• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buggy building on a budget

how about an up date on the buggy thoughts Goatman any new ideas?

Goatman said:
What wheelbase did you and Bryan go with?

Mine is 107" with 39's. Took it on its first drive this past weekend, holy shizzel...The massaged LS1 has more than enough power. On a full throttle take of the Kralwers turned over once or so and then picked the drivers side front weel about 6" off the ground ( in 2wd). Over 400hp is gonna be nice for the east coast wheeling...

000_0057.jpg

100_3001.jpg

1.jpg

100_3000.jpg

steagall9301 said:
how about an up date on the buggy thoughts Goatman any new ideas?

Yeah, I have some new ideas. I had so much fun bombing around Baja and Truckhaven that I'm going to finish out my yellow rig with bad boy shocks and air bumps, and maybe even link the rear, before I start on a buggy. I want to be able to pre-run, so I've decided not to water down my current rig. Money is tight in the next year to complete a buggy project, but I can scrape enough together to trick out the suspension on the current rig. Air bumps are definite in the rear. Shocks are still open, but the SAW coilovers I have sitting around could finally find their way onto the rig. The front will either get air bumbs to go with the 7100's, or I'll switch to bypass shocks. I need more info on the bypasses. The rear needs some re-working to allow more uptravel with the 37's, and I could use a few more inches of wheelbase to fit the air bumps and whatever shocks I end up with. Lot's of options with the rear.

I've decided I have as much fun running fast through the desert as I do rock crawling, so I'm not quite ready yet to build a dedicated crawler. If I decided to build a buggy that could also be a pre-runner, then there are slightly different build perameters that I'm not ready to deal with yet. As some of you know, I can change my mind like a woman. Right now, I want to do some desert running to see how much I like it, and I mean more than hauling ass back and forth to the trail.

We'll see....... :)

Capt. Nemo said:
...and then we would have to learn how to weld for real :looney:
2X
I'm a lot more trusting at 2 mph.

Goatman said:
I've decided I have as much fun running fast through the desert as I do rock crawling, so I'm not quite ready yet to build a dedicated crawler.

Does this mean you will finally get rid of the short control arms? They will be a huge limiting factor once you get to the 14" travel level.

Center limit straps and desert running don't play well together........ :D

CRASH said:
Does this mean you will finally get rid of the short control arms? They will be a huge limiting factor once you get to the 14" travel level.

Center limit straps and desert running don't play well together........ :D

Thought about that, but I can live with 12" of travel in the front if I can get a bunch in the back. No way I'm redesigning the front suspension. Mine works very well with 12". :)

I already decided I'm putting limit straps on the ends. BTW, did you guys notice that short body 7100's don't have 12" of travel, they only have 11.5". I notice that .5". Also, if I go to a 14" travel shock, I can set it up so I have an inch of bump travel left at the fullest stuff giving me 13" of usable travel which would be just right for my setup. One problem though, no one makes a short body bypass shock........

Goatman said:
Thought about that, but I can live with 12" of travel in the front if I can get a bunch in the back. No way I'm redesigning the front suspension. Mine works very well with 12". :)

I already decided I'm putting limit straps on the ends. BTW, did you guys notice that short body 7100's don't have 12" of travel, they only have 11.5". I notice that .5". Also, if I go to a 14" travel shock, I can set it up so I have an inch of bump travel left at the fullest stuff giving me 13" of usable travel which would be just right for my setup. One problem though, no one makes a short body bypass shock........

There is an internal bump on 7100's that compresses that last half-inch. I could use another inch of compression travel, so I'll probably revalve the 275/78's and move them to the back, then put 14's up front with 275/78. I need to move the mount up under the hood to do the 14's, though, and that has to happen in conjunction with the under hood cage extension, which doesn't look like it's going to happen this winter. :D Too close to wheeling season to mess around too much more. Just want to button up the front suspension/Atlas install, tie the cage to the firewall, and go wheeling. :)

Back