• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backyard Customs XJ Build

last night i took a ride to go get some tires. i purchased some 38.5x11x15 boggers on 15x10 chrome rims. looks like i got everything except for leaf springs. hopefully there should be some good progress on the build this weekend.

Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly for you :)

last night i took a ride to go get some tires. i purchased some 38.5x11x15 boggers on 15x10 chrome rims. looks like i got everything except for leaf springs. hopefully there should be some good progress on the build this weekend.

make sure you post pics. what axles will you be running? 44 and 9"?? im about to do the same swap and wanting to know the maximum tire size i can run with the 8" or so lift.

Depending what/how you wheel, I don't know that you'd need to worry about what size tire you could fit with 8" lift... For example, I run about 6" or so with 37s on D44s, and I don't think I'd be very confident running much larger of a tire. Then again, I do wheel my jeep in the rocks, and not very lightly! :D

well i have 37"s right now and thinking of going to a 38" or possibly a 39.5" tire when i swap in the 44 and 9". just took a jack stand and some tall jack stands from my work. going to get if off the ground ready for install. pics coming...

The thing about stepping up beyond 35" in tire size is that you tend to get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly, depending on the wheeling you plan to do. A guy building a mudder who's shooting for 38"s will have fewer issues than a guy looknig to build a trail wheeler on 38"s. Mudders generally aren't as worried about articulation and turn radius, breakover angle and sidehill stability, and they also don't deal with the shock-loading of rocks and roots on the trail in relation to how they'll affect durability. You can beef up a D Turdy to handle 35"s pretty reliably, beyond that you'll likely run into strength/durability issues. Just because the swamp runner from Florida stuffs 38"s on his rig doesn't mean the trail runner from Washington should, for example.

Just be prepared for the issues that are likely to crop up. Either way, good luck with your build.

The thing about stepping up beyond 35" in tire size is that you tend to get to the point of diminishing returns rather quickly, depending on the wheeling you plan to do. A guy building a mudder who's shooting for 38"s will have fewer issues than a guy looknig to build a trail wheeler on 38"s. Mudders generally aren't as worried about articulation and turn radius, breakover angle and sidehill stability, and they also don't deal with the shock-loading of rocks and roots on the trail in relation to how they'll affect durability. You can beef up a D Turdy to handle 35"s pretty reliably, beyond that you'll likely run into strength/durability issues. Just because the swamp runner from Florida stuffs 38"s on his rig doesn't mean the trail runner from Washington should, for example.

Just be prepared for the issues that are likely to crop up. Either way, good luck with your build.

wait until you see the flexy video tonight for the 63" chevy springs, certainly outflexes any stock rear leaf pack for an xj, and outflexes the 4.5 rough country front coils with drop brackets that i had.

Looking forward to trail pics, sounds like an interesting build.

I find it interesting that most people assume that the leaf springs will not flex as well as a coil spring suspension. The toyota guys have always ran leafs front and rear and they do exceptionally well. My 4x4 club is about 50-50 toyota and Jeep rigs. The toyotas do everything just as well as the jeeps.

Leafs can absolutely be set up to flex almost as good as coils. I have a CJ on leafs that flexes extremely well, scored 1300-ish on a 20 degree ramp years ago, keeps the tires on the dirt on just about anything I push it through. While I wouldn't go to the trouble to convert a coil-sprung rig to leafs, I have no problem with them.

i didnt get very much done today. i ordered my 5.13 gears and install kits from local 4 wheel parts then went to the junkyard to get my leaf springs. mike was having trouble with his dd chevy so we messed around with that for a while then did some work on his jeep and that was about it for the day. here is a picture of the 38.5 boggers i picked up the other day

IMG_3883.jpg

picked up the gears from 4 wheel parts and the spool for the front came in the mail. will be tearing them down tonight hopefully(weather permitting) and doing the install tomorrow.

IMG_4002.jpg

dont mind the crazy cat, she wouldnt get off the washer for me to take a picture.

ill be sure to take pics of the gear setup and junk.

until next time.........................

didnt get to the gears as i planned today. code enforcement stopped by and they werent pleased with my backyard.
brickwall.gif
the enforcement officer said i have too many inoperable vehicles(only 1 not registered and not running) and im illegally storing tires in a residential area(had my set of boggers next to the jeep). the actual report is going to be sent in the mail. so i gathered up some buddies and cleaned up the backyard.

hopefully soon ill get to building up the axles.

Another good reason not to buy gears from 4wheelparts.

didnt get to the gears as i planned today. code enforcement stopped by and they werent pleased with my backyard.
brickwall.gif
the enforcement officer said i have too many inoperable vehicles(only 1 not registered and not running) and im illegally storing tires in a residential area(had my set of boggers next to the jeep). the actual report is going to be sent in the mail. so i gathered up some buddies and cleaned up the backyard.

hopefully soon ill get to building up the axles.

Sounds like Florida is NOT the place to live.

That is fawking stupid.

Back