• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backyard Customs XJ Build

And who's the hottie with the nice rack? Sorry was just looking at the rest of your build pics and her boobs seemed to distact me a bit in your photo gallery!

lol

7-22-2007-13copy.jpg

HOLY CANS WHO IS SHE!?!?!?!

hahahaha. shes a bitch. thats about all i can say about that one. long story short. i knew her from highschool and one of my friends started to date her and now he is no longer my friend and supposedly she has never liked me. go figure. she has taken his balls, put them in a big vise grip and tightened it all the way.

back to the build. i went with leaf springs it was cheaper than doing a 4 link system. plus, a 4 link wouldnt get used enough with the type of riding i do, mostly mud.

You simply need to get rid of that draglink if you plan on taking that out of your driveway.

I think I saw that draglink on that 'scary steering' website once before.

OMG,thats dangerously ghetto!

not sure about the drag link...but i do like the budget full width build. That sucker is huge!

Do you have any bumpstops or anything to prevent your rear quarter panel from flexing right into the tire and tearing a gash in it? Looks like that might be a problem when you are flexed up on a rock.

tires dont rub or hit the fenders.

tell me what the problem is with the draglink?!?!

i have seen some other members with wagoneer steering bent up like this, what is so bad about mine?

it is steering setup from a wagoneer that is sleeved for extension and bent (with gussets) to clear the leaf springs.

this is my first attempt at steering for this sucker. no one gave any ideas for steering so this is what i went with. only the driver side knuckle is drilled and tapped for an arm.

Many of us have seen steering links like that, and they sometimes work for a little to a long while, but eventually they tend to fail. You're taking a link that was designed to push-pull a straight rod against 30"-ish tall tires and asking it to push-pull a bent rod against 38"-40" tires. Other than being rusted, your link doesn't look absolutely horrible. The welds look solid, the gussets look okay, I've seen worse to be sure. But if you drive that thing around on the street, and it fails and you have an accident where someone gets badly injured or killed, you are screwed. Kiss your wages garnished/goodbye for a long, long time when the lawsuit gets settled. Modifying steering to a non-factory configuration opens you up to lots of liability.

Now, if it's just a trail rig, then your worst-case scenario is killing yourself, more likely having to limp a twisted-steering linked rig off the trail and back to the trailer. So yes, people run steering like that, but it doesn't make it right. Like I said, I've seen worse than yours, so if it's trail-only, then use at your own discretion. I wouldn't drive that on the street though.

I'm glad I live nowhere near that rig.

Back