• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Austin Healey:VS:Metal Worm

Sideshow

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing some welding for a guy and here's some pics. Its a 100-Bn2 with the rare Lemans kit which came with an aluminum body. Apparently this models claim to fame is it could maintain 100MPH in 1952, hence the model name "100".
1956_Austin_HEaley_100_4_BN2_Roadst.jpg

/\This is what it looked like when it rolled out of the factory.
And Now \/
IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, looks like you still have some work to do. Everytime i think of Austin Healey I think of Home Improvement :D

Looks good. It must not have been out in the elements too much.

Defenitely worth the effort it needs.

Are you sure about the alloy body? All I can find says the Le Mans cars were steel body. Also, they made more than 1200 LM cars, so they aren't exactly rare.

-----Matt-----
Maybe this (??):
From Wikipedia:
Another variety was the 55 aluminium-bodied "100S" (for Sebring) models with 132 hp (98 kW).

I'm not an authority on AH so I'm just looking around as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 100S cars had an alloy body, but if that car is an S not an LM, this resto should be done at a professional shop. They only built a handful, they were significant cars and it would deserve to be done right.

-----Matt-----

I do not know the abilities of any one involved in this particular car.

Having said that I have seen a number of professional restorations that flat out sucked. If enough knowledge, ability and time are used an excellent restoration can be completed by a non-professional. I spent my early 20s involved in the vintage Mustang scene and saw glaring examples of both sides. My own Triumph was immaculatly restored by my father to such a state that it regularly beats prefessional restorations at the concours judging. He spent a LOT more time researching than he did working on it and has the added benefit of having taken early retirement. So time was available.

BTW: Please keep the progress shots coming I appreciate seeing the AH and it's progress.

I do not know the abilities of any one involved in this particular car.
Nor do I, but not knowing what model the car is would lead me to believe automotive restoration is not the forte of those involved. There are a lot of ways to ruin a historic car beyond shitty paint; if you make anything non-original it can have a significant effect on the value.

All I'm saying is that if it is indeed a real 100S, it should be at a shop that specializes in AH's. I have no doubt that Sideshow is a good welder, don't get me wrong, but it would seem that restoration is not his primary area of expertise.

-----Matt-----

WOW you have a LOT of work ahead of you. And being a "rare" car, not a whole lot of parts available. Are you planning on free forming those pieces that are too rusty/damaged to salvage? The body looks to be sandblasted. It wasn't acid dipped was it?

I did a 66 Mustang sedan in very similar condition. And it took a long time (300 hrs) to get ready for paint. And that was with full aftermarket support. Yes I know it wasn't worth it, but it had some serious sentimental value to the customer.

BTW Tracy are you joking when you said "Looks good. It must not have been out in the elements too much." That thing look like a nightmare of rust. Welding in new panels on that is going to be a nightmare. I am sure that metal has rusted it self so thin that it will have to be welded extremely cool to keep from blowing through that rusty sheet metal. Sandblasting only get the rust from the outside, inside those panels it probably nothing but scale.

I have to agree with Hans. It is not an "S" model (running drum brakes) which means it doesn't have the alloy skin; how does anybody know if it is even the slightly more desirable (than a standard car) Le Mans model/upgrade? As far gone and as crumpled as it is, the owner will never see daylight on this project. Unless it's the car he took his wife to their highschool prom in, he's better off to sell the carcass and buy one already restored.

-----Matt-----

personally I would say it is not a 100S because to my knowledge, I have never seen an alloy bodied car have rust holes like that.

Also some of the best early Porsche and early Jag. restorers in the world not not "professional" but run shops out of the back of their homes (shops that make most professional shops look like a joke but...)

Good luck, I do not envy you, that is a ton of work, free forming replacement parts for that car, I just hope the compensation will make up for your time. I also hope the owner is a decent guy that does not expect it done tomorrow.

BTW Tracy are you joking when you said "Looks good. It must not have been out in the elements too much." That thing look like a nightmare of rust. Welding in new panels on that is going to be a nightmare. I am sure that metal has rusted it self so thin that it will have to be welded extremely cool to keep from blowing through that rusty sheet metal. Sandblasting only get the rust from the outside, inside those panels it probably nothing but scale.

Not joking ( Unfortunately). British cars of the 50's and 60's didn't get zinc dips or undercoating treatments. The rockers were often open to road grime from the wheel wells. I am surprised that there are any floor pans at all and that the rockers resemble boxes still. IMO rocker and floorpan replacement are base minimums when restoring British cars of this vintage. Sealing up the rockers both with sealant paints and by caping them is suggested and with the use of modern materials most cars come out better than original.

Hmmm if we could get Jeremy to build a set of rocker replacements out of 6" x 2" sq tube.... ;)

Hmmm if we could get Jeremy to build a set of rocker replacements out of 6" x 2" sq tube.... ;)
Garanteed to be the strongest part of a british roadster ;)

Just for fun, this Healey build is inspiration for my future Spitfire build. I happen to know where 2 complete SHO parts cars are too:

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/NormanRest.htm

I realize a Spit isn't as sexy as a big Healey, but still a fun roadster.

Garanteed to be the strongest part of a british roadster ;)

Just for fun, this Healey build is inspiration for my future Spitfire build. I happen to know where 2 complete SHO parts cars are too:

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/NormanRest.htm

I realize a Spit isn't as sexy as a big Healey, but still a fun roadster.

Spitfire?? Mark I or MarkII?? They are great light cars having a bunch of horsepower in there would be very fun!!!!

Back