• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear 12/29 (snow run)

OK, so who is going? When you driving up?

Who is staying overnight?

Anyone need a cabin or a room? PM me or contact JJ at Big Bear Mountain Resorts Rentals www.bigbear1.com or [email protected]. Tell her you are with me and the Jeep club. She has helped several of us before with great deals on rooms or cabins.

I am going to try to head up on Friday and stay through the weekend. Got to get the Jeep ready first, then check out the money.

rpraterxj said:
OK, so who is going? When you driving up?

Who is staying overnight?

Anyone need a cabin or a room? PM me or contact JJ at Big Bear Mountain Resorts Rentals www.bigbear1.com or [email protected]. Tell her you are with me and the Jeep club. She has helped several of us before with great deals on rooms or cabins.

I am going to try to head up on Friday and stay through the weekend. Got to get the Jeep ready first, then check out the money.
I'm driving up from OC at about 6pm or so. I am not staying overnight, I'll drive back down after I finish the trail.

I will be heading out of Simi Valley at around 6am. BTW where is Discovery Center and how do I get there heading in from the West?

Santa, do axle tubes count as recovery points?

if you scroll out you see the center is 2.5 miles east of fawnskin

Daedalus454 said:
I will be heading out of Simi Valley at around 6am. BTW where is Discovery Center and how do I get there heading in from the West?

Santa, do axle tubes count as recovery points?

I loop a tree strap around the axle tube put a strap to it and it works ok by me.......SANTA

Me and the kids are in, will be leaving Saturday AM from Los Alamitos. Then heading home after the trail run as usual.

What is the law on carrying chains?

My participation is contigent upon:
1) getting the suspension and SYE installed before then (still need a front DS for the SYE).
2) making sure I can head down the hill in one piece by about 3pm as I have to work.

I'll keep an eye on the thread. If I went, I'd be leaving from Garden Grove and would love to caravan up with any other SD/OC people heading up there on Sat morning.

88trailcrawler said:
What is the law on carrying chains?

Depends on road conditions at the time of travel, but usually, AWD/4WD have to carry chains, 2WD need to have them on. Occassionally, ALL vehicles must haev them on.

As of today, no road restrictions exist. I will keep an eye on the reports.

I guess I am wondering if I need to go out and buy some chains?

BTW. What is the best way to drive up if it is snowy/icy on the roads? 4HI, lockers on or off? Air down?

88trailcrawler said:

BTW. What is the best way to drive up if it is snowy/icy on the roads? 4HI, lockers on or off? Air down?

When ya goin up just stay behind me,I will be going up the hill friday about 2PM and st-ain at the motel 6.....SANTA

88trailcrawler said:

on road 4hi, no lock.

4xSanta said:
When ya goin up just stay behind me,I will be going up the hill friday about 2PM and st-ain at the motel 6.....SANTA

Well, I was planning on coming up Saturday morning. But I may consider Friday afternoon...how difficult you think it might be to get a room at the exclusive Motel 6 a day or two in advance?

When I went up there last time nothing was said about chains according to reports but as soon as I hit ice and snow I saw cars spawled all over the road like turtles on there backs stuck in one spot.

Doubtful that the roads will be bad enough to use 4hi. Just go slow...everybody else will be.

And it's the black ice you gotta look out for. I hit a patch of black ice on the way up there last year that scared the beejesus out of me.

88trailcrawler said:
Well, I was planning on coming up Saturday morning. But I may consider Friday afternoon...how difficult you think it might be to get a room at the exclusive Motel 6 a day or two in advance?

Give JJ a call at Big Bear Mtn Resorts. She can usually beat or match Motel6.

As for chains, I recommend borrowing a set just have them with you. If the roads are bad, CHP will have check points and you will haev to show them the chains and prove they fit your tire.

Friday afternoon will be HELL on the way out. Folks on their way to the desert and Vegas for the New Year, just plan accordingly!

Pretty rare that the roads are bad enough to require chains on 4 wheel drive vehicles. They only way that would be the case is if a large storm front came in right before the 29th. But it seems there's not a lot of grey area, as if the roads are bad enough to allow only 4wd with chains, that's only a small step from a road closure all together. No way to tell until then.

Always good to have them just in case, but I lived up there for a while and never once had to use them. The only sanctioned stop I saw was for 2wd vehicles. And the road was closed all together a few times. It's been a while though!

Back