• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buggy building on a budget

lugie said:
Richard:

1/2 ton brakes on the D60 front and 15's are no problem, not too mention some weight loss.

Forget the 44, build something cool. I agree with Crash. A buggy without a V8 or a turbo just isn't as much fun.

I really want a hybrid 60 for the front, even if I don't build a buggy/truggy. I need to learn more about the 1/2 ton brakes on the 60 outers. I know the hub can be turned down and drilled, or 5 lug hubs bought from Parts Mike and a couple of other places. What caliper bracket do you use for the 1/2 ton brakes, or do you have to make one?

You see, if I don't build the MJ, I'll end up extending and linking the rear, which means I'll have to cut some more body and redo some tubing in the back, and I'll want a hybrid front axle. At some point, it seems a shame to keep cutting this one up more when I have a junk MJ I can work on.

:dunno:

But, since I'm lazy, I can web fab. Seems to work for plenty of others.

:D

Goatman said:
Just keep what you have, you already have a quasi buggy, it's not worth it......

you have good axles, just move them over......

If you're going to do it, you should go all the way and use portals.......

A buggy should be a buggy, screw the MJ and the windshield.....

I'M SO CONFUSED....... :confused1

:eek:

i said it yesterday and i will give my .02 again, JUNK YARD WARS!! its obvious you have the means to do it the $$ way just by the looks of Big Bird, and i really dont know you at all other than right here in cyber space but..........

you did it beautifull once, now do it EXTREEM!! go true buggy and 60's, V8 and all keeping the $ to a minimum. see what develops out of a budget seuited to a trailer park instead of a country club. and thats my thoughts.

I'm slowly coming around to BrettM's thinking about Toyota's.

If strong, light, (relatively) inexpensive, and good clearance is what you want, then I'd seriously look at the Toy axles. Gears available up to 6.71, multiple locker options, and hi-pinions.

For the rear..... start with a late model 4-runner 8", disk brakes, gears, lincon-locker, and 300M shafts.

For the front......get an FJ80 housing (hi-pinion standard), gears, factory E-locker, and a set the new Longfield Super Birfs (comparable to alloy 60's).

37" to 39" tires will be NO problem with a light rig on these axles and
15" wheels will work, although you'd have to get some with 6-lugs.

Something to think about...

I've said it many times, I love Toyota stuff, within limits.

But PLEASE, they are 30 spline axles. 30 splines is still 30 splines, no matter what the material. In deep rocks with big tires, they are going ot break.

xjcrawlr said:
I'm slowly coming around to BrettM's thinking about Toyota's.

If strong, light, (relatively) inexpensive, and good clearance is what you want, then I'd seriously look at the Toy axles. Gears available up to 6.71, multiple locker options, and hi-pinions.

For the rear..... start with a late model 4-runner 8", disk brakes, gears, lincon-locker, and 300M shafts.

For the front......get an FJ80 housing (hi-pinion standard), gears, factory E-locker, and a set the new Longfield Super Birfs (comparable to alloy 60's).

37" to 39" tires will be NO problem with a light rig on these axles and
15" wheels will work, although you'd have to get some with 6-lugs.

Something to think about...

I worked for Toyota for 10 years. I'm done with them.

Marlin Crawler is a good personal friend. I still won't run Toyota stuff.

I know Toyota stuff is good, but why do so many big tired 'yota's run Dana axles?

Goatman said:
I know Toyota stuff is good, but why do so many big tired 'yota's run Dana axles?

(1) width, wider custom front 8" housings are a recent development
(2) birfs, the 30 spline 300m birfs have only been out a couple months, and now many guys are running them successfully on 39-42" tires.

but that question was rhetorical, now wasn't it? :laugh3:

You need boatsides, a linked rear, and a longer wheelbase. Otherwise Matt will keep walking the last fall on Wreckingball and you will keep getting denied. Just pick your vehicle.

