you dig deep enough, the auto manufacturers are using these "clunkers" as credit towards their battle with the EPA to show how much "good" they are doing for the environment by removing them from the streets.... political double-dipping at it's finest.

makes me sick..

in the mean time i am looking at the old ZJ with it's 2nd bad transmission thru a weary eye. it's a dam good thing i cant fit into most small jap-scrap..

if it wasn't for so many americans being ignorant and narrow-sighted for so many generations about the day-to-day issues that face us, the politicians wouldn't have such an easy time selling us a shit sandwich like this...

You know, I vaguely remember that nonsense from 20-25 years ago, and it made just as much sense then.

As far as an exchange, raise your hand if you can't "fit into small jap-scrap" like me. Come on - hands up! I know there's more than just me out there! I can sit in a Mini and look out over the windscreen. Did the same thing with a Corvette when I was working in a body shop as "strip/prep and general yard ape" (I was too big to be a monkey.) Good thing that 'Vette had T-tops, or I'd have had to stick my torso out the driver's side window.

I keep looking at these tiny cars that are coming out, and I feel like Bubba Smith sitting in a Honda Civic (recall Police Academy?) I'd probably do better if the seats were removed totally and just put a pillow on the floor. I get so damned tired of banging my head on the roof while I'm driving (or banging my head on the doorsill just getting into the damned thing.)

Gang, "average" size is just that - average. It's a mathematical average calculated from what is generally considered to be a represenatitive sample of the population, and even that is statistically suspect. I know plenty of people who are well above average height/weight, and quite a few of them are even larger than me! Methinks they weren't included in the polling and the sampling, or the "average" would be somewhat higher.

I'm probably outside the "average range" - and I'm not really that large, at 6'3". I do know, however, that I'm off the top end of the range for effectiveniess of first-generation airbags (they top out being useful at something like 5'10", 200#. Taller than that risks whiplash fractures. I think the going range for first-gen airbags was 5'4"-5'10", 95#-200#. Outside that range, you were just as at risk for injury from the airbag as you were from the roads incident.)

I'm not so sure about second-gen airbags. They may have improved them for smaller/lighter people, but they'd still have difficulty with us larger specimens I'm sure.

A lot of this sort of thing contributes to why I do not want a new car. ABS? I learned to drive without it, and I actually find it limiting at times. Vehicle active anti-roll? Screws up my reactions - I can't feel the road as well as I should. Speed-sensitive steering? Unpredictable, generally (working with fixed-rate steering simplifies calculating how things are going to happen.)

Driver training probably started to go downhill about the time these 'features' became commonplace - I haven't tracked the trend, but it seems likely. "Build a car any idiot can drive, and every idiot will drive one." I've been saying that for at least fifteen years, and it probably should have been taken as prophecy (vice cynicism.)

Back