• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Career change?

If you don't mind being away from home going OTR will probably keep you paid where you need to be. If you don't mind physical labor then you can make similar money working for beer or soda companoies delivering, you just have to load and unload your truck yourself. Equipment rental companies pay their drivers pretty well too.

Frank Z said:
You saying I'm old?

No need to state the obvious.
I enrolled at the local Community College, a quarter-century after graduating High School. I came to the conclusion that many of my classmates, and a few of my instructors, were lacking in "life experience."

If I learned anything, it was to not sell myself short.

You could become a Democrat!!!!!

That is just mean. Besides Colorado is already over quota on half wits.

Have you thought about a fab shop, maybe machine shop. As much as you like to build things it would right up your ally. You would certainly already have the base line skills.

machining aint a horrible gig, depending on the shop. i've been doing it for 16 years now, in all different facets. good money to be made with the right shop. if you have any leadership skills, even better. i find it to be the happy medium between working your ass off and sitting behind a desk. generally you're in a climate controlled shop too. starting pay for a machine operator should be around $15/hr, but $30-40/hr isnt out of the question for some shops once you get some good experience under your belt.

Frank, If your going to re-do HVAC, get out of retail and get into commercial stuff. No money in the retail trenches, just duking it out with others over pennies on the dollar.

I'd be inclined to pawn my practical knowledge for something to do with controls, or even as mentioned, something overseeing or teaching other HVAC Techs.

When I left retail electronics, I got into life-safety commercial equipment. The pay was initially about the same, but a whole lot less unpleasantness with customers.

I been thinking about driving the big rigs lately.

Have you looked into working for the retail HVAC houses? I know you said retail was off the table, but Im sure someone who knows WTF they are selling can do fairly well.

There is a CD Jones in the 'springs, a Trane and maybe others? RSD opened a new place here in Denver, wonder if they are thinking about farther down south.

What sort of education do you have? Have any experience other than residential HVAC stuff?

My buddy is a SnapOn dealer and he does well. The best part is you only have to work half days! (just pick which 12 hours you want).

Uuuff....A good buddy of mine back in Florida was a SnapOn dealer and he was absolutely miserable. He loved the job itself, but the territory requires you to literally work yourself ragged. Not sure how it would be in Colorado, but there's no point in making money if you have no time to spend it.

Unless you have a wife like mine who spends it for you ;)

Tool truck guys always bitch about past-due accounts and mechanics suddenly disappearing/getting fired, etc. Lots of driving and in a heavy van getting crappy fuel mileage.

I think that job would suck.

Start growing medicinal pot? I'm sure lots of guys around here could show you how. Have I told you how bad my headaches are?

Maybe it's time, but what to do?

I've been in HVAC for damn near 20 years and maybe it's time to do something different. I ain't getting any younger and the spine takes a little longer to loosen up than it used to.

So what to do?

Seems everyone is into computers/IT :geek:
....so that market is flooded.

Retail?
Not here and certainly not now.

Sales?
I'm the worst salesman in the world, so sense even considering that.

Real Estate?
BWAHAHAHAHA.......

Insurance?
See the above......

So here's me...:looser:.

What did you guys do when it was time for a change?
went from autobody to computers. also really getting jazzed for sidework making things from carbon fiber and kevlar. very interesting sidework!!

Start growing medicinal pot? I'm sure lots of guys around here could show you how. Have I told you how bad my headaches are?

Market is completely flooded, don't waste your time.

The legalization of marijuana for medical use was bad enough a couple of years ago. This last push with amendment 64 has made it insane.

It's hardly worth the electricity, water, nutrients, and time invested anymore when you can't sell your product for a penny over $200.00/oz

5 years ago I'd charge twice that.

Back