• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping a 2wd AW4 out of a 2000 xj into a 2wd xj from 1996

Z.m4v

NAXJA Forum User
I have a late 1996 (10/1996) Jeep Cherokee Country 2wd that had its transmission go out. I picked up a "1996" AW4 off marketplace, turns out its really a 2000 AW4. I have read the post about transmission year splices interchanges etc, but not much is covered about the 2wd models. My question essentially is will a 2000 AW4 work with a 1996 and what modifications are needed? Does the trans still function without the input speed sensor? I have the harness from the 1996, How to convert the output speed sensor if needed, and will the NSS swap over from the 1996?

I assume you've seen https://naxja.org/threads/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-aw4.1053970/
All the same information with regard to applies to the 2WD version.

The transmission will work just fine without the front input speed sensor connected. The big thing is swapping over the parts to get the right output speed sensor, so the trans computer knows when to shift. The NSS will swap over just fine if the connector is different (I don't recall when that changed ).

10/96 would be a 97. Is your Jeep the later body style?
Surprisingly not, it's a 1984-1996 cherokee country body style with the old interior, 10/96 production date. I've had some weird wiring problems with this car. Some stuff has 96 connectors but other stuff uses the 97+ connectors. I swapped the rear speed sensor from the 4 pulse/ revolution to the older 1 pulse from the 1996. Left front speed sensor unplugged, and swapped all wiring from the 1996 transmission. I've yet to start it because I broke one of the transmission line clips but everything plugged right up.

10/96 would be a 97. Is your Jeep the later body style?
Also when looking for a replacement carpet, I read this in the disclaimer "
This item DOES NOT fit the (rare) 1996 Model Year with the Crossmember/Seat Riser"
after looking at my interior, my jeep does have the crossmember/ seat riser

I swapped the rear speed sensor from the 4 pulse/ revolution to the older 1 pulse from the 1996.
I'm assuming you swapped the rotor and as well. As I recall the older sensor was longer bottomed out when I did my swap. I ended up using the 98 sensor and making the electronic converter mentioned in the everything aw4 thread.

I'm assuming you swapped the rotor and as well. As I recall the older sensor was longer bottomed out when I did my swap. I ended up using the 98 sensor and making the electronic converter mentioned in the everything aw4 thread.
Yes, I swapped the 1996 rotor over to the new trans using the 1996 sensor

Back