• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing vs offset - calculations don't match up

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
OK you wheel tech guys heres a question for you -

What is the offset of a 15x8 wheel that has 4.0" backspacing?

(theme to jeopardy plays in background)

If you said the offset is "zero" like I did, you are WRONG! At least according to this chart you are wrong - http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

The chart in the above page says the offset is -12mm. How can this be since 12mm is almost 1/2 inch???

The BS measurement includes the flange (where weights would normally clamp); by including that value from only "one-side" the data is scewed by that flange and the thickness of the rim material.

Normally rim-width is measured as bead-seat to bead seat, essentially an "ID" value where the material thicknessesand "flanges" are not considered...

Just like it's always been --- I noticed the shift from spec'ing a rim from offset to Backspacing came about the time tat Front-wheel-drive got really popular -- either as a function of the dramatic off-sets or the tighter fits (knowing EXACTLY where the metal stops with a BS measurement seems much better)...

I thought BS was to be measured from the bead, and not the outermost edge (flange). When I measured my stock wheels this way I got 5.25". I hear people say stock is 5.5" and I'm guessing they are including the flange which is about 1/4".

Anyways thanks for the explanation as I understand why the number is "scewed" as you put it. It would be so much better if they measure BS and offset from the same point.

Nobody ever says stock is 5.5" -- it is always quoted as 5.25". Now I'm going to have to measure my stock rims again, because my recollection is when I measured them it was 5.25" to the outer (back) edge of the rim, not to the inside of the bead area.

Eagle, did you ever measure your rims? I still haven't figured out, if I have stock, 5-spoke, 7" wide, steel wheels, what is the backspacing and what is the offset?

I hadn't, but you shamed me into it :angel:

I measured both a stock 15x7 steel rim and a stock '88-vintage 15x7 10-spoke "turbine" style alloy rim. In both cases, the measurement was 5-1/4" from the mounting surface to the OUTSIDE edge of the weight flange. In other words, the 5-1/4" backspacing is not taken to the tire bead, but to the extreme inward-most part of the rim.

Back