• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown 4.0 HO???

Newbie94XJ said:
Should I put a supercharger on my 4.0???

Whyever not? The only problem I've been running into is CARB - but that's because I've got a RENIX (which probably would run better and cleaner than nearly anything else, given the smog reports I've got on file...)

5-90

that makes since but is it cheaper?? plus i want more power to blow away those little rally cars and what not

CanMan said:
Money, time doing it. It would be cool in a Cherokee, dont get me wrong, but id rather dump 4k into a classic, because the turnout would be worth more $$$ in the end. To each his own. My .02.

Newbie94XJ said:
Should I put a supercharger on my 4.0???

How many miles on the engine?
Before you think about bolting on any form of forced induction that's going to substantially increase cylinder pressure, I strongly advise you do a compression check on all cylinders first. If you're losing compression through worn piston rings or worn valves/valve seats, this is the time to find out.
Your Jeep is probably only worth $4000 if that, so does it really make sense to spend that much again on a supercharger? You could spend half of that and build a kickass 4.6L stroker.

180,000+.... well see its not about hoiw much the rig will be worth its... I wanna have jeep that can out perform even the best stock rally cars... thats why i am asking... i definatly dont wanna ruin my jeep

Dr. Dyno said:
How many miles on the engine?
Before you think about bolting on any form of forced induction that's going to substantially increase cylinder pressure, I strongly advise you do a compression check on all cylinders first. If you're losing compression through worn piston rings or worn valves/valve seats, this is the time to find out.
Your Jeep is probably only worth $4000 if that, so does it really make sense to spend that much again on a supercharger? You could spend half of that and build a kickass 4.6L stroker.

Newbie94XJ said:
180,000+.... well see its not about hoiw much the rig will be worth its... I wanna have jeep that can out perform even the best stock rally cars... thats why i am asking... i definatly dont wanna ruin my jeep

I don't think your pocket book wants that. See if you can find "clean_rc" here on naxja, he builds rally cars for a living on top of being an avid jeeper and a big supporter of the 4.0L, and can probably give you some good advice.

I dont know why people think inexpensive and high performance can be said in the same sentance together...

sure, you can supercharge your 4.0, but why not like stated before build a 4.6 L stroker out of the motor you have now. that will give you plenty of power.

you cant have a high performance rally jeep that can outperform a lot of the ones you see, without breaking your wallet. it takes a lot of work to get a vehicle to perform well at high speeds off the road (even on gravel) dont expect to put in a supercharger and then be able to race on windy dirt roads at 80 miles an hour...

Newbie94XJ said:
180,000+....

Forget about adding a supercharger for the time being. You'll need to rebuild the engine first before you add any type of forced induction so for what it's worth, you might as well rebuild it into a stroker. Once you've racked up a few thousand miles on the rebuilt engine and seated the rings in properly, THEN you can add a supercharger.

alright kool kool sounds good.... how much would it cost to get somethin like that done???

Dr. Dyno said:
Forget about adding a supercharger for the time being. You'll need to rebuild the engine first before you add any type of forced induction so for what it's worth, you might as well rebuild it into a stroker. Once you've racked up a few thousand miles on the rebuilt engine and seated the rings in properly, THEN you can add a supercharger.

Back