• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle change what should I put in my junk?

Yup he's right both my axles cost me large sums of money, thats why there being transfered over to an LJ when I kill the XJ. the nice thing with a 9" rear is I can get another 9" housing cut down to whatever width I want from Dutchman for 120.00
So when I have to change the rear housing over to coils, I will just have another housing narrowed and coil spring mounts welded on top, instead of cutting off my leaf spring perches.

If your buddies are running 40's, I'd say its a good bet that someday you'll be on 4D's... I'd look at the axles they run, and start heading that direction.:shhh:

I won't be running 40s on my xj. I only run with them in the snow so I'm going to run my xj until it falls apart then switch to something different. I think I figured out what I'm going to do.
I'm going to buy Eric's axles. We have made a deal that works for both of us. Then I'm going to buy an arb for his rear 44. I am also going to buy a new set of stazworks that are 5X5.5 to fit the new axles. This will give me exactly what I want. Its strong, I will have spares, and all in all for what I'm getting its a good deal. Now if I can only get him to tear down his jeep could get started.

Last edited:
Have you considered a Rubicon 44 with RCV axles. The weakest part on the Rubicon front end is the 27 spline outers. All the feed back I have heard, people just aren't breaking the RCV stuff. The other problem is the lack of hub. You can put a high end bushed joint like CTM or Yukon, but they don't last long without hubs. Again, the RCV is a good answer.

Just another option...

My vote goes for a 44 and a 9 inch. Not only are they good axles, but there is a a lot of demand for aftermarket parts, and even better there are aftermarket parts that will make them nearly as strong as one ton axles. I know arb makes a 35 spline carrier for the 44 and there's 35 spline carriers for the nine inch in every flavor you could want.

My vote goes for a 44 and a 9 inch. Not only are they good axles, but there is a a lot of demand for aftermarket parts, and even better there are aftermarket parts that will make them nearly as strong as one ton axles. I know arb makes a 35 spline carrier for the 44 and there's 35 spline carriers for the nine inch in every flavor you could want.

Thank you !!

Okay so after looking over all your post and talking to some of you in person. I ended up buying (or in the process of) Eric's axles out of Red Mustache ride. We have been talking about it for months even before he talked about parting out his rig. So for those who don't know the front is a Ford Dana 44 HP that has been narrowed to Waggy width. It has an OX locker in it with 4.56 gears. The OX locker is air actuated. He also gave me all his steering to match the axles. Plus his steering box because I know this set up works, and I don't want to mess with it after I put it in. It has stock shafts but I have an extra set with a couple extra sets of Hubs. I also ended up getting his XJ Dana 44 rear that has a spool in it with 4.56 gears. It has a Teraflex disk break kit on it and has spacers to match the width of the front. I am going to buy an ARB for the rear because I'm not a big fan of a spool for the type of wheeling I do. This also came with a spare set of shafts and I also picked up a set from Torx that he had laying around. I don't see myself breaking these but if I do then I will buy chromos from them at that time. I am selling my Beadlocks and Steering off the old axles to help pay for some of this. I'm also buying some other stuff witch I will talk about in my build thread when I start it. Thanks for all the help. I really wanted to see how many people would back the Dana 30. And for the price of the new axles I couldn't pass them up.

Back