• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown 4.0 HO???

Newbie94XJ said:
ok so it costs 2 grand to bore the displacment out a little more... i'll think bout that

Be correct, it costs 2 grand to -stroke- the displacement out more. Big difference in final effect.

if you any want to kill the girls in the fast imports then try sts and get a boost/ timming retarder and map voltage adjuster and bigger injectors and lots of time on a dyno

If you are really intent on killing a high mileage stock 4.0......get yerself a 100 horse shot of nitrous....it will be more spectacular:explosion and cost a lot less than a supercharger.....BTW, if you really want a supercharger...contact Hesco...

Newbie94XJ said:
ok so it costs 2 grand to bore the displacment out a little more... i'll think bout that

It's not just a mere increase in displacement that you'd be paying for (and it's the stroke that you're increasing mostly; the bore increase is very small), but you'd be having a complete engine rebuild with machine shop work, new crank, rods, pistons, piston rings, camshaft, lifters, oil pump, timing set, bearings, gaskets & seals, freeze plugs, oversize injectors, etc.
Basically you'd have a whole newly remanufactured engine that's 4.6L instead of 4.0L.

Dr. Dyno said:
It's not just a mere increase in displacement that you'd be paying for (and it's the stroke that you're increasing mostly; the bore increase is very small), but you'd be having a complete engine rebuild with machine shop work, new crank, rods, pistons, piston rings, camshaft, lifters, oil pump, timing set, bearings, gaskets & seals, freeze plugs, oversize injectors, etc.
Basically you'd have a whole newly remanufactured engine that's 4.6L instead of 4.0L.
where can i get then kinda stuff done???? and would it all still come out to that price??

Dr. Dyno said:
How many miles on the engine?
Before you think about bolting on any form of forced induction that's going to substantially increase cylinder pressure, I strongly advise you do a compression check on all cylinders first. If you're losing compression through worn piston rings or worn valves/valve seats, this is the time to find out.
Your Jeep is probably only worth $4000 if that, so does it really make sense to spend that much again on a supercharger? You could spend half of that and build a kickass 4.6L stroker.
sorry to drag up such an old thread, but how does a stroker engine stack up to supercharged engine powerwise?

thanks

A supercharger has more potential to crank out the horses but the stroker is more reliable. If you have a high mileage engine you want to go for the stroker because you get 80% if the supercharger's power without having to worry about grenading your engine. Not to mention it only costs 3k vs 4. After your engine is stroked you can always pay to put on a supercharger afterwards. Figure 400 hp out of a 4.6 stoker with the hesco supercharger. There's nohing like being stroked and blown eh?

jekyllrider said:
Is that price just for the parts or would that include install?

$1500 - 2k would be for parts, with you building the motor, removing the old and installing the new. If you could find a shop that would do it and do it reliably I would start my guessing at around $4-5k

Back