• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BLACKLIST! Advanced 4 Wheel Drive Repair in Castle Rock

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
My arse feels like I just did a 30 year sentence in prison.

So here it goes...

I was having a few clunking noises in my TJ and called around a few local 4wd repair shops in the area. Ended up calling Advanced 4 wheel drive repair in Castle Rock. The guy said he would "look at my jeep for free and diagnose the problems". Ive been under the jeep numerous times looking for bad joints, bad t case mounts... etc. I figured it was just a U joint somewhere I didnt look at, or maybe something minor. Id have them look at it and tell me what the problem was, then fix it myself if it wasnt a huge issue. No harm done.

They took my keys and promised to have it back to me in an hour. I had karen pick me up from the shop and headed home to eat some pizza. 3 hours later I get a call. "Bad news boss, you have some MAJOR issues"... He went on to tell me that I had a "broken" axle shaft U joint that was literally broken on the body and just clunking around. He went on to tell me that my master cylinder was bad as well, as well as my pads, rotors, and a radiator hose. He told me that due to the shops liability, "he could not release the car back to me until the work was done". Called Mike (in4aride) and thankfully he educated me on the fact that the shop was trying to pretty much blackmale me. I called the shop back and told him that I wanted my car back, and that if he cooperated, they may still get my business for the repairs, eventhough I had no intention to return to a shop that wants to hold my car against my own will. He told me then that the shop was locked up and my jeep was inside, and that he could get me a rental car for 20 bux a day. He swore to me that if i drove my jeep in its condition, that my family would more than likely crash. I told him that I wanted to come look at the carnage, and then make my decision on what I wanted to get repaired first. I went in and almost had to demand them to show me this "broken U joint". They finally walked me out to the garage where my jeep was up on a lift and pulled out a flashlight. Turns out, the u joint body was NOT broken. It only had a little wiggle in it.... I turned to the owner and questioned him and he said "wiggle or broken u joint, same thing"... Before you guys educate me on a U joint wiggle, I know its not GOOD, and should be replaced soon... I just got mad that he LIED to me. Then he goes on to tell me that my steering stabilizer was bad, I had a bad radiator hose, and my brake pads and rotors were warped.

Heres the price list as they wrote it up... and this is all TRUTH... I have not changed any of the prices.

Left front U joint axle shaft replacement: 450
Right front u joint axle shaft replacement: 450
Master cylinder replacement: 879
Radiator hose replacement: 349
New brake pads : 430
New rotors: 330

I figured the only way i was going to get my car back was to agree on the prices and tell me that i didnt get paid till monday. I played it like a champ and they believed me. He then said "why dont you just write a check today for the full amount and leave it with us, and we wont cash it until the money is in you're account". I said "you're starting to loose my business again". Thats when he pulled his last resort and told me that under his liability insurance, he could not release the car to me. I told him that I WAS taking my car... and that I would see him monday for the repairs and I was not comfortable with writing a check for money i do not have. I told him I needed to go and i needed my keys. They finally pulled my jeep out of the garage that was supposedly "locked up for the night" before. I walked out and drove off. He called me 2 minutes later telling me that in his heart, he couldnt let me drive the jeep in the current conditoin and to tell him where I live so he could come tow it and bring me a rental car.

AND THATS WHEN I HUNG UP THE PHONE!

Black list these people. They are shady, thieving, way over priced scammers. If you bring your jeep to these people for a "free diagnostic", then dont expect to leave there without a fight, or without spending a few grand.

:piratefla

when he calls you back, tell him you are about to call your attorney.

And for christ sakes, you're a handy guy, quit freakin taking your cheerleader jeep to shops, whether for diagnosis or anal plunder!!!!! Turn your own freakin wrenches! :twak::laugh3:

You could rebuild your entire jeep for that kind of money! Yea BBB is a joke, played that game before gets nothing done. I work at a full service ASE shop they should have a nice little stack of liability release forms like we do, its only for saftey items lke Lights, brakes, seatbelts ect. all it says basiclly is we told ya about it. Your vehicle cannot be held unless they have a signed repair order after they give an estimate, once they have that its legally belongs to them untill services are paid for in full.

yeah, i didnt sign a thing... and made sure of it. He was trying to get me to sign a work release form that began on monday and I told him i wasnt comfortable signing anything yet.

At least i found out my jeeps grinding issue. Now as i listen closer when im driving, I can hear the grinding/popping coming from the passenger front axle shaft U joint. I have a buddy thats going to come over saturday and help me swap it out. My question is... would it be easier/cheaper to just find a Dana 30 axle shaft with a good U Joint in it and just swap out the whole shaft... OR take the time beating and torching this one out? I could buy a new U joint for about the price a new axle shaft with a joint would run. I mean, it makes noise, but its not horrible yet. There is definately movement in the joint in the yoke though. Is this safe to drive on until saturday?

any ideas?

And the knocking noise I heard turned out to be the sway bar links. These links are different from the XJ, for they have a ball joint on them. I remember all my other jeeps just having a straight sway bar link with just a bolt...

And Chris.... This is the second time ive ever taken one of my heeps into a shop. Its only because I couldnt find the issue (and was to lazy to check the passengers side U joint!) The second was the head gasket issue on the green 98 XJ.

when he calls you back, tell him you are about to call your attorney.

And for christ sakes, you're a handy guy, quit freakin taking your cheerleader jeep to shops, whether for diagnosis or anal plunder!!!!! Turn your own freakin wrenches! :twak::laugh3:

X2 I would have just called the Po Po insted of wasting my breath! :dunno:

Yeah, hard to believe they get such good ratings if they treat customers like that. But, in order to pay for that pretty shop and it's location, I imagine their rates are gonna be pretty crazy expensive per hour.

But, I'm afraid you're not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy from the majority here...... we generally fix our own stuff....... mostly to avoid all the issues you mentioned above. Hell, I quit turning wrenches after seeing the shitty tactics many Service Advisors use to make sales.......

Yeah, hard to believe they get such good ratings if they treat customers like that. But, in order to pay for that pretty shop and it's location, I imagine their rates are gonna be pretty crazy expensive per hour.

But, I'm afraid you're not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy from the majority here...... we generally fix our own stuff....... mostly to avoid all the issues you mentioned above. Hell, I quit turning wrenches after seeing the shitty tactics many Service Advisors use to make sales.......

My plan was to have them find the issue and fix it myself, as horrible as that sounds. I was just to lazy to check the axle shaft joints and I swore the noise was coming from the shaft. Already picked up the u joint and I'm gonna get it fixed this weekend :). Forgot to mention, they wanted 395 to replace my steering stabilizer with some pro comp one.... 30 dollar part, 365 labor for that!!??

Wow , 350 bucks for a radiator hose , wheeww I need to raise my prices ...:bs:

no kidding considering i replaced the upper radiator hose in my buddy's wife's ZJ in the middle of a trailer sales parking lot....and used their tools.

My plan was to have them find the issue and fix it myself, as horrible as that sounds. I was just to lazy to check the axle shaft joints and I swore the noise was coming from the shaft. Already picked up the u joint and I'm gonna get it fixed this weekend :). Forgot to mention, they wanted 395 to replace my steering stabilizer with some pro comp one.... 30 dollar part, 365 labor for that!!??

You have 100 guys here happy to help diagnose, and we'll likely give you the courtesy of a reach around.... shops are for, well, cheerleaders.:kissyou:

Back