• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear 12/29 (snow run)

xL8 APEKSx said:
Pretty rare that the roads are bad enough to require chains on 4 wheel drive vehicles. They only way that would be the case is if a large storm front came in right before the 29th. But it seems there's not a lot of grey area, as if the roads are bad enough to allow only 4wd with chains, that's only a small step from a road closure all together. No way to tell until then.

Always good to have them just in case, but I lived up there for a while and never once had to use them. The only sanctioned stop I saw was for 2wd vehicles. And the road was closed all together a few times. It's been a while though!

Yep!

2 years ago we went up in Feb I think. Checkpoints on all roads up the hill. 2WD mandatory, 4WD had to have them with. They received over 20 inches that weekend! It was my son's 1st time in the snow, he was 2. I will never forget it!

chains

Well I don't have chains and I don't know anyone that might have the right size to borrow. My options are to go without or to purchase a set.

Based on the replies above, I am going to assume that if the CHP is requiring chains on 4wd then the conditions are probably bad enough that I don't want to be up playing anyway.

So...unless anyone tells me it is a bad idea, I will be heading up with no chains. If I continue to go on snow runs, I will pick up a set of chains.

Re: chains

88trailcrawler said:
So...unless anyone tells me it is a bad idea, I will be heading up with no chains. If I continue to go on snow runs, I will pick up a set of chains.

I think the current conditions will be fine with no chains, but keep an eye on the reports up there.

ZT741 - $107.04 w/tax i have 5 sets in stock

they will not fit your 285x75x16s you need the next size up, ZT751. i have those as well and they are the same price.

my napa store is in gardena 90247

HTH
-mike

88trailcrawler said:
Alright, alright...so where does one go to buy some decent chains that will fit 33x10.5? I wonder if the same set would fit the 285x16 on my excursion.

Notice the nightime temp. of 21 degrees just incase you were on the fence for the night run!

John, just bring the chains you have. A lot of times, they just check to see if you have chains with you.

xjohnnyc said:
John, just bring the chains you have. A lot of times, they just check to see if you have chains with you.

That is just it, I don't have ANY. I think I may head over to the local Napa and pick up a set.

Thanks for the part number Grimm, There is a Napa right down the street from me.

88trailcrawler said:
That is just it, I don't have ANY. I think I may head over to the local Napa and pick up a set.

Thanks for the part number Grimm, There is a Napa right down the street from me.
you got it man thats what im here for

88trailcrawler said:

Sorry John, I mis-read your previous post. :doh:

GrimmJeeper said:
thats what im here for

Ahh, THAT'S why you're here.

Does anyone have any idea about what the conditions are up there? Is there a lot of snow or is it scattered?

Besides a big effing jacket, is there anything special that you need to bring on a snow run?

Mr. Pickle said:
Does anyone have any idea about what the conditions are up there? Is there a lot of snow or is it scattered?

Besides a big effing jacket, is there anything special that you need to bring on a snow run?

I will be watching the weather closely on Thur and Fri AM. Looks like a chance of snow on Sat & Sun next week, but too early to know.

Bring extra clothes & blanket, just in case. normal trail gear for the rig, plus a shovel and snow chains (just in case), plenty of food and water.

A couple of pair of socks and good boots, plus a change of shoes.

I was out in Riverside yesterday and there's very little snow on the hill from what I can tell looking up at the mountains. I don't think you will need chains at all...unless a freakishly cold and huge storm hits later this week.

Back