• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone want to spend $35k on an '86 XJ?

Instead of a three bedroom house with an attached garage, sounds like you need a three or four bay garage with an attached house! Your area of the world is too expensive for my tastes, but that's where the money jobs are. My brother-in-law and his wife live in Watertown MA, and they paid almost $400k for a small Cape Cod, that now seems to need some expensive repair. But, they make the kind of money there that they couldn't in Northeast PA.

Yeah, I'd love to live in PA on a bajillion acres of land with my own private junkyard, but finding a decent computer engineering type job down there is difficult and I don't really want to try switching jobs, buying a fixer upper house, and repairing it all at once. Seems like a great way to invite disaster in for a party.

We cheated when we moved here twenty years ago. We had a new house built, on two acres. The basement wasn't partitioned, so I got to make a nice big garage. The best part is that we can't see the neighbors when there's leaves on the trees, and no one bothers us. Quite a change coming from a rowhouse in Northeast Philly, where everyone knew your business. Now if I could get the deer and rabbits to stop eating the plants! Basically, we traded two legged critters for four legged ones, but the ones with four legs aren't there to steal your junk, and I haven't seen one carrying heat, not yet!

And, did I mention it's only 10-15 minutes to Harry's U Pull It? We sometimes go there for inspiration!

I am trying to buy a 2/5 acre lot with 1400sqft of house on it for 38 right now, in a fairly nice area of town. It needs a new roof, asbestos removal, and a new heating system but otherwise is in fairly decent shape.

If that one falls through I am going to be buying a 1000sqft place on a 3800 square foot lot with a garage for 23.

Do they have any houses in the area without axles under them? :wave:

Yup!

Both of the places I'm looking at have solid foundations, and are not manufactured or mobile.

Heck, the bigger one has a basement ceiling high enough that I can stand straight up and walk under the support beams, and I'm 6 foot 4. I have NEVER been in a 100 year old house with a basement ceiling that high, I love it.

Ray, I am now officially jealous... sounds like a great place. I would love to build my own house but I don't have the cash to do it, foundations are expensive. I'm hoping to buy a place and get it fixed up in time for the market to recover, sell it, and use the money to build exactly what I want somewhere else.

We bought twa acres back in '91, and had the cheapest 'nice' house built in the middle of one acre. It's set up so that we can sell the other acre seperately, and with what the clowns in Wilkes Barre did to the taxes last year, that may happen. We searched for quite a while, and it was much more economic to do a new house. Although, getting the permit to build the sandmound turned into fisticuffs at a July Fourth picnic! There isn't a broom big enough to sweep out the courthouse in Wilkes Barre, and the FBI is trying!

wanna redo ur englishes lol

It's a quarter mile down, and a quarter mile back. It's not 1140 trips either.

never seen a full blown dragster make the 1/4 mile back. as soon as they cross the finish line, pull chute and have a tow vehicle tow it back to the pits.

so considering it has a wheelie bar and a chute, i am pretty positive that it only see's a 1/4 mile per time

I'm not trying to do math but don't forget that they don't stop at 1320', they gotta keep going until they slow down and stop. The track I go to is a little track in the middle of seemingly nowhere(pits aren't even paved) and the track seems like it's almost 1/2 miles long. Gotta love a track where the owner of the track's house is right around the 1/8th mile mark about 300' off the track, good times, good times. Woke us up 3 years ago around 7am with his 10 second early 60's 427 Galaxie going full tilt down the track. First car I saw first time I was there was a 9 second AMC Javelin with a chute being driven by a girl. Gotta love camping 150' from the track.

I fawking love that this thread turned into a math argument.

Back