• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

B&M Transmission SuperCooler

Need some quick help guys! I just got my B&M Cooler and Temp Guage and I need to install it tommrow before my trip home. Jason, I've read your writeup, it's helped a ton. But I'm still unsure which line out of the CFS radiator is the line back to the tranny, where I want to plumb in the cooler next, then the guage. I want the temp coming out of the cooler (I know ppl don't like this), but I want to know what the temp is going in, so is there any reason I can't put it into the rubber hose before connecting it to the metal hard line running back to the tranny?

Last edited:
I have the small B&M trany cooler. Haven't installed it yet. The way the radiator is fitted into the engine compartment (no dayum room!), it will require me to lift the radiator out to get some free space to detach the OEM lines.
Plan is to route trany oil only through the B&M cooler, not the engine radiator. I wanted to find a valve that I could direct the flow form internal to external coolers, but nothing available.
Cooler placement will be vertical on the drivers side behind the grille.

One advantage of piping the internal oil/water radiator cooler is when you place it in the cooling circuit after the oil/air cooler.

The advantage is that during normal (locked converter) operation the colder ATF (140-160 dF) can transfer heat from the (195 dF) radiator coolant and minimize the over-heat radiator coolant temperature spikes that can plague a marginal condition XJ radiator system. It can also reduce the excessive heat spike in the ATF during slow trail crawling throttling with the TC unlocked (when the radiator is at 215 dF and the ATF is flashing above 250 dF).

In all situations the heat transfer is from hot to cold, and having an extra heat exchanger to trim/transfer the high temperature spikes of the radiator or trans coolant into the less taxed system can help.

Jeepin Jason said:
My steering is messed up now too though, (very stiff for about 45* each direction from center, and in that range it "sticks" and doesn't self-center now) so it may finally be time for either a Durango steering box or one from PSC. Richard, have you had any issues using the factory aux tranny cooler for your PS cooler? The PS lines are high pressure aren't they? Vs the low-pressure tranny lines.

Jason,

Did you ever turn your factory external trans cooler into a power steering cooler?

nope. I don't think I'm going to either, after seeing how everything's going to fit together. I'll probably just buy a PermaCool PS cooler from JEG'S. It won't be free of course, like reusing my old tranny cooler, but it'll be much easier to setup.

Jeepin Jason said:
nope. I don't think I'm going to either, after seeing how everything's going to fit together. I'll probably just buy a PermaCool PS cooler from JEG'S. It won't be free of course, like reusing my old tranny cooler, but it'll be much easier to setup.

Im all about the easyness myself. Im going to be installing a B&M just like yours this weekend. I do not have a trans temp gauge nor do i plan on hooking one up in the near future but i should be good on the tempture as long as there are no leaks, right?

Back