• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever tried this?

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
I was bored one day and thought, "how cool would it be if I could take the doors off my xj like a wrangler for when i go to the beach?" thinking of devising an adapter to weld onto the door, any suggestions or ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

You did search for removable doors Right? Its been covered many-a-times:)

I know www.CarolinaRockShop.com has tube doors for an XJ. Dont know the cost.

AARON

Remove the doors, cut bottom ear off of each mount on each door, stick pin back through the remaining top mounts and weld to the mount. Now they're removable like Wranglers only twice the weight.

or

Remove doors and smooth some metal off of each pin and weld tabs onto each pin. now you have removable pins.

The previous method is easier to remove and reinstall AND you don't have to keep up with pins.

Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the bronze fabric bushing from each body-side mount. prepare for a little door sag when it's open, but when you close it, it'll line right back up.

HTH

I like the idea of removeable doors and have never thought about doing this till just recently. (like past few days) The whole process with the pins and hinges sounds simple enough. I have speakers, power locks and power windows to deal with. What did you guys do with all those wires?

First trace around the hinges so youll have a reference for were they go later. Pull the wires through the kick panel, The speakers can go under the dash if you want. Then unbolt the doors being careful not to strip the bolt heads. Once its off cut off the lower part part of the hinge on the door. Then if you want put some grease on the pin and inside the actual hinge. The passenger side is a little dif, Cause the pin is pushed in from the bottom up, So you might want to switch it around or figure something out(i m not that far on mine yet) Hope that helps, Good luck
Scott

Jimmys95 said:
I like the idea of removeable doors and have never thought about doing this till just recently. (like past few days) The whole process with the pins and hinges sounds simple enough. I have speakers, power locks and power windows to deal with. What did you guys do with all those wires?

I have seen people use trailer connectors as quick disconnects for the power windows and doorlocks. It costs less than $25 from Northern tool and it looked like it worked well on the door. It works just fine on my trailer:D

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I have seen people use trailer connectors as quick disconnects for the power windows and doorlocks. It costs less than $25 from Northern tool and it looked like it worked well on the door. It works just fine on my trailer:D

AARON

like this?

hinges02.jpg

not quite weatherproof, but it doesn't rain in So. Cal. :D

I've been considering that mod also on my 2 door. I only have crank windows and manual locks, so that wasn't an issue.

As far as the speaker, I removed it from the door, pulled the harness into the cab of the truck, took the connector off the speaker, hooked the connector onto a long piece of speaker wire, plugged it back into the harness, ran the speaker wire under the dash, under the center console, out at the seatbelt acccess area, up the side of the seat and into the head rest. Of course, I had previously removed the headrest, taken off the cover, cut away the foam backing, screwed the speaker into the headrest, and then replaced the cover.

I figure if the Fiero can come with factory speakers in the headrest, then there is no reason that an XJ can't be afforded the same luxury!

Easy mod...should only take about 30 or 40 minutes not counting "beer rests."

removable doors are you guys nuts?
That will weaken the unibody, crap why not just drill a thousand holes through the unibody rails. you guys and your crazy ideas :cheers:
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
removable doors are you guys nuts?
That will weaken the unibody, crap why not just drill a thousand holes through the unibody rails. you guys and your crazy ideas :cheers:
DIG IT!

Not sure if you are joking, but it seems to me that as long as you use some kind of door in its place (ie tube doors) it will have no effect on the unibody, wouldn't you agree? :D

For the umpteenth time, doors do not provide structural integrety.

The only way to gain bodily strength from a hinged panel is to weld the thing shut.

NOPE no one has ever taken their doors off or thought of making them quick dissconnect.!! U are really bright u should get an AWARD!! :looser:

stoney

Terry they must provide structural integrity I mean why else would they be there? They are not just for looks. :lecture:
DIG IT!
Your my names not red so I am inferior to you friend Bucky...

BUCKYXJ said:
Terry they must provide structural integrity I mean why else would they be there? They are not just for looks. :lecture:
DIG IT!
Your my names not red so I am inferior to you friend Bucky...
Okay, Mr. Inferior, ever heard of cold weather, or rain, or falling out?:D

I mean, what soccer mom is gonna want their little offspring falling out all over the highway?

hpi Jeep, If you can find me a picture of any vehicle ,with a full roof, that is folded like a taco because the doors were off, I will buy you a coke.

PS. Send in your dues.

did mine yesterday, couldn't be happier. i have a two door with power everything and they weighed in at 75 lbs each. also obvious but, pull the door ajar wire harness apart to get the dome lights off.

i've ridden in wranglers all the time with the doors off, but my first trip in the xj doorless was "different" to say the least. just need to get used to it, i guess. can't wait to wheel it this way.

Back