• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backyard Customs XJ Build

i think i got some nickle rod here in the tool box at shop.

i got front bearings packed and installed then put the lockout hubs back together and it is sitting on tires now. i need to get some calipers and pads for the front then it will be done. the rear still needs new brake equipment also.

this weekend ill have to scavenge the junkyard for some driveshafts to cut up and then maybe run over to maco hose for some brakelines. maybe do some steering work and shocks this weekend also unless i get to it during the week.

i took some pictures of how the jeep sits with the tires on.
still needs to be finished but all the suspension work is done.
need to finish the welding, build driveshafts, brakes, shocks, and steering.

height comparison, i am 5'7"

P2100173.jpg

front shackle boxes

P2100178.jpg

picture of front axle

P2100179.jpg

side shot, front tires stick out a little further than rear

P2100177.jpg

side of front

P2100176.jpg

side of truck(still need to trim the rear fender on this side)

P2100175.jpg

Everyone's a critic, but that's awesome that you are doing something that you want to do. Some of the mystery of fabwork is just doing something and then figuring it out. I'm not big on leaf sprung front ends, but I respect it. Looks good.

Those front leafs are THICK...I'd yank one or two of em doubt it'll flex near as good as it could like it is...

What wall thickness are those front shackle boxes ?

thanks for all the good words people. :)

what company should i go with for high steer arms and heim joints?
i currently have an OTK TRE connecting bar but i think i will make one out of DOM tubing once i order the supplies to do the draglink.

I would go with a rod end somewhere along the lines of a QA1 rod end, they are a good quality item and not "too" bad on the pocket book. They are what Rubicon Express uses on their track bars (I am by no means pimping RE's stuff, just using that as a reference)

ok cool. i had a RE lift was good stuff. know of any reputable companies to deal with at a fair price?

I dont know about the price comparison, but Rusty's has ends available in their "builders parts" section. Hope that will help ya some. His customer service is good which is a bonus now a days.

im still up in the air about my steering. i had an idea but it got shot down because it was a garbage idea and wouldnt work properly if the axle articulated.

i think i am going to build a custom Y link steering by cutting out the eyelet and inserting it into some DOM tube with heims at the end. im really stuck on this. i have flattop knuckles but only the driver side is drilled and tapped for steering arms. i might have to just go ahead and have a shop drill and tap the passenger side to have high steer.

my neighbors called code enforcement and said i was running and chop shop and the noises were unbearable a while back. well they stopped by and said i had to get all the "junk" (jeep parts, trailers, inoperable vehicles) out of my yard, yet everything in my yard was operable and registered with tags :dunno:

so i spent last week cleaning up the yard and stuffing it all into my 10x10 shed. i put a bunch of junk in a trailer and got a nice dog kennel for the dogs(dog house had to have a permit to be there, go figure:looney:) if i dont have permits for the stuff on my property i wont pass inspection. more jeep fund money spent, but at least it was for my dogs.

they came back earlier in the week BEFORE our inspection date Feb 20 and saw my jeep and said "you cant do heavy vehicle modification within city limits" so i said that its garbage you cant do any mechanic work in my own yard. he said that i can do mechanic work but it only entails changing tires, brakes and oil. there was nothing i could about the jeep because i still didnt have any steering so i just left it how it was, had tires and a current tag.

code enforcement came and the inspector was extremely excited at how the yard looked :yelclap: he said he liked the dog kennel and the jeep was big. we talked about guns and stuff for a little bit then he left.

went to the junkyard on saturday and got steering off a wagoneer, a neat lightbar/brushgaurd for the front, and newer ubolt plates for the rear. my buddy needed a speed sensor for his wrangler so he came with. at the pay counter we asked for a discount because we sell them cars(we work for a tow company) and the dude was totally cool, he only charged us for the speed sensor which was 10 bucks. so i got a deal on my junk.

got all new bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts, and spacers for the leaf springs. installed all new brakes, front and rear. had to drill out my knuckles to fit the bigger TRE of the waggy steering. need to make a new draglink, the waggy draglink is too short. build a front driveshaft, but i now need to fabricate a new crossmember because the driveshaft hits it currently.

this week is building a new crossmember and make the draglink for the steering. if i get all that done during the week, ill work on the shocks on the weekend and hopefully take it for a test drive.

ill post up some pics when i get home from work.

thanks for all the good words people. :)

what company should i go with for high steer arms and heim joints?
i currently have an OTK TRE connecting bar but i think i will make one out of DOM tubing once i order the supplies to do the draglink.

Call Zach at 505 Performance. He just set me up with all new steering for my XJ for $325. 1.25 DOM .360 wall tube with hiem joints. I got a tie rod for my Waggy D44, a new drag link and trac bar.

505-333-2600 or www.505performance.com

What was the reason for going leaf springs in the front and not just doing a long arm setup? Also - you might want to beef up the shackle mounts that are welded to the unibody... IMO - you may have had a stronger mount by taking a piece of retangle 1/4" thick box tubing, cutting the top off and pinching the unibody with that, bolting it through the unibody and then welding the shackles to it.

Not a critic... just curious.

Back