• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Austin Healey:VS:Metal Worm

Garanteed to be the strongest part of a british roadster ;)

Just for fun, this Healey build is inspiration for my future Spitfire build. I happen to know where 2 complete SHO parts cars are too:

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/NormanRest.htm

I realize a Spit isn't as sexy as a big Healey, but still a fun roadster.

I bet that sucker hauls some ass.

Very nice.

The owner's name is Dave, and he's a personal hero of mine. 2+ years ago he restored a MkIII and put it up for sale. Dave is 76 years old and last year a collector from Cali sent a driver and trailer,plus a $67,000 check as payment for the Big Healey.
Do you think he's qualified to rebuild this car? He will tell me if I screwed something up.

Dave worked last Sunday with me (initially to hold my hand). As he was leaving he said" you know what your doing, just let me know how many hours you worked and I'll pay you". Like I said he's a personal hero of mine so that was cool.

Spitfire?? Mark I or MarkII?? They are great light cars having a bunch of horsepower in there would be very fun!!!!

Late model, '78 Mk IV 1500 w/ early bumpers
fair08005.jpg

/End hijack

Sideshow said:
The owner's name is Dave, and he's a personal hero of mine. 2+ years ago he restored a MkIII and put it up for sale. Dave is 76 years old and last year a collector from Cali sent a driver and trailer,plus a $67,000 check as payment for the Big Healey.
Do you think he's qualified to rebuild this car? He will tell me if I screwed something up.

Dave worked last Sunday with me (initially to hold my hand). As he was leaving he said" you know what your doing, just let me know how many hours you worked and I'll pay you". Like I said he's a personal hero of mine so that was cool.

Sounds like a cool guy. Looks like you're going to have a lot of time in chassis work too. Hell of a project you got there. Good luck!

From Wikipedia:
Another variety was the 55 aluminium-bodied "100S" (for Sebring) models with 132 hp (98 kW).

I ran the 100S concept by him. Dave was adamant the car is a BN2 with the Lemans kit. The body's alloy for sure, its light as hell.

You can buy every piece of this car, I've seen the catalog. I understand the replacement panels will need some work to fit but it saves fabricating time, and I'm not paying for them.

Below is a picture of the salvaged front frame section. It's $400 to order a 4' section of framerail. Dave found a burned BN2 in Cali and had the front frame sections cut off and sent up here. The only problem is the guy cut the frame off about 1-2 inches behind the lower A-arm mount. We're currently brainstorming on how to execute the splice.
IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm working on it tonight as long as the negotiation with my wife goes as planned:hang:.

Are you planning on free forming those pieces that are too rusty/damaged to salvage? The body looks to be sandblasted. It wasn't acid dipped was it?

Nope, most of the panels I need are available from a couple of different companies. The car was sandblasted. However, I will have to fabricate the footwell floorboards under the pedals, most of the panels in good shape and no beadroller required. Although, a stud gun would be helpful for the firewall.

The previous owner tried to stick a 6 cylinder in the 4 cylinder car, but failed. It turns out the 4 cylinder cars are 4" shorter in the engine compartment. The previous owner cut out some of the x-member to stuff the longer drive-train in the car. The 6 cylinder was also rammed into the firewall, I assume in attempt to make it fit. I need a stud gun because there's no access to the rear face of the firewall.

I put in some time last night and partially removed the 6 cylinder engine mounts the previous owner booger welded in. I think he used an old buzz box from the quality of the welds, if you could call them that.
DSC01419.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

There's also another problem area to add to the list. 1"x1" angle iron was welded to the bottom of the frame I think in an attempt to re-attach the left rear shock mount. I don't know what I can do to make this look factory.
DSC01424.jpg

And best of all, I got parts and they're really nice. :clap: These are the best remanufactured panels I have ever seen. They're very thick and wont require much trimming.
DSC01423.jpg
DSC01420.jpg
DSC01421.jpg

I would love to show this thing off if anyone wants to swing by. I met some of you at the last M&G (The Rock in Bothell). PM if you like.

I'll try to take you up on that offer in a week or so. Right now time is short... I work in Lynnwood so I'll try to stop by on the way out. I'll PM you for address and good times.

