• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Austin Healey:VS:Metal Worm

PUT A FAWKING MAGNET ON THE BODY PANEL.

You still are reading it wrong. Under the section you cite, it is including both the 100S and 100M, giving a overview of ALL '52-'59 AH's. In the text of the article it states "Its [100S] considerably different specification included alloy body panels, special oval grill, disc brakes on all wheels, updated suspension, large fuel tank and a tuned 132 hp engine."

-----Matt-----

Matt, take one:
chill_pill.jpg

He doesn't have the body. He only has the frame and is operating on information from someone else. If you are that worked up about this send a PM and ask for contact information for the owner of the vehicle.

I see Matt's on here, but on his behalf, he has a love for these types of cars. He's an avid lover and would prefer an ignorant someone not ruin what is potentially a highly sought after piece of history. I can't blame the guy. :)

Why is it that anyone has the "right" to be upset at what someone else does with their vehicle (rare or not)?

There are people who believe that you shouldn't modify a perfectly good stock MJ because they are rare.

And others that believe if you have an original classic race car (pick your favorite, Lotus, Lamborghini, Cobras, AH, etc) that it should be USED on the race track.

The car I saw in the early pic's was a disaster area and obviously needed lots of work. Should there be some sort of "board" that dictates how and who is qualified to do that type of work? Or can the owner take it apon himself to decide what he wan't from the vehicle and who is qualified to do the work. There are plenty of people who are "experts" on particular brands and if you put them all together often even they can't agree on what was offered, or how it should be "judged".

I can think of a handful of vehicles of recent that "may" end up to become classics at some point (particular Fieros, Trans Ams, Acura NSXs, many others) does it mean that any of these should not be driven but stored in the appropriate place until they become rare classics? My point is at what point do they become rare classics and why is it that "others" who may or may not be experts want to dictate what happens with them?

Personally, I LOVE AH's. As I am sure that many others on this board do also. In my opinion it is not any of our places to judge what the car is, what it is worth, and who should or should not be doing the work. I do on the other hand really enjoy seeing the progress and work that is being done for this restroration.

Just my opinion,
Michael

I made some progress on the Healey over the last couple of weeks.
DSC01473.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

Initially the front frame sections didn't line up well at all. The frame sprung inwards about 3" overall after the front cross-member was removed. I used a screw-type jack stand to spread the frame out and everything started fitting nice and square.
DSC01474.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

Front Cross-member \/
DSC01487.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

As always, the nicest weld is the one easiest to get to.
DSC01490.jpg

Carnage removed:
DSC01489.jpg

Very nicely done!

How much more are you are doing to it?

Michael

Very nicely done!
How much more are you are doing to it?
Michael

Thanks Michael. I signed on to repair the frame and replace the rusty floorpans. The left and right outer shroud/fender supports (terminology?) are rusted, just like the rockers. In addition there's a couple more required frame repairs thanks to the previous owner trying to stick a 6-cylinder into the 4-cylinder car. The front and rear shroud, plus the doors will have to be installed before I do the final install on the rockers and trunk pan, so the gaps turn out perfect. I'll be adjusting the gaps (compromising :D) with Dave at my side since he's the resto-expert.

-Rich

Here's some more progress including the aluminum rear shroud.
The frame repair is completely finished including the new 4-cylinder engine mounts.
DSC01572.jpg

Here's the rear shock mount repair:
The previous owner booger welded some 1/4" angle over the frame in an attempt to strengthen the shock mount.

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

New rear door panels where the door striker attaches.
DSC01534.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

After
DSC01569.jpg

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

The forward door jamb also needed some work.
DSC01558.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01563.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

Hey IXNAYXJ come on over and bring a magnet with you.
DSC01565.jpg

Here's the final progress pics. The owner came and picked up the car a few weeks ago as most the welding was complete. The car is going to a Guy in Yakima who specializes in Austin Healeys. The professional shop will install the rocker panels, and at the same time, set the door gaps. Originally I was tasked with setting the gaps and and welding the rockers but honestly I'm glad it's no longer my responsibility. I didn't take before and after pictures this time but hopefully you all get the idea.

The Floor and trunk pan's are in.
232323232fp43374-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp43373-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp43366-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp43359-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

The following are pictures of the repaired transmission cover, damaged by the PO to fit the larger engine.

232323232fp43348-nu3255-497-258--1.jpg

232323232fp4334--nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp43348-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp4334-nu3255-497-258-W-1.jpg

232323232fp43364-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

232323232fp43368-nu3255-497-258-WSN.jpg

I agree looks great!

One thing for everyone to remember about these cars: They were hand built originally. The fenders were rolled on a wheel not stamped out. In Triumph judging earlier this month I listened to the judges get lectured on this point before they were set loose to do their inspections. Sheet metal on this vintage of British vehicle should not be perfect or uniform. As far as I can tell that AH is going to be better than it should have been originally simply due to the higher quality of modern metals and greater attention to fabrication it's received.

I agree looks great!

One thing for everyone to remember about these cars: They were hand built originally. The fenders were rolled on a wheel not stamped out. In Triumph judging earlier this month I listened to the judges get lectured on this point before they were set loose to do their inspections. Sheet metal on this vintage of British vehicle should not be perfect or uniform. As far as I can tell that AH is going to be better than it should have been originally simply due to the higher quality of modern metals and greater attention to fabrication it's received.

Thanks a lot!

Compared to the chassis, sheet metal is easy. I wish you were around when I was trying to get all the final chassis measurements to match up.

-Rich

The car has been completed and it's very nice. On its first outing it got 3rd place down in Portland. I had nothing to do with the paint and bodywork but it turned out exceptional. Enjoy!

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Below you can see how well I fit :laugh:

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg