• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Trans

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did some more poking around with the jeep tonight and decided to see what trans i have. I found the id tag and noticed something that kinda stumped me. Model number says 30 43LE?:scared: WTF??? So i did some searching online and sure enough it's a AW4. But here's the deal. The AW4 is predominantly found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 was also used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder.The AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions. My guess is previous owner need a trans and put in what he could. :nono: Is this is just a disaster waiting to happen? Does anyone know the actual difference between #30-43LE for 2wd versions and #40-30LE for 4wd versions. Or why they put the #30 in rather that the #40?

Last edited:
Subscribing to learn

I think that's a typo on the Novak site you're looking at. The make decent products, but sometimes their website has bogus information.

A340E is the Toyota designation for the 30-40LE series. The difference between the 40LE and 43LE is the output shaft spline count which changed in 91 I believe. 4th gear ratio changed at the same time.

It's an AW4 and its working, so don't worry about it. It's a pretty robust tranny, and if you ever do have an issue it's usually an electrical issue, typically a bad throttle position sensor.

I did some more poking around with the jeep tonight and decided to see what trans i have. I found the id tag and noticed something that kinda stumped me. Model number says 30 43LE?:scared: WTF??? So i did some searching online and sure enough it's a AW4. But here's the deal. The AW4 is predominantly found behind the AMC 4.0L (242 ci) I6 engine. The AW4 was also used behind the AMC 2.5 four-cylinder.The AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions. My guess is previous owner need a trans and put in what he could. :nono: Is this is just a disaster waiting to happen? Does anyone know the actual difference between #30-43LE for 2wd versions and #40-30LE for 4wd versions. Or why they put the #30 in rather that the #40?
that gave me a headache :helpme:

A) Novak is wrong sometimes, a 30-40LE is a 21 spline AW4 a 30-43LE is a 23 spline

The model has NOTHING to do with 4x4 or not... if it has a tail shaft housing it is a (pretty rare) 2WD AW4 if it doesn't have a tail shaft housing it obviously mates to a transfercase.

Reason I found this thread is I am trying to figure out how to visually ID a regular AW4 with its own dedicated shift computer (TCU) from a later one (I think 97+) that was shifted by the Engine computer. check here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66837

CaliXJ if you have a 2.5 that has a rare AW4 behind it that also means you should have rare 4.56 gears.

Last edited:
Back