I'll try to take you up on that offer in a week or so. Right now time is short... I work in Lynnwood so I'll try to stop by on the way out. I'll PM you for address and good times.
Sounds good

Chop-Cut-Ohcrap
DSC01431.jpg

As you can see I chopped the front of this little beasty. I'm starting to prep the new frame sections by repairing the lower A-arm mounts and removing the old rusty crossmember.
DSC01437.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

After the front sections are prepped for welding Im going to start fabricating a doubler for the inside of the frame. Then mock everything up and measure, measure, measure.
DSC01436.jpg

Check out my new sawsall, it cuts so much smoother than the old one. The blade attachment on my old Makita finally let go after partially cutting one framerail. BTW the FIRE & RESCUE blades are awesome, very thick and last long time.
DSC01441.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

Did anybody ever figure out what this thing actually was? I did some digging into values; the last 100S sold in Australia for $563,000. One just before that went for $472,000 to a buyer in England. In 2007, a nice example sold for $500,000 and the same buyer also bought a car in need of a total restoration for $400,000, though the car has a unique history, likely placing its finished value closer to $600,000.

The use of the wrong shade of primer, without overspray on exactly the right spots can affect the values of these kind of cars significantly. Everything matters.

-----Matt-----

Did anybody ever figure out what this thing actually was? I did some digging into values; the last 100S sold in Australia for $563,000. One just before that went for $472,000 to a buyer in England. In 2007, a nice example sold for $500,000 and the same buyer also bought a car in need of a total restoration for $400,000, though the car has a unique history, likely placing its finished value closer to $600,000.

The use of the wrong shade of primer, without overspray on exactly the right spots can affect the values of these kind of cars significantly. Everything matters.

-----Matt-----

I can remember hearing an argument about Mustang rear differential inspection marks and as to wether it was possible the mark was different due to the normal inspector calling in sick that day...

Did anybody ever figure out what this thing actually was? -----Matt-----

As I said, Dave is adamant the car is a BN2 with the Lemans Kit, and he also said all the 100S' were all accounted for.
BTW he found a 67 Healey tucked away in some ladys garage in Redmond. She parked it 25 years ago when the brakes stopped working. She knows what it's worth but the last 67 Austin Healey sold at Barret Jackson for $82,000.

Last edited:
As I said, Dave is adamant the car is a BN2 with the Lemans Kit, and he also said all the 100S' were all accounted for.
BTW he found a 67 Healey tucked away in some ladys garage in Redmond. She parked it 25 years ago when the brakes stopped working. She knows what it's worth but the last 67 Austin Healey sold at Barret Jackson for $82,000.

Is this what it is?
100M September 1955 - July 1956 Le Mans version, available from the factory as a modified BN2. Only 640 produced

http://www.healeyclub.org/healey-cars.aspx#bighealey

I'm always interested in learning more about cool cars.

I'm just glad I'm learning about Austin Healey's and not MGs.... ;)

Nice man. I think that's it.

So it's a steel body car. That's where all this confusion has come from for me. The ONLY reason it might have been a 100S is the alloy body, which was your original contention.
-----Matt-----
P.S. The LM kit was also a dealer intalled option, the actual count is almost 1200 cars.

Yes, that's the only unknown at this point, but check this out:

100 and 100-6 Healeys from 1952-1959 had "steel and aluminum body with steel chassis", The Enthusiasts guide to buying a classic sports car, Pg 36, http://books.google.com/books?id=Sm...4vmxBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result
Now posessing the knowledge that these cars came with a combination of steel and aluminum bodies. I think the cars a 100-BN2 exactly as dave said, but with the dealer installed lemans kit you mention.

I got some work done over the past couple of weeks. The replacement panels hidden by the front crossmember were tacked into place.
DSC01451.jpg

Front a-arm mounts repaired.
DSC01453.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

I cut the doublers out with my new saw and rosette welded them into the front frame sections. I got the idea for the saw over on Pirate.
DSC01462.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

And the saw, which works great.
DSC01449.jpg

Yes, that's the only unknown at this point, but check this out:

100 and 100-6 Healeys from 1952-1959 had "steel and aluminum body with steel chassis", The Enthusiasts guide to buying a classic sports car, Pg 36, http://books.google.com/books?id=Sm...4vmxBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result
Now posessing the knowledge that these cars came with a combination of steel and aluminum bodies. I think the cars a 100-BN2 exactly as dave said, but with the dealer installed lemans kit you mention.
PUT A FAWKING MAGNET ON THE BODY PANEL.

You still are reading it wrong. Under the section you cite, it is including both the 100S and 100M, giving a overview of ALL '52-'59 AH's. In the text of the article it states "Its [100S] considerably different specification included alloy body panels, special oval grill, disc brakes on all wheels, updated suspension, large fuel tank and a tuned 132 hp engine."

-----Matt-----

Back