• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Career change?

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe it's time, but what to do?

I've been in HVAC for damn near 20 years and maybe it's time to do something different. I ain't getting any younger and the spine takes a little longer to loosen up than it used to.

So what to do?

Seems everyone is into computers/IT :geek:
....so that market is flooded.

Retail?
Not here and certainly not now.

Sales?
I'm the worst salesman in the world, so sense even considering that.

Real Estate?
BWAHAHAHAHA.......

Insurance?
See the above......

So here's me...:looser:.

What did you guys do when it was time for a change?

Last edited:
Maybe it's time, but what to do?

I've been in HVAC for damn near 20 years and maybe it's time to do something different. I ain't getting any younger and the spine takes a little longer to loosen up than it used to.

So what to do?

Seems everyone is into computers/IT :geek:
....so that market is flooded.

Retail?
Not here and certainly not now.

Sales?
I'm the worst salesman in the world, so sense even considering that.

Real Estate?
BWAHAHAHAHA.......

Insurance?
See the above......

So here's me...:looser:.

What did you guys do when it was time for a change?

I quit my job got back in college and moved to FoCo.

How about a handyman business?

I went to law school and mortgaged my future. don't do that.

new gig is rockin it for ya, huh?

Get elected to Congress. You should be able to run on the curmudgeon ticket and say what you feel.

Get elected to Congress. You should be able to run on the curmudgeon ticket and say what you feel.

THIS!!! :laugh:

You are a skilled mechanic, you have a great rep as a jeep mech,so rent a shop and start a jeep shop.
thanks...but not sure there's enough work out there.

Under-equipped.....
:(

I went to law school and mortgaged my future. don't do that.

new gig is rockin it for ya, huh?

You saying I'm old?

No need to state the obvious.

I'm thinkin' Donut-Vendor....
Troy?

I've been contemplating this myself. I'm an uneducated diesel mechanic who has spent most of his life since HS in military/government employ. I'm currently working on getting my CDL (work is paying for it) so that's my primary back up. Other than that I'd be looking at law enforcement, forest service, or going back to school and getting a degree that'll help me capitilize on my many years in the maintenance field plus my leadership experience in the military. Lastly, I'm looking into becoming a SnapOn dealer as its something I've always been curious about.

I've got 8years before I can retire from the National Guard and it is highly unlikely I'll be able to stay in the Guard long enough to actually retire from my Federal Job (wich is a requirement of my employment). As such I'll be looking to start a new career at 38yrs old and rolling all my TSP funds into a self managed 401K or the like. I'm trying to figure what that other career will be and start the ground work now.

Maybe you could look into employment with the bigger HVAC companies as a supervisor/foreman? Home appraisal, Insurance claims adjuster, etc. HVAC code compliance inspector? Large facility maintenance supervisor?

Last edited:
I'm thinkin' Donut-Vendor....

I hope this was just a poke. My wife and I opened and ran a very unsuccessful donut shop for 15 months. You have to sell a crap-ton of donuts just to pay the rent.

The worst part is that I still love donuts. :doh:

I closed up my biz and went to work for a large HVAC company. Pay isn't too bad, but I only get paid for the hours I bill.

That's all fine and dandy if I get 40 hours worth of calls in a week.

Potential for advancement doesn't look promising either.

Restarting my own gig isn't an option anymore. once you've closed up shop and rolled up the sidewalk out front it's damn near impossible to re-establish trust with your former customers.

Can't afford to go to school full time.

I'm thinkin' Welfare might be a good career choice. I could be a 47%'er with a little effort.

I am a solar guy. Work in the industry and instruct it at a local college. Been seeing quite a few HVAC guys making the switch over to renewable energy

What about a welder? I would think you could get into classes to get certified and not be enrolled full time. You already have experience with it. Probably not the easiest job, but don't pro welders get paid pretty well?

Is Serious not enough for full time?

The big dollar welding jobs seem to involve traveling, and being out of work for part of the year. The steady jobs don't pay squat.

What about a welder? I would think you could get into classes to get certified and not be enrolled full time. You already have experience with it. Probably not the easiest job, but don't pro welders get paid pretty well?

Is Serious not enough for full time?
Mike nailed it.
No Serious OffRoad doesn't generate enough money to live off of. Lot's of folks think that if you are selling online you're makin' money hand over fist.....and that couldn't be farther from the truth. The margins suck.

Maybe someday I'll be able to devote more time to SEO and improve my google ranking, but I'm still competing with people that are happy to make $2 on a $100 sale.

The big dollar welding jobs seem to involve traveling, and being out of work for part of the year. The steady jobs don't pay squat.
Troof!!
And there are a lot of out of work welders right now.

And going to school isn't at all a requirement to get work as a welder, actually knowing how to weld is. Most jobs will want to re-certify anyways even if you just certified at school.

Hard to find work welding the last few years. Unions are where the moneys at right now. Plenty of dollars to chase if you're into traveling though.

I've had three careers. The first was being a student. In between working and going to school, I quit that career at 30. BTW, any of you that think being a grad student in Chem E isn't work, go and try it. Not being able to find a job in my field, being broke and stuck in fort fun didn't help, I reverted to the work that helped pay for school, working in kitchens. I moved from washing dishes by hand to being the second chef in a fine dining restaurant in a couple of years. Then I moved into contract food service and went from being the swing cook to Food Service director. When I was laid off from that, I tried to stay in food service, but it wasn't happening here. So, since I was overeducated anyway, I bought into the silicon mt. dreams that COS had, and became a peon in a semiconductor fab. It took being laid off many times, and changing jobs, but eventually I earned the title of process engineer. Now, I'm too freaking old to get a job with that title. Employers do discriminate based on age. That's my point to you, even if you can find a new career to transition to, and even though you will be better at it than any recent entry into that field because of your overall experience, employers are not comfortable with untraditional routes to careers. That's my experience, anyway.

PM me who you work for, so I can ask for you. I don't like changing HVAC guys. It's an age thing. :)

I was just throwing ideas out as far as the welding thing.

I didn't think Serious would be enough, otherwise you wouldn't be looking for another career! More just curious.

My dad had this dilemma a few years ago, so I hear what you are saying. I wish I had a magic bullet for ya Frank. Best of luck though.

Back