• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buggy building on a budget

xj4moab said:
That looks really good but how can you justify the cost? it has been in the back of my mind to do on mine
At first 20k was my budget....Total including the price of parts I already had I'm closing in on the 30k mark quickly. I've driven used cars, worked my ass off building my business for the last 10 years, got my wife out of college for the 2nd time last year and have two payments left on my business until I owe nothing on it. This was my reward for always having stuff that was "good enough" while making sacrifices to keep up with my responsibilities. I am building our "dream" house next year and starting a family (thank god my wife is younger than I) so this is it, my last hoorah. The cost of the powder coating wasn't bad (relatively speaking) $500 for the chassis and all suspension parts, I just wasn't going to half ass it after dumping all that time and money into it.

BIGWOODY said:
More expense into the "budget"..lol ..back from powder coating..no need to halfstep..

100_24301.jpg

Damn Greg you left out the seating for the family! You'll have to give me that one and build another one in a few years! LOL!

Well said :laugh3:

BIGWOODY said:
At first 20k was my budget....Total including the price of parts I already had I'm closing in on the 30k mark quickly. I've driven used cars, worked my ass off building my business for the last 10 years, got my wife out of college for the 2nd time last year and have two payments left on my business until I owe nothing on it. This was my reward for always having stuff that was "good enough" while making sacrifices to keep up with my responsibilities. I am building our "dream" house next year and starting a family (thank god my wife is younger than I) so this is it, my last hoorah. The cost of the powder coating wasn't bad (relatively speaking) $500 for the chassis and all suspension parts, I just wasn't going to half ass it after dumping all that time and money into it.

Nope, haven't started yet. I feel like a woman as I keep changing my mind about things. :)

I do have to keep to the budget theme, since funds will be limited. I have so much into my current rig, easily 30k+ over the last 10 years, that I can't justify a big expense on another rig, even if I had it.

The basic plan as it looks now (if I don't change my mind again) is to build using a '93 XJ that I've found for about $800. It's all there mechanically, auto with a 231 and a basic lift, and the back has already been cut off. I found a GM D60 that I can get, and a HP44 center section, and would like to build a hybrid 60 using a 35 spline ARB in the D44 center section. For the rear I'll swap the Tera60 from my rig into the buggy, and I already have an XJ D44 that I'll put a 33 spline Super 44 kit into for my current rig. I still have a set of 35" MT/R's that I'll put back on the yellow Jeep, and put the 37's and beadlocks on the buggy. The front hybrid 60 will get 5 lug hubs and 1/2 ton brakes so the 15" aluminum rims will fit. Gears will be the 5.13's. I won't have dough for a t-case right away, so I'll see how the light weight and 5.13's work with the auto and stock t-case gearing.

There won't be much left of the XJ. Narrowed in front, no windshield, narrowed on the bottom, no floor behind the two seats. The only problem is that a plan is formulating but I don't have the money yet.........only a minor problem. :)

Hey Bryan and bigwoody, what size and type of tubing did you guys use?

xj4moab said:
It sounds like you have the plan down I used 1.5" DOM and a few small sections are 1" HREW

What did you use for springs and shocks?

I am running 2.5" Fox air shocks 14" front 16" rear. I was going to run Bilstein 9100 coilovers but a local comp buggy shop talked me into air shocks not to sure about them yet, Led said he loved his so we'll see how they do. They are cheap at only 200 a whack i could barely get the coils and spring kit for the bilstein's

Goatman said:
What did you use for springs and shocks?

Goatman said:
Nope, haven't started yet. I feel like a woman as I keep changing my mind about things. :)

I do have to keep to the budget theme, since funds will be limited. I have so much into my current rig, easily 30k+ over the last 10 years, that I can't justify a big expense on another rig, even if I had it.

The basic plan as it looks now (if I don't change my mind again) is to build using a '93 XJ that I've found for about $800. It's all there mechanically, auto with a 231 and a basic lift, and the back has already been cut off. I found a GM D60 that I can get, and a HP44 center section, and would like to build a hybrid 60 using a 35 spline ARB in the D44 center section. For the rear I'll swap the Tera60 from my rig into the buggy, and I already have an XJ D44 that I'll put a 33 spline Super 44 kit into for my current rig. I still have a set of 35" MT/R's that I'll put back on the yellow Jeep, and put the 37's and beadlocks on the buggy. The front hybrid 60 will get 5 lug hubs and 1/2 ton brakes so the 15" aluminum rims will fit. Gears will be the 5.13's. I won't have dough for a t-case right away, so I'll see how the light weight and 5.13's work with the auto and stock t-case gearing.

