• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles for 38's

I like the idea of staying with 5 on 5.5" rims, mostly because I already have them. I could convert a 60 or 14 bolt to 5 on 5.5" but then I'm spending more money than the 9"

Roostertail said:
I like the idea of staying with 5 on 5.5" rims, mostly because I already have them. I could convert a 60 or 14 bolt to 5 on 5.5" but then I'm spending more money than the 9"
I believe there is a ford van that had a D60 and 5 on 5.5...

Roostertail said:
I'm not sure you even can convert a 14B to 5 on 5.5".
Converting a D60 however is not very expensive at all.

To convert a FF D60 to SF w/ 5 on 5.5" is pretty easy. You use 9" big bearing housing ends. These are available all over for about $70-$90/pair. You could actually even cut the ones off your current housing and re-use them. For the cost though, it probably doesn't make sense to bother with it.
Simply cut the ends off the 60 housing and weld on your new 9" housing ends. When welding the ends on, you use a 1.5" solid bar alignment tool through the housing ends and carrier bearings to keep it all straight.
For shafts, you use the exact same 35 spline 9" shafts you would be using on your converted 35 spline 9.
All your exisitng 9" brake components can then be swapped over too.

Not necessarily better than a 35 spline 9. Probably a little cheaper but also more work than simply buying a new third member and shafts and bolting them all in.
Of course you could also probably sell your current 31 spline 9, sans brake stuff, and help pay for a good chunk of building the 60.

Roostertail said:

that's why i have a 9" housing in the garage ready for me to build a 35 spline

Ghost said:
I believe there is a ford van that had a D60 and 5 on 5.5...

It is probably then a semi-float, which is fine that is what I would have with the 9. Does everyone think that stock semi float 60 shafts are good enough. What is the difference in strength between a 31 splin 9" and a 30 spline 60? Also what would the width be compared to the F150 Dana 44 front?

C-ROK said:
I'm not sure you even can convert a 14B to 5 on 5.5".
Converting a D60 however is not very expensive at all.

To convert a FF D60 to SF w/ 5 on 5.5" is pretty easy. You use 9" big bearing housing ends. These are available all over for about $70-$90/pair. You could actually even cut the ones off your current housing and re-use them. For the cost though, it probably doesn't make sense to bother with it.
Simply cut the ends off the 60 housing and weld on your new 9" housing ends. When welding the ends on, you use a 1.5" solid bar alignment tool through the housing ends and carrier bearings to keep it all straight.
For shafts, you use the exact same 35 spline 9" shafts you would be using on your converted 35 spline 9.
All your exisitng 9" brake components can then be swapped over too.

Not necessarily better than a 35 spline 9. Probably a little cheaper but also more work than simply buying a new third member and shafts and bolting them all in.
Of course you could also probably sell your current 31 spline 9, sans brake stuff, and help pay for a good chunk of building the 60.

Why couldn't you do the same to a 14 bolt?

Roostertail said:
Why couldn't you do the same to a 14 bolt?
There is no such thing as a 1.50" dia, 35 spline 14B shaft.

The D60 35 spline shaft and Ford 9" 35 spline shaft are dimensionally identical.

In short, 35 spline 9" shafts fit into 35 spline D60 carriers. The 14B and D70 both use different shaft diameters and spline counts.
You could weld the housing ends on the 14B but you can't get semi-floating shafts that fit into the carrier that I know of.

C-ROK said:
There is no such thing as a 1.50" dia, 35 spline 14B shaft.

The D60 35 spline shaft and Ford 9" 35 spline shaft are dimensionally identical.

In short, 35 spline 9" shafts fit into 35 spline D60 carriers. The 14B and D70 both use different shaft diameters and spline counts.
You could weld the housing ends on the 14B but you can't get semi-floating shafts that fit into the carrier that I know of.

Oh

xjfan1974 said:
You're right wheeling in Ks & West Coast are different. Here in KS are wheelin is too easy for the hardcore wheelin the west coast. Whatever... Beside KS isn't only place we wheel. But hey if you ever get a chance to come to Randolph, KS ORV park I can show you just how easy it is to wheel in KS.

Really, this is getting silly. Getting and changing axles every year is a pain. Much simpler, and cheaper in the long run, to just get 35 spline shafts from the start. Besides, you're not even talking about your own rig.

There are exceptions to every generalization. If a high percentage of people break with a certain equipment combination, so it becomes common to recommend not running that particular combination, it never negates that point by bringing up one example of someone not breaking that combination. Damn, does something have to be a 100% likelyhood of breaking before it's OK to recommend something stronger? I'm looking for something stronger with less than a 25% chance of breaking, maybe even less than 10% chance.

Last edited:
depends if its the standard or metric. my cousins uncles roommate tells me that a psychic told his nephew that the standard one is junk but the metric is pretty stout.

Okie Terry said:
Have you seen my Dana 40?:confused1
No, but I'll post you of my 44 getting blinged this weekend if you want.....

ive been wheeling my 33 spline 9 for a little while now and i have no issues with breakage inside the axle and im running 39.5 pitbulls. on a side note i would say truss/support the hell out of a 9, i got about 3 trips since i 4 linked mine and the btf truss started to ripp the top of the housing off.

bheit4x4 said:
ive been wheeling my 33 spline 9 for a little while now and i have no issues with breakage inside the axle and im running 39.5 pitbulls. on a side note i would say truss/support the hell out of a 9, i got about 3 trips since i 4 linked mine and the btf truss started to ripp the top of the housing off.

33 spline? Full spool? Truss ripping off?

Capt. Nemo said:
Didn't know 9's came in the 33 spline flavor :rolleyes:

yep smartypants get a 33 slpine spool and shafts and your good. IMHO if your going to build one you might as well start here only a few hundred more than building a 31 spline

bheit4x4 said:
yep smartypants get a 33 slpine spool and shafts and your good. IMHO if your going to build one you might as well start here only a few hundred more than building a 31 spline

Ya, I edited the last post. I wasn't aware they came in that count. I suck... :dunce:

I figured why mess around and went straight to the 35 spline count with mine... :gag:

Last edited:
no problem, I went 33 cause i started at 31 and already had a nodular case and kept popping ring gears (heavy skinny pedal) so i figured this was the next best thing without throwing a bunch more money at something that already had been eating my wallet

Its like this:
Ford 9
- 35 spline shafts with bearings $ 450
- Loaded 35 spline chunk $1400
- Disk brakes $ 450
Total $2,100

Dana 60
- 35 spline shafts with bearings $ 450
- Ford 9 Forgings $ 70
- Gears/locker/install kits $ 900
- disk brakes $ 450
Total $1,870

14 bolt
- Stock shafts plenty $ 0
- gears/locker/install $ 750
- Disk brakes $ 450
Total $1,200

I'm not crazy about the clearance of the 14 bolt, or having to get new rims, but now I can share shafts and spares with my wifes Ramcharger. I'm thinking I'll rum some newer stock chevy 8 bolt chrome rims to save on width and money. I have the parts to convert the front Ford Dana 44 to 8 Bolt HD (large bearing) hubs and lockouts. I'm sure that I'll be swearing every time I'm hung on the HUGE center, but I'll be able to afford to go wheeling when its done! I'll post some progress pics soon.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 31 splin 9" and 8" rims?

Its like this:

Ford 9
250-300 lbs*

Dana 60
400-450 lbs*

14 bolt
550+ lbs*

*Guesstimating the weights, but you get the point.

Back