• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best diff cover

xjj33p3r, I wish you good luck selling your covers.

Oh I'm sorry if I gave off the wrong impression, but I don't sell those covers. I just know these covers only really sell in Texas, and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I'm not big on the tube style diff protection. More stuff to hang up on. If you need protection on the rocks, keep it low profile. Jut because I'm procrastinating from real work, here is a sampling of what is out there:
-Crane: lifetime no questions asked carnage warranty. $196
"# Chromoly steel alloy
# Lipless (no edges to catch on rocks!)
# Shipped standard with special Holo Krome® button-head cap bolts (Super Strong!) or stainless steel hardware upon request.
# Extra bolt provided in every kit for spare
# Raised fill plug allows additional fluid for proper lubrication after correcting pinion angle for lifted vehicles"
d44-d60-400.jpg

-BTF: Unsure of warranty, $118
"Dana 44 diff cover is fabricated with 1/4 inch steel plate for the cover and has 3/8 inch steel ring for the base. With a 3/8 inch thick steel ring the cover is built to resist "peel up" as you drag your diff over rocks and other terrain. The Dana 44 diff cover has a fill plug. The fill plugs have a cnc machined boss that extends out to protect the plug. All diff covers are shipped unpainted. All diff covers are shipped with new bolts and a fill plug for models that require one."
dana44.jpg

-Poison Spyder: $139.50 unsure of warranty. personal experience with customer service/ordering was great. top notch products.
" The Bombshell will accommodate the ever escalating level of formidable trails that tear through factory differential covers. Causing major failures due to oil loss or carrier and ring and pinion damage. Bombshells are forged from a steel alloy mixture insuring an impervious shield from cover crunching trail debris. Poison Spyder differential covers come complete with sealant,stainless hardware and fill plugs."
017_lg.jpg

-Gratelake Offroad: $125, unsure of warrranty. Personal experience with customer service SUCKED.
"feature 1/2" thick bolt rings and a one piece 1/4" thick cover. The bolt ring is counterbored to accomodate button head cap screws. The center section of each cover is plated with 1/2" thick bar that has been formed and welded to the single 1/4" thick shell. Note: The 1/2" plating is also welded to the 1/2" ring. These are made to accomodate mounts for hydraulic steerings rams and to take the severe abuse of offroading"
f1_1_b.JPG

-Clear Gearz: :laugh3: $160, no info on warranty.
"Clear Gearzcovers are made of polycarbonate and surrounded by a PPG "Near-Chrome" Powder Coated One piece Steel Ring. This combination adds up to extreme high strength, good looks and uniqueness. Clear Gearz allows you to monitor oil levels, gear wear and the presence of moisture. Clear Gearz have been extensively tested and proven to be as strong if not stronger than any other cover currently made."
OnGroundPlugD.jpg

These are just a few of the replacement covers I've come across, but I still maintain that beefing your own is the most cost effective way to do it. The middle of my diff cover is now more than 3/4" thick around the ring gear, which I would venture to guess is all the protection I will ever need. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
good lord I must get back to work :rattle:

wow thanks for that info. the poison spyder looks identical to the dynatrac and is the same price the only thing different is the logo. So looks like either the crane or dynatrac.

olympic4x4tech said:
wow thanks for that info. the poison spyder looks identical to the dynatrac and is the same price the only thing different is the logo. So looks like either the crane or dynatrac.

Id go Crane If I wante a super cover. Smooth cover, no ribs to get hung up on, and a lifetime warranty.

What about the OX locker? Yea, I know it comes with the whole locker but have you ever seen one? They are machined from solid billet steel, very beefy.

I've ordered plenty of parts from Dan and definitely wouldn't hesitate for a minute to spring for his cover. That said, I've experienced the riddler in person, and that sucker is the epitome of heavy duty. Plus they have a cooler logo ;) I'll have to check out crane.

I've ordered plenty of parts from Dan and definitely wouldn't hesitate for a minute to spring for his cover. That said, I've experienced the riddler in person, and that sucker is the epitome of heavy duty. Plus they have a cooler logo ;) I'll have to check out crane.
x2 for going with ruffstuff. i dont have his covers, but have bought plenty of parts from him to know he is a stand up guy! I called regarding his offset TRE's to clear my Jcr steering and jks OTA bracket, and he went waayyyyy out of his way to try and help my solve my problem, even though none of my problem had to do with his company or his parts. i plan on getting ruffstuff covers front and rear when cashflow allows.

SOLID. Mine were $65 each on sale.

Back