BrettM said:
You need boatsides, a linked rear, and a longer wheelbase.

Richard,
I will not be offended in any way if you'd like to copy my junk.

Seriously.

Really, I don't care.

Go ahead.

All kidding aside, I can't see how "buggy" and "budget" can be used in the same sentence. It's either a budget beater or a buggy. Even with connections a reliable, cheap, and capable rig is the the Holy Grail of our hobby.

-Jon

Here's the "BUDGET" buggy I told my wife I was building......whatever your budget is..double it and you might be close to what it'll really cost.

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

That looks quite thrifty.

CRASH said:
That looks quite thrifty.
Everybody has their own budget. This is one instance where size counts, budget size that is...

So Richard,
Was Steve (I think his name was Steve, He followed us up Back Door) cutting his rig up or did he get a new one to cut up. He seemed like a hell of a nice guy.

Lupine said:
Don't even think about it, babe. I *STILL* don't have my own rig. And now I'm knocked up. Jakazz.
I had to check your location, cause you sound like an echo of my wife. Of course her being knocked up would have been news to me. My MJ was suppose to be hers...but someone offered me more money than she had..lol

Lupine said:
Don't even think about it, babe. I *STILL* don't have my own rig. And now I'm knocked up. Jakazz.

So, he works on everyone else's rig and keeps you tied down at home........what a guy.

So, URF'd?

:D

:wave:

How are the little kicks doing?

Two weeks, max. Then it's :rattle:

FarmerMatt said:
So Richard,
Was Steve (I think his name was Steve, He followed us up Back Door) cutting his rig up or did he get a new one to cut up. He seemed like a hell of a nice guy.

He got another one to cut up, for nothing or next to nothing. Got a couple hundred dollars of tube and started cutting. Nice shop there at the school, bender, plasma cutter, etc. So far, nothing in front of the core support, windshield is gone, fenders are gone, floor is there to just behind the front seats. Caged, tubed to the front, and tubed out the back, working on the link mounts. It'll be super cheapo, and just for the fun of it. He's got the blue tubed XJ, and a TJ on 37's, so this would be to let the kids play around in. He's got a few axles laying around, a set or two of front and rear Waggy's, and a GM front D60 and 35 spline semi-float rear D60 with matching gears, plus a couple of XJ D44's. He's gonna run it stock till they break something.

I haven't scrolled to the end of the thread, but that's the plan for my MJ. Front HP44 with D60 outers and 35 spline ARB/axles. Not exactly inexpensive though. I've already got the D60 inner C's at a buddy's who is supposedly going to open up the axle stub still welded in them so they'll fit on the D44 tubes. The rear is going to be a HP60 center section with the short tube replaced with a long tube and adapters to mount D60 front spindles for full float. Then add custom double splined 35 spline shafts and some sort of 35 spline locker. That one's not cheap either though. :( These axles will be labor intensive too I suppose. That's my plan for MJ buggy axles though. Jeff

Goatman said:
Has anyone heard of weakness problems with a 35 spline D44 ARB?

Wish there was a 35 slpine D44 spool, which should be stronger.

Again, I haven't made it to the end of the thread, but I did see pics of a Superior full float D44 kit that I think used 33 or 35 spline shafts. Might be something to look into. Jeff

Goatman said:
An interesting thought is how well a spooled 35 spline D44 would hold up in a buggy with 37's. It would be a fairly cheap axle to build, and would already be the right width, with good ground clearance.

I have trouble getting out of my mind that I broke a D44 ring and pinion on 33's, but there could have been extenuating circumstances. Who else has broken D44 gears?

BIGWOODY said:
I had to check your location, cause you sound like an echo of my wife. Of course her being knocked up would have been news to me. My MJ was suppose to be hers...but someone offered me more money than she had..lol

So you sold the MJ buggy? What's the rear axle in your new buggy? Must be a 9", but with that truss it looks like some sort of custom square housing. Jeff

Back