• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best tire for rocks and trails, not mud

whats the best tire for a DD, and trail ready XJ

• goodyear MTR

Votes: 137 48.9%
  • BFG mud terrain

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • Xtreme pro comp

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • super swamper SSR

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • super swamper tsl

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • mickey thompson baja claw RADIAL

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not be aggressive enough for you...but BFG A/Ts do pretty well on trail/rocks from my experience and from what ive seen...just a suggestion of you want to have a better street tire for less money than an MTR

shimmy said:
forgot to mention this earlier, but i ran into a guy with an old 76' bronco today. he had some thornbirds on. i asked him what he thought of them, and he said they were great and even wore well. my impression was that they sucked as@#$.

I've never seen worse tires on the trail, and that includes stock road tires.

Nay

IROKs are just plain great.. I'm running 36" iroks ( measure 37.2 on my 8" wide rims... we bolted em on my buddy's rig to try them out because my rig is down right now... they worked just as well if not better than his krawlers at paragon on the rocks with short muddy stints in between

I voted MTR. i used the 33s on ine and never could kill them and i never ran more than 8psi on the trail with out beadlocks.I can't think of a time that i didn't make it up something because of them not working. You may have to heat them up alittle but they are great. I have 35 SSRs right now and they work good better than MTRs in nasty mud but don't seem to hold on side hills and such like the MTRs plus the side walls sacre me i wount run less than 12psi for fear of hurting them, I'm wanting new tires and i like the IROCs but its now mostly a trail rig.oh ya on the street the SSRS we nice and civil.

I run MT/R's, but will switch to BFG A/T's when they need replacing - the pricing here is stupid compared to what I can get the BFG's for.

That said, the MT/R's are amazing - everything I have thrown at them was no problem - mud, rocks, dirt, street driving, ...though not so hot in wet grass...but would anything be...? LOL

I have been running my 33 MTR's for the last 2 years and haven't had one complaint. I don't do any serious mud bogging but they work great on rocks and trails. On the road they handle very well, even in the rain. My next set will be IROKS but that is because MTR's don't come in 16.5 rim size. For a daily driver I would pick them.

For all-around ability, I'm really happy with the Big O Bigfoot A/Ts. They have good traction on sand and dirt (and are decent in snow and mud), get over rocks OK (running stock here, so take that for what it's worth), do well at low tire pressures (16psi so far), and have a full road-hazard warranty that also covers offroad use. The tread pattern may not look particularly aggressive, but it is very capable and does a good job of cleaning itself.

I`m convinced that Iroks are the baddest tires out there

It really depends what stuff you 4 wheel in. The mtr's are rock crawling approved as most everyone in the Sierra Chapter has them. I don't like them that much in the mud, or clay stuff, they don't clean out that good. I think Super Swampers like a tsl, ssr, irok, bogger (for a trail rig only in the muddiest of situations) would be good for more of an off-road only jeep and/or 1 that sees alot of mud. I still managed to put a 4" slide in my sidewall on the Fordyce trail on 1 of my 35" mtr's so they're not invinsible, but a heck of a tire all around. They're also very nice and quiet on the road, this probably contributed to them being chosen to be run as OEM on the new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Troy

Last edited:
I voted on the BFG muds only because they're the closest thing to the dunlops that I run on my '97. It's my wife's DD, and we love them. They're cheap, a little on the noisy side, but do great off-road. No problems in the rocks, dirt, or mud. And for muds I've never had a problem with them in the snow. I'll be getting another set of 32's for my '87. At about $100 per tire from Sam's it's hard to go wrong.

Dunlops Are A Great Tire, Might Be A Little Soft For Rocks As Mine Get Chewed Up Pretty Good When I Get On Any Big Rocks

The Dunlop MT's suck. I ran them after I had BFG MT's and always regretted it. They weren't as good at anything as the BFGs. Then I got MT/Rs and never looked back.

dunlops are also half the price nearly, and perform well for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back