• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best tire for rocks and trails, not mud

whats the best tire for a DD, and trail ready XJ

• goodyear MTR

Votes: 137 48.9%
  • BFG mud terrain

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • Xtreme pro comp

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • super swamper SSR

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • super swamper tsl

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • mickey thompson baja claw RADIAL

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i run mt/rs and they are awsome. ive had them for about 5k miles and have not noticed any tread wear. they also do excellent on and off road

I really like my G/year MT\R's but after the customer service issue I had with them I will probably be running IROKS next time around. The MT\R's are good tires, no problems except for the defective one I had. G/year sucks in the warranty dept.

I was just at the easter jeep safari and I was really impressed with the BFG Mud Terrains I used. They are 31X10.5 and they are also siped. The Goodyear MTRs seemed to work fairly well also.

I ran on dry slick rock and also went on a trail when it was raining and I didn't lose traction too often. I have open diffs also. Granted I wasn't running very hard trails.

I gotta go with BFG MT's I have these tires for years in Moab and the did well on the rocks. The only issue I did have with them (loud on the road and uneven wear) they corrected in the new series.
I have had these new ones just over 2 years and the are great for a DD. Although now that I live in Florida I don't see as much rock and more mud then I like, they have done well on the trails regardless of terrain, also with all the rain here I also Sipped <spelling> which helped on the wet roads.

The BF's get my vote but mostly because I don't have any experience with any of the others. I've run The BF's for years on all sorts of surfaces and never experienced a failure. I did find the Cooper Discoverer STT to be a cheap alternative but they don't wear quite as well. Of course any tire opinions I have may be slightly biased as I work in a Michelin/BF factory.

gy's will not last as long as the BFG muds, softer compound

my old man works for GY & i run BFGs & he hates it but when GY builds a tire that'll last more than 30,000 miles & perform like bfg muds i'll take a look..

ok on my blazer I have 35 inch BFG M/T's but it sees zero road use and is strickly rocks and muddy trails. I use to have swampers on it and will never consider them a bad tire just hard to get out here.

on my XJ it sees tons of use on pavement so I went with General LT AT's and have been impressed with both traction in the mud, rocks and snow. I had BFG AT KO's before and got about 27,00,000 miles on them Im already at 36,126 with the generals and have lots of tread left

On my dads truck he has the new BFG Krawlers and I have never seen a tire so ill suited for mud but so kick ass on rocks. He hates the on road feel of them.

On my girlfriends truck she went with Big O AT's cant complain about them or compliment them either they just do thier job.

I thought Id list all Ive experienced recently and hope someone finds it usefull information

I am not a Pro Comp advocate, but I am very impressed with my 31" Procomp A/T's. They do extremely well on the trails and rocks. They are nice on the street as well. I bought them over the BFG A/T's because a certain 4 wheel shop had a buy 3, get 1 free deal. Save $120! Not to mention the tires have a 50K mile tread warranty, plus an available "no questions asked" replacement warranty option from not mentioned shop.

That's my 2 cents. When I change tires, I will be going to 33" BFG M/T's, more than likely.

- Robert

I voted MTR's. I had them on my Ram and they worked great on Rocks, Sand, Street, And in mud they didn't do that bad.
Now I have MTR's installed in my XJ and I plan on installing a set after the Lift.

lockd.gif
Done.
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back