• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever "boat tailed" the front end?

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ym MJ ready for stock mod. competition next month and am trying to build it to the very edge of whats legal. If I can narrow the grill,hood,and pull the fenders in , I can run my 38.5s with only 6" of lift as well as move the axle forward enough to have close to a zero approach angle. I think I can narrow it to the edges of the grill (radiator width) by sectioning the center of the grill and glassing it back together, moving the battery in the back and cutting out the battery box and air box compartments. I plan on cutting it up in 2 weeks when I return from Tellico. Anyone have any pics or comments before the hacking begins?

BIGWOODY said:
I'm getting ym MJ ready for stock mod. competition next month and am trying to build it to the very edge of whats legal. If I can narrow the grill,hood,and pull the fenders in , I can run my 38.5s with only 6" of lift as well as move the axle forward enough to have close to a zero approach angle. I think I can narrow it to the edges of the grill (radiator width) by sectioning the center of the grill and glassing it back together, moving the battery in the back and cutting out the battery box and air box compartments. I plan on cutting it up in 2 weeks when I return from Tellico. Anyone have any pics or comments before the hacking begins?

I don't have any tech, but here's a few pics that were posted on PBB...
xjdb0457.jpg

xjdb0471.jpg

xjdb0472.jpg

Hope this helps.
Billy

Dove tailing would be wider towards the... outer edge. Boattailing is narrower towards the outer edge. (front or back)

Mike L said:
I thought it was "dove-tailing"? :huh:

-Mike

yeah - but if you boat tail - then you can float across the river crossings...

I looked at doing the same thing to my XJ. I really think you are on the right track. My plan was exactly the same as yours. Plus, like you said, you will be able to get rid of the battery/air boxes on either side that form the front part of the inner fender. It probably doesn't need to be said, but of course, you need to strengthen that area when you replate it, since it is structural.

Post some pics when you are done!

Jay

In the process now.. Hardest part is matching up the fender..
I took a total of 20 inches out of the front of my MJ. 10 on each side.
from the origional width of the front of the MJ. I'd suggest you not remove as much to keep from having to add 3 + inches into the fenders..
I'm also removing the coil buckets/mounts and putting tube behind the fenders to reinforce them as well as mounting my Fox shox to. The frame is getting plated this week and tube work should begin within two weeks.

MJdovetail.jpg

there are some more images on my site so feel free to poke around.
I'll post some more on Sat after we finish sectioning the grill and header panel.

Later
Dave

AZXJ said:
In the process now.. Hardest part is matching up the fender..
I took a total of 20 inches out of the front of my MJ. 10 on each side.
from the origional width of the front of the MJ. I'd suggest you not remove as much to keep from having to add 3 + inches into the fenders..
I'm also removing the coil buckets/mounts and putting tube behind the fenders to reinforce them as well as mounting my Fox shox to. The frame is getting plated this week and tube work should begin within two weeks.

MJdovetail.jpg

there are some more images on my site so feel free to poke around.
I'll post some more on Sat after we finish sectioning the grill and header panel.

Later
Dave

Hey dave, that is lookin good. What other plans do you have for it? your homepage link is dead, I want to see those pictures! Let me know when you get the link fixed. David

Back