There won't be much left of the XJ. Narrowed in front, no windshield, narrowed on the bottom, no floor behind the two seats. The only problem is that a plan is formulating but I don't have the money yet.........only a minor problem. :)

Hey Bryan and bigwoody, what size and type of tubing did you guys use?

Not a bad plan, but what happened to the MJ thing? Isn't this rig going to be a bit cold and wet when it rains in Arizona? :) Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Not a bad plan, but what happened to the MJ thing? Isn't this rig going to be a bit cold and wet when it rains in Arizona? :) Jeff
Comon Jeff, it never rains in Arizona.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:

I guess if you're going to do it, you might as well do it all the way. There's no sense cutting down a perfectly good MJ if the top is going to come off, no difference then so I might as well cut down a cheap XJ and sell the MJ for some build money.

I don't want to build a tube chassis from scratch, just to save the time and effort to mount pedals, gauges, run brake lines, etc. Won't be much left of the XJ, though.

Yes, it will be cold and wet. Oh well. :D

BIGWOODY said:
An end is nearing in both the project and the funding..lol

DSCF0210.jpg

What wheelbase did you and Bryan go with?

BIGWOODY said:
An end is nearing in both the project and the funding..lol

DSCF0210.jpg

Let me knwo when you test it at Uwharrie.... I got's to see that thing in action.... especially since you will need a new one for the "family" lmao... :wave:

Goatman said:
What wheelbase did you and Bryan go with?

I am at 105"
I never did think about all of the little things you have to do when you build a car from the ground up next time i might start with a jeep agian :mad:

346325%3B63%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3257%3E6%3B6%3E58%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323352%3A%3B476%3A%3Bnu0mrj

346325%3B63%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3257%3E6%3B6%3E58%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323352%3B58%3A3%3B9nu0mrj

Last edited:
That might be the sweetest looking buggy I have seen!! Very sweet lines------------Kyle

xj4moab said:
I am at 105"
I never did think about all of the little things you have to do when you build a car from the ground up next time i might start with a jeep agian :mad:

Bryan, that's looking real good. You and Greg are building very nice rigs. Yeah, the time it's going to take is already bad enough. I'll live with a little extra weight to have the steering, brake lines, pedals, controls, gauges, wiring, linkage, mounts, seats, etc. already there.

I'm going to go with 105" wheelbase, sounds about the best to me. I have Racerunner coilovers already for the front, and will probably go with the air shocks in the rear. Are you going to put a sway bar in the rear?

Goatman said:

Working on a similar set up, too....Plan is 4-link/coils. Rear will have 'fenders' because of all the muddy trails we run around here. Lot's of tube left to bend up, but this should give you a general idea. W.B. should be right at 100".

DSC02155.jpg

Ignore the scrap piece in front of the wheel opening...just tacked there to check an angle.

DSC02152.jpg

That was the plan to run coilovers in front because i had a set of Bilstein 9100's but they were 16" and i needed 14" so i wouldn't have to run a big shock hoop i am sure it will work the way i have it if i dont like it just have to change it

I am going to run a sway bar in the rear and a Small ATV winch i like the idea of being able to lower the whole thing down.

Goatman said:
I'm going to go with 105" wheelbase, sounds about the best to me. I have Racerunner coilovers already for the front, and will probably go with the air shocks in the rear. Are you going to put a sway bar in the rear?

Budget Buggy building...
about a year ago, i decided the xj was not going to do it any more for me and that a buggy was needed. Original plan was to transplant everything from the 90 xj (4.0,ax15 300 w/4;1,waggy 44 front,yota rear) and build a chassis on a YJ frame.
Well, we all know how it goes. ended up with a Warmed up 95 4.0, New 999 tranny, same 300, and same axles. full Hydro steering. Built a cage around it. used the existing Rusty's 6" front coils, stock tj rears, 4 links at both ends. here it is
DPG11406040.jpg

Been really happy with this thing. used a rear mounted stock XJ rad with 2 factory electric fans, never gets hot! Now i've gegun to build a full bodied rig again.
Richard, i'd say, scrap the 231 (300 is not that expensive, even flipped, and front digs are more usefull than i'd ever thought!)
Hope this helps. Good luck

Back