• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are you fat?

According to that chart I'm a fat slob. I'm 5'9" and weigh around 215. Yet I run 8 miles twice a week, eat nothing but fruit, vegetables, and high protein meats and cereals, and usually only take in about 1200 calories a day, sometimes <1000. I had a Human Nutrition course last semester, and my professor said charts like that, and even more sophisticated BMI tests don't take into account muscle mass/density. Alot of your weight has to do with your overall frame, which in my case I have the shoulders of someone 6'+, size 13 shoes and a ginormous head. I could stand to lose a few, but I'm not fat.

I'm of black, Irish, German/Polish, and Cherokee (yes, I get the irony) descent. Don't know too much of what that genetic makeup is built like, but I know I'm built just like a taller version of my parents. Dad has always had a gut but fat free arms and Mom's side comes with big strong legs. So, I'm a bit bottom heavy...I can keep up with most people in the gym when it comes to leg press but don't even come close to anyone else in upper body strength.

Back