• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carry in vehicle?

good thing you are doing research and not just assuming.

but one thing to think of, since you are going in the military, their laws superceed every federal law (while on post). and to get a POW out of the arms room (thats where it will be unless you live off post) is a pain in the ass.

you are the one going in right? if not disregard that previous

Yup, I'm the one. And it doesn't matter cause I don't live on post (till I ship out, at which point they give me a gun anyway).

Wrong. you cannot have a loaded weapon on post conceal carry or not, unless you are DA police and in a gov vehicle, MP in gov vehicle, guard in gov vehicle. all other weapons have to be unloaded and in plain view with post registration and can only be tranported to and from range, or to and from arms room.

EDIT: superceed every federal was too broad a statement. superceed local laws on transporting a weapon

I am an MP as well as Federal Law Enforcement. I understand quite well what You and I can and cannot do. :rolleyes:

Ill just kind of go through and give you answers on these in the order you asked them, and I am going to assume you are talking about a pistol, not a rifle/shotgun(some things are different)... Other things are different in the city/county of Denver and Broomfield. Good job on the research BTW. Common sense is key! I recommend spending a few bucks and taking a good defensive handgun or concealed course through the NRA. Oh, and Yella, good links!

-It doesn't matter where the firearm is kept. - True, but common sense would dictate that in the glove box or wherever you keep your registration and proof of insurance is NOT the ideal place to keep the gun, unless you want a Glock screwed to the side of your head when you try and grab your documents for the police if you are pulled over. Depending on the size of the gun, either under my seat, or in the center console are pretty decent spots.

-The firearm has to be out of the immediate reach of the driver. - False.

-It needs to be kept out of sight. - Not required, but definitely recommended! I dont like to call attention to something if I dont need to. Chances are, if you have a gun on the passenger seat, somebody in a bigger truck than you will see it become "alarmed" and call the police. Now you gotta deal with the authorities, making you late to wherever you are going, and wasting the cops time. And what happens if you go to move it, and somebody sees it, and claims you pointed it at them? Now you may be facing a Felony Menacing charge! No bueno!

-It needs to be kept in plain sight so a cop can see it. - If there is no reason for law enforcement to search your vehicle, or they dont ask. Why volunteer the information that you are armed? Be honest, but dont be eager! Some LEOs may have a different opinion on this... Just be smart about it. Dont hand the officer your license/reg/poi and say, I have a gun!

-It doesn't matter if its loaded or not. - This is where rifles and shotguns come into play. But with a pistol, i would hope it IS loaded! What are you going to do with an unloaded gun? haha

-It has to be unloaded and the ammo and firearm have to be kept in separate areas. - not per state law, some municipalities may say different unless carrying a permit(DENVER???)

-You need a CCW permit. - only if its concealed on your person

-You don't need a CCW permit. - unless concealing it on your person. The quick and dirty way of looking at this in colorado is that your car is an extension of your home. What you may do in the privacy of your home without a permit(shove a gun in the couch cushions or in a drawer), you may do in your car(under the seat or in the console).

Thanks for the response!
As of now it lives in the glove box (when I'm out an about... under my bed when I'm sleeping) because it doesn't really fit anywhere else. Center console is a little cramped, the thing ain't exactly compact lol. The only other place it fits is the door cubby thing, but I don't like sitting it upside-down because its on the hammer and the lack of a trigger safety makes that a little iffy. I figure if I do get pulled over, I'll just let the cop know its in there before I open the glovebox and ask him what he wants me to do as far as getting my papers. I'd prefer to keep it somewhere where it can stay hidden if I get pulled over, but I don't know where else to keep it without it being a PITA to access.

I would pull your papers out of there and keep them either in your wallet, or up in the visor. or in the console. avoid that situation at all costs! What they will most likely do is have you exit the vehicle slowly, pat you down, possibly cuff you(for the officer's safety), and he will grab the paperwork himself. From an officer safety standpoint thats the safest way, although pretty damn uncomfortable for the civilian.

Don't tell me you are toting around a .500 S&W Mag, like you've mentioned in the past. :laugh: :laugh:

LOL no, I wanted to get one for fun, but then I realized how expensive a box of fun for one of those is :conceited

I would pull your papers out of there and keep them either in your wallet, or up in the visor. or in the console. avoid that situation at all costs! What they will most likely do is have you exit the vehicle slowly, pat you down, possibly cuff you(for the officer's safety), and he will grab the paperwork himself. From an officer safety standpoint thats the safest way, although pretty damn uncomfortable for the civilian.

Good idea, I'll just stick the papers in the center console. Dunno why I didn't think of that.
:twak: for me.

I highly recommend getting one of those visor organizer dealys, and keeping all required paperwork in there. Officer approaches vehicle, your hands are on the steering wheel, and it's just a slight reach to the visor, with your hands in plain view at all times. Much more comfortable for the Officer, and he/she will really appreciate that. IMO, the Glove box and or center console are the absolute worst places to put documentation that will likely at some point and time, need to be retrieved in the presence of an LEO, and I hate to stereotype, but especially if you appear to be shady.

Last edited:
Back