• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle change

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
I Bought a used d35 rearend with 4.56 gears and a detriot and got the whole lift on and tires went to get it alingned and they said my left rear axle was bent the detroit seems to be making alot of noise enless i am turning left Could the bent axle be the problem, i have a spare axle shaft how hard is it to switch out??? i reall am not that good at working of this stuff yet and need my car up to get to work and class so can have it down for a long time??? do you recommened just taking it to the shop??? if so how much do you think that will be?Thanks for the help

you probably have a bent axle housing.... this is a major week point on these axles.

you may could put the diff and gears in another rear, if they aren't messed up to much.

if you want to run a 35 rear you will definately want to reenforce it with some braceing etc.....

wish I had better news :(

scotty

how could the housing be bent?????? theres no way i can aford to get the detriot and gears switched is there anyother opion like bending it back??? how would you brace the rearend??????? they also said that it might cause alittle more wear on the left tire (fearthering) how bad do you think that will be??? thanks for the help

I guess now you know why that used axle was for sale? Are you seriously asking how a D35 housing could be bent? Could it be because it's uber-weak?

Nope, the tube bends out of square with the housing, and your locker starts to bind up. That's why you really don't see a whole lot of recommendations to build up the D35.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
so if i keep running it like this is it going to destroy the rearend??? what about the tires ????
If you just have to go with the 35, then I suggest looking for another housing and swapping out the guts. You can find stock D35s for free everywhere.

have more confidence man, you could prbably pull off swapping everything in a day or a weekend depending on how well it goes. especailly since you can get a free or next to free d35.

hey dude i didnt see untill now, but your in el dorado hills im in sac maybe. some weekend i could help you out? your the one selling that 3" lift right? maybe i could work for some of them parts..

well i have not actually pulled out everything but...all we would need to do it is some instructions for installing a locker, basically taking everything out, i think it wouldnt be too tough to do in a day. when you get that new d35 shoot me a pm and ill see when we can work this crap out.

is there any chance of damaging it driving it around right now??? say if it takes a month or so to find the right houseing??? or would you say just use it till i can aford to build a 44( will prolly take about a year or so)???? what i am worried the most about the tires this is a daily driver with brand new tires that i am paying off monthly for the next year so i want to make sure that in a year when they are payed off there still there> all sugestions wanted

tires.... a friend of myne has a spool in the rear of his 9" nascar rear end that he has in a yj and it eats tires like no other... basically he has 1 year old geo-landers on the rear in need or replacement... im sorry that this comes as bad news, maybe you have a different situation...

oh yeah, and i assume you changed teh fluid and all that when u put the new one in, so lack of fluid couldnt be causing the noise could it?

i dono, just an expierence that a friend had, he has a spool [like a full time locker]

he eats tires all day on the roads...

take off your nice tires and put on 4 un-matching junk yard tires till you fix it if you care that much

there are a few jeep only junkyards around SAC, one is in roseville the other is in rancho cordova. been to both, i like the roseville one cuz you can wander around in the yard.

Back