• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Badlands Memorial Day?

If I get everything I plan on doing tomorrow, I'll be there at 9:00am or so.

Les

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP

I was hoping to sneak up Sunday, but having DW problems

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP

Have fun guys and gals. :cheers:

So, to take my thread back, nobody's going on Monday?

I have to work from 0400 to 1900 on Monday, sorry

doesnt look like it kid. but go sunday. that seems to be everyones plans. ok guys well just so people know what my truck looks like so we all know who who is. its a flat black spray painted(the job sux cause i did it) 88 cherokee sittin on 6.5" lift w/ black rims and 33" XTs. look for a young guy in the drivers seat and my dad in the other seat.

kid4lyf said:
So, to take my thread back, nobody's going on Monday?

I was not able to get my ladder bar done today, so I'll need Monday to finish it. I did get the hitch/bumper done ... but the paint is not dry yet. I've got to get into work sometime on Monday too ... to get time & attendance done.

Sorry ...

Les

Those of us that were able to make it today had a great time. Although tornadoes were in the area, we didn't even get enough rain there to keep the dust down. Urban Redneck reminded us again how well a lightly modified XJ can do on the trails, when the right mods are mixed with skilled driving. MuddinXJ got some good break-in flexing on his new leafs, and some excellent coaching from his dad. We met up with Les and Aaron at lunch time after running Green, White and playing in the quarry. After lunch we did Orange which was a sloppy mess. That big drop that pitches you into the tree is worse than ever and we all left some paint on the tree.
Here's some of the digital pics, film ones in a few days
http://community.webshots.com/album/147798490MuXVqO
:cheers: great wheeling with you guys

Yes it was a great time ... It's so good to get together with fellow XJ'ers. Orange is a lot of fun to run ; tight, and despite the occasional dry spots, wet and muddy. Thanks to Lesslimited and Muddin for reminding me just how important it is to air down.

Thanks everyone for meeting Aaron and I at mid day ... it was a very good afternoon!

Les

PS: Nice pics John!

Pictures look cool. I have to have my cherry broken at the Badlands as I'm such a newbie. Any volunteers??? Those climbs look cool, seem easy though (no offense) I did that kind of grade on dirt and made it up pretty easy. Is rock much harder? The flex in some of those front end shot is kind of surprising. Are there trails you can ride WITHOUT disconnecting sway bars?? I've been doing the construction site circuit (lots of new home construction in Bolingbrook/Naperville/Plainfield.

you can run green maybe w/o the sway bar disconnected. very highly unlikely though. i would take ya out there and run wit ya but i got to get my truck ready for NACfest

At Winterfest we had guys on Green with their swaybars connected and they made it, but had to rely on momentum, and take some bypasses.
IMHO, disconnecting the swaybar is the first modification that should be done. A tire in the air is no help in moving the jeep.

Rocketman said:
Pictures look cool. I have to have my cherry broken at the Badlands as I'm such a newbie. Any volunteers??? Those climbs look cool, seem easy though (no offense) I did that kind of grade on dirt and made it up pretty easy. Is rock much harder? The flex in some of those front end shot is kind of surprising. Are there trails you can ride WITHOUT disconnecting sway bars?? I've been doing the construction site circuit (lots of new home construction in Bolingbrook/Naperville/Plainfield.

Some of the climbs do look easy, you are right. But those are the ones where you can get out and actually take a picture without getting run over. There are plenty of climbs and drop ins that tougher than what is pictured. I was running a 2"BB and 30's and I didn't think I would get through as much as I did. I only got caught up on the Slabs in the Quarry. After NAC, we will have you bring out your rig and you can run it, then see how it compares to a construction site.

yea some of the drop ins and climbs(orange trail for instance) can be quite harry. expecially the 2nd drop in on orange. that can get nuts if its rutted out far enough

Hey Kid' ... were you able to make it to Badlands Monday? Was wonderin' how the trails were after the soakin' we got Sunday evening.

Rocketman said:
Are there trails you can ride WITHOUT disconnecting sway bars??
Disconnecting the rear sway bar is usually the first thing offroaders should do. Removing this make very little difference in how your XJ handles on-road, but really helps you maintain traction off-road. I would recommend doing this if you intend to "bust your cherry". There are several after market "quick disconnects" that make it easier to disconnect your front sway bar ... if you are even slightly handy with tools, you can make your own ; there are several tech articles on-line on this.

They seldom grade the trails at Badlands, so you will more than likely find a situation when the sway bar link will be supporting most of your front end weight. These links are really only intended to control "roll" while making manuvers on the road. I turned one of my sway bar links into a pretzle off-roading without disconnecting one time.

You are welcome to come and wheel with any of us. Keep an eye on this board ... there are several informal runs as well as a formal NAXJA event that takes place every February. I am sure you'd have a blast, and get hooked ...

Les

Back