• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AwesomeXJ late model build

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up my new rig last week. I like it but will be making it better.

97 4dr 5spd. Base, d30/8.25 3.07:1 gears f/r. 3in lift with 31x10.50 AT's
Carpet gutted.

3u4ume8u.jpg

The renders were never clearanced and the front left wheel was rubbing in turns, so this was my first task.
I trimmed the fronts up to the top line around wheel wells and bent the rears into the wells keeping the seam in tact.
te3a6u8y.jpg

Yesterday I got to thinking about how many other xjs in the nwc have this same color. I wanted to do something to set my XJ apart from others plus I needed to cover the rear seam where the paint came off to prevent rust so......
I sprayed 3 coats of satin black and 2 coats of clear coat along the bottom of the doors and around the rear wells.
9ubaqyqe.jpg

I like it

As far as my axles go
weighing the pros and cons.

Ford 8.8: pros
96+ - disk brakes, LSD, 5x4.5 lugz
Found on many Fords from cars to vans some came with 4.10:1 & 4.56:1.
Has huge aftermarket support
Cons:
Would have to search for right axle combination or combine from multiple vehicles.
Would have to modify the assembly to work for the XJ.
Would have to find and purchase one.

Chrysler 8.25: pros
It's already on my XJ
Cons:
Very Limited aftermarket support
Came on many different vehicles none with 4.10:1 or 4.56:1.
Would have to buy new carriers and gears and install kits. $$$$$$
Drum brakes
C-clips

It seems after doing a little searching it has become clear what option I'll be taking.

Nice looking XJ!

If you decide to go with an 8.8, it should be pretty easy to find. I believe it's the '96+ Explorer housing that you want, close to the XJ track width and came with disc brakes and limited slip. There are plenty of those Explorers in the junkyards. I don't know if 4.10 or lower gears are common in them but you could always get gears from another Ford with an 8.8 like a Ranger, F150 or van...

Not sure what you mean by limited aftermarket support for the 8.25. Theres everything you are gonna want/need for them. Lockers, gears, chromos, disk brake conversions.

Almost every maker of locker and gears has a product for the 8.25.

8.8 came in a 4.56 ratio??? I learn something new everyday.

If thats the case and you can find one, the argument is a no brainer, go 8.8. You figure axle costs 300+-, conversion kit 125$ thats 425 into the axle. Sell your 8.25 for 150-200$ Thats puts you at 225 in the axle.

Regear the 8.25 is 225$ just for R n P and install kit, then paying someone to gear it.

Overall the 8.8 will give you the stronger axle and you will have less money into it, just a bit more time and effort.

Man, Glad to see the late model build start with Less swag, and more axle!

Maybe Awesome might work out round 2!:firedevil

/hater:D

Re: Re: AwesomeXJ late model build

Man, Glad to see the late model build start with Less swag, and more axle!

Maybe Awesome might work out round 2!:firedevil

/hater:D

Thx, I'd like to think I learned a lot from you guys in here and trial and error with my last one. Power and drivetrain 1st.

I'm going to gather all the components for my build then put it all on in a month. But I'll do little cosmetic fixes here and there.

for the 8.8 a LSD is OK as long as you have both tires in the ground, once you lift one tire from the ground then it behaves same as a open diff, so don't limit yourself to a LDS 8.8, explore the possibilites of an open 8.8.

for your stick tranny equipped XJ, I would seach for a donor XJ AW4 & 4cyl from 97 to 99, equipped with HPD30 & 8.25 29spline axles,( OK up to 33s tires) comes with 4.10s.. this would be a cheap bolt in swap but not very common version..

frame stiffeners are highly suggested regardless of your wheeling style, a cheap pair of rockrails and go wheeling....

then just replace/enhance components as needed/broken.

The 8.8 is a no brainer swap. If you find it out of a 95+ Explorer it will have 31 spine axles and anything from 3.08 to 4.56 gears. The Ford LSD is a capable unit for wheeling if you do one small trick. Buy a rebuild kit for about $60 and when you do the rebuild add one old disk on each side along with the new kit. You will have great performance wheeling and even if one tire does get off the ground power will still goto both wheels.

Frame stiffeners and sliders are in the works.

It's not the rear end that's most important for traction, its the front. Plans are for ARB up there.

But I would rather have an LSD than an open.

The 8.8 is a no brainer swap. If you find it out of a 95+ Explorer it will have 31 spine axles and anything from 3.08 to 4.56 gears. The Ford LSD is a capable unit for wheeling if you do one small trick. Buy a rebuild kit for about $60 and when you do the rebuild add one old disk on each side along with the new kit. You will have great performance wheeling and even if one tire does get off the ground power will still goto both wheels.

Yeah that is a good trick, to elaborate you take the best two used friction discs from your old clutch pack, and re-order the discs friction-steel-friction-steel instead of the stock friction-steel-steel-friction arrangement. Then use the largest shim possible when you put everything back together (basically the largest one that will still allow you to get the spider gears back in).

You can also get an S-spring from an F150 which is a bit stiffer and will put more preload on the trac lock clutches.

Yeah that is a good trick, to elaborate you take the best two used friction discs from your old clutch pack, and re-order the discs friction-steel-friction-steel instead of the stock friction-steel-steel-friction arrangement. Then use the largest shim possible when you put everything back together (basically the largest one that will still allow you to get the spider gears back in).

You can also get an S-spring from an F150 which is a bit stiffer and will put more preload on the trac lock clutches.

Good to know. Thx

why not get an open one and put a spartan in it? They are dirt cheap!!!

Because I don't want to go that route. It's not going to be a heavy wheeler for a few years. It will get 90% daily driven. That's always an option but I would prefer to go LSD.

Back