• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best of the West....some pics

Great pics guys!
I just got back from AZ today and I have an insane amount of pics to upload, should take a week or so on my dial-up. :D
Awesome trip, can't wait to get out again.

Jes

:) Wow..great pics and truely a fun looking adventure. A question for the guys on 38's. What rear spring set-up are each of you using? My rig "GroovyGreen" is running a cut and shaved rear 60 with 12.50x38 SX's with Rusty's extreme duty leaves with the mil wrap. It sits a little low in the rear and I'm starting to think os switching to something else....maybe coils and a tri-4-link????

"Groovy Green" :rolleyes: who would come up with a name like that ;)
<edit:> Citroen Metallic...probably the coolest OEM Jeep color I have ever seen. Not 'one of a kind' but rare for sure...one year only. Pix don't do it justice!<edit>

OTOH mine is sometimes called "the Tank" (or the Tub depending on my mood) unclear yet if it's a Tank-Tank or a Septic Tank LOL anyways it's up off the ground now and I love You Man!

Macgyvr seems to love his coils... check him out on 38x12.50 for some feedback.

Doesn't that west-coast stuff remind ya of those old western movies...LOL finding skeletons laying next to empty canteens and fuel cans, sidewinders in the sleeping bag, buzzards circlin, Wiley Coyote and all that ;) Looks like some fun wheelin if ya could make it all muddy...

Hey Woody...glad to hear it's up....those parts are going to get some use, and I'm glad they're in good hands. I know for sure....they're on no mall cruiser.

Here are the pics I took...
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?userid={0641A5A9-DB40-46BE-9569-B61D5BC8B151}&tio=0
There's also pics from my Lower Terminator run on Memorial Day with Rick Norman and Joe Daro.
Lots of fun!
picture.JPG

Jes

Jes, a great series of pics. Glad you were able to get in another day of wheeling on the way home. You got some good shots on Die Trying. We have to plan another trip out there, I really liked those Montrose trails. Maybe next time we can actually get some of the CO guys to join us. :)

Richard, if it's OK with you I would love to join you guys this time. I will even take time off work so I can join you. Let me know when we can expect you.

Jason A-33 said:
Richard, if it's OK with you I would love to join you guys this time. I will even take time off work so I can join you. Let me know when we can expect you.

Jason, I think we're due for another NAXJA event in CO next summer, centered around the San Juans. I think a couple days on the Montrose trails would work nicely. We're talking about next years Best of the West being back in CA, depending on what happens with Surprise Canyon. The hope is that we can work the next BOTW around Surprise, doing Panamint Valley, Stoddard Valley, and Johnson Valley. We'll see how it works out.

I definitely want to spend three or more days running trails in Montrose again.....great trails!

Thanks guys.
Yes, AZ was fun too even though I cut another tire and finally killed that axle shaft(it was inevitable). A big thanks goes to Rick Norman for letting me use his spare for a couple of days and hooking me up with two new MT/Rs w/road hazard, mounted, ballanced, and out the door for a really good price. That saved me a lot of money.
Also had a little drama when I was driving back to CA on Friday. I stopped for gas in Needles and when I tried to restart the Jeep it wouldn't start. So after checking all the electrical and making sure it was getting gas I acted on a hunch and replaced the one engine control component that I hadn't replaced yet, the coil(I had bought one a couple of days before I left for BOTW, just in case). After that it fired right up and I haven't had any problems since. That could have been a really bad situation.
Montrose, yes, I'd really like to go back there and run the rest of the trails. I also want to run Die Tryin' again, that was pure rock crawling bliss!

Jes

I have carried a spare engine control module (coil) ever since I started wheeling my XJ. The Jeep techs said that is the most common reason that the engine just won't run.

We used it one time on the Rubicon on a friends CJ when his coil went out. One of the XJ guys from San Diego that was with us ran a Jacobs ignition, and he thought he could figure out how to wire my spare module to work as a coil for the CJ, which he was able to do. My 100,00+ volt coil made the CJ V8 run better than it did with the stock 30,000 some volt coil. He has since sold the CJ and built an XJ. :)

Yeah, we have to figure out how to get back to Montrose some time next year.

Thanks to everyone for taking & posting so many pictures. Leilani was a little disappointed with the 9 pictures I took.
Unless next years BOTW involves Surprise Cyn., I'm pretty sure I'm going back to Montrose for a week.
Paul

I think the heat killed that coil(and the fact that it had 149,000 miles on it). I went down to Phoenix a couple of times while it was over 100 degrees and coming back up I17 she got pretty hot and I was forced to shut off the AC.
I really hope the Surprise Canyon deal works out for next year. It'd be great to center the run around that and would be a new experience for some of us. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Jes

Yeah, if Surprise isn't doable yet, I'd do Montrose again. We'd also have to include Penrose, those CO guys sure make a big deal about how tough it is. Of course, I don't know what that really means...... :D

Goatman said:
Yeah, if Surprise isn't doable yet, I'd do Montrose again. We'd also have to include Penrose, those CO guys sure make a big deal about how tough it is. Of course, I don't know what that really means...... :D
I heard that some of the CO guys got together & read an article on Penrose, I believe they called it "extreme reading":eek:
Paul

Paul S said:
I heard that some of the CO guys got together & read an article on Penrose, I believe they called it "extreme reading":eek:
Paul

Good one! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hey now atleast WE know how to read! :rolleyes:
Led

I heard that some of the CO guys got together & read an article on Penrose, I believe they called it "extreme reading"

Oh my gawd, you're killing me, Paul.

CRASH

Back