• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bluish-grey rear axle oil? Yikes.

jtl909

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the oil in my rear diff (Chrysler 8.25 on a 95 Sport) and it was dark grey with almost a bluish tint to it. Am I being paranoid or is this metalic particulate matter as a result of sheer? Smelled nasty, too.

I looked! I looked! I'm a relative newb and I do search but sometimes you gotta get the search criteria just right in order to hit on the right article.

As far as the smell, good Lord. I've had a couple Budweisers and I can still taste it in my sinuses. I'm not kidding, either!

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. Makes me feel a lot better.

Whenever I'm draining anything, including engine oil, I always throw a big ol' magnet in there and fish it out later to see if I have any metal coming out of the (particular) fluid. When I changed my diff fluid it smelled funky and was a dark bluish-gray, but no metal. My TC fluid had a little bit of metal shavings, but no chunks. I always change everything waaaay before it's due since I'm driving an 18 yr. old rig. Gotta keep things going.

Gear oil is not engine oil or AT fluid, smells different.

Back