• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all hp30 ring gear carnage witnesses

What were you running when carnage occured?

• 4.10 or higher, stock carrier

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • 4.56 or lower, stock carrier

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • 4.56 or lower, full case locker

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 4.56 or lower, full case locker, truss/ hd cover or some form of stiffening the housing

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 4.10 or higher, full case locker

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 4.10 or higher, full case locker, truss/hd cover or some form of stiffening the housing

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
I broke a stock carrier in half with 4:56's and an aussie on 33's and the ring and pinion were fine. The stock carrier needs some work done to remove sharp edges to improve longevity but in reality a full case locker is much better.

This honestly seems like a no-brainer to me:

DAN706025X%20D44%203.90%20&%20up%20case.jpg

VS

978f147364620a67f9eb4a27cdd50661.image.524x550.jpg

Consider that any carrier flex greatly reduces the ring gears torque capacity, and it becomes pretty obvious where the issue lies.

This honestly seems like a no-brainer to me:

DAN706025X%20D44%203.90%20&%20up%20case.jpg

VS

978f147364620a67f9eb4a27cdd50661.image.524x550.jpg

Consider that any carrier flex greatly reduces the ring gears torque capacity, and it becomes pretty obvious where the issue lies.

duh

i hear of ring gear carnage on dana30's constantly and before i go out and build one I want to know how many happened with a full case locker and stiff housing.

so far i'm not convinced

I have 4.56's with stock carrier and an Aussie locker with a ruff stuff diff cover. Broke an Alloy USA shaft, not joint, where the splines go into the locker. Running 35's and steel beadlocks. That's the only issue I have ever had and it was a fluke.

Never broke a R&P or had any issues.

I've witnessed a 4.56 with an ARB/30 spline and Solid cover chew one up though.

Last edited:
96 XJ, HP D30 Original to XJ
Alloy USA inner and outers with 760s
4.56:1 Dana gears
TruTrac
No truss
Stock cover
Synthetic fluid
33x10.5" BFG A/T KOs

ring_pinion.jpg

nut.jpg

The pinion nut striped when in reverse on Rock Creek. This caused the pinion gear to get sucked into the ring gear and TruTrac unit. The TruTrac was scraped up but not damaged and I reused it with a new set of Nitro gears. The housing was not tweaked in any way even though the ring gear suffered stress fractures and the pinion bearings were dented. I'll post more pictures if anyone is interested.

--Matt

96 XJ, HP D30 Original to XJ
Alloy USA inner and outers with 760s
4.56:1 Dana gears
TruTrac
No truss
Stock cover
Synthetic fluid
33x10.5" BFG A/T KOs

ring_pinion.jpg

nut.jpg

The pinion nut striped when in reverse on Rock Creek. This caused the pinion gear to get sucked into the ring gear and TruTrac unit. The TruTrac was scraped up but not damaged and I reused it with a new set of Nitro gears. The housing was not tweaked in any way even though the ring gear suffered stress fractures and the pinion bearings were dented. I'll post more pictures if anyone is interested.

--Matt

the way the pinion nut stripped intrigues me

was it built using crush sleeves or preload shims? who torqued that nut down and how tight?

The torque on a D-30 pinion nut should be between 200-300 ftlbs. I set mine at 250

I'm setting up a HP D-30 with 4.88's, stock carrier, Aussie, RuffStuff cover, Longfield birfs, and a bunch of truss work. The truss will be tied into the cover as well. Obviously the carrier and R&P are the weak spot. I contemplated cryo-ing the gears but I could not find anyone locally who has done it.

I sure the heck hope it holds up on 35's but i will carry spare parts to get me home on though.

the way the pinion nut stripped intrigues me
was it built using crush sleeves or preload shims? who torqued that nut down and how tight?

All shims. All high pinion Jeep D30s use shims, it was the low pinion that could be either.

I torqued the nut, don't know exactly the number, but I have FSMs that I go by. The nut was also loc-tited.

--Matt

All shims. All high pinion Jeep D30s use shims, it was the low pinion that could be either.

I torqued the nut, don't know exactly the number, but I have FSMs that I go by. The nut was also loc-tited.

--Matt

interesting, never seen that before

How are you planning on doing this? I have a thread about this right now and am trying to get some ideas...

My 44 in the rear has a truss that ties into the cover. The cover is a Great Lake Offroad unit. I welded a right angle piece, about 4" wide, to the top of the cover. The angled piece bolts to a 1/2" plate welded to the truss using 3, 1/2" grade 8 fine thread bolts. Using this approach, you should be able to to the same on a front truss.

--Matt

My 44 in the rear has a truss that ties into the cover. The cover is a Great Lake Offroad unit. I welded a right angle piece, about 4" wide, to the top of the cover. The angled piece bolts to a 1/2" plate welded to the truss using 3, 1/2" grade 8 fine thread bolts. Using this approach, you should be able to to the same on a front truss.

--Matt

Sounds very similar to what I'm probably going to do. Happen to have any pictures? I'd like to see how the angle ties into the cover.

Sounds very similar to what I'm probably going to do. Happen to have any pictures? I'd like to see how the angle ties into the cover.

Sure, let me see what I can dig up.

--Matt

Had a friend that shaved the teeth off his ring gear at 4.88s and 35's. He was playing on the wall in his driveway only a week after he put them in....

How are you planning on doing this? I have a thread about this right now and am trying to get some ideas...

I havent gotten that far yet. I finished the gear set-up last week and I'm cutting the truss out of some 2x4x1/4 box this weekend. Once I get the truss on there I'll figure out how I'm going to tie it all in. Most likely I will have to come off of the RuffStuff cover ata angle to the truss since the UCA mount is almost directly above the center of the cover.

Had a friend that shaved the teeth off his ring gear at 4.88s and 35's. He was playing on the wall in his driveway only a week after he put them in....

Kyle probably just didn't install them right the first time :)

Only time I ever hurt gears in a 30 it just took a little chunk out of one of the pinion teeth. High pinion, 4.56, Dana gears. Reversing up a big wall and heard a pop. 3 months later doing my annual teardown inspection noted the missing piece, couldn't find it in the diff and everything else looked ok. I think that XJ's still running the same gearset, 6 years later.

Back