• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any dates for Nac fest??

Brian Carpenter said:
Is that June date firm??

Well, to be honest, nothing has been absolutely decided as yet, but, that is the only weekend we can do this in the spring - so it's either going to be then, or not at all. If you want 100% certainty - you'll have to wait for an announcement from Eagle, the NAC prez - that might be a couple of weeks away though.

Stay tuned.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
Well, to be honest, nothing has been absolutely decided as yet, but, that is the only weekend we can do this in the spring - so it's either going to be then, or not at all. If you want 100% certainty - you'll have to wait for an announcement from Eagle, the NAC prez - that might be a couple of weeks away though.

Stay tuned.

Come on guys, grow some cajonas and make a executive decision. Why wait for Eagle? :eyes:

OK, make your plans. I called Paragon this morning and reserved the weekend of June 18-20. There are no other events that weekend so there will be no ‘Zuks this year.

paragon camping is a rip off we paid $80 for 4 people for 2days :scared: . at least at rausch you pay for a day of wheelin and camp for free.

Where did you actually camp. We usually camp at red ridge, and I've never seen it over 20 a night, getting showers, toilets, fire pits, etc. Plus there is a guy down the road that gives out free fire wood road every time I'm there. _nicko_

it was $10 per person per night at red ridge. yea they have bathrooms just give me a tree that leans and im fine. i just think those prices are out of control

$10 a night is “out of control”? Don’t ever go to Moab.

There are plenty of woods around Paragon that you could pitch a tent in for free. Just do us a favor, after a day or two on the trail in June try to stay down wind from the rest of the participants.

Mike in NJ said:
FW - in the absence of any violent objections to the 18-20 JUN dates, that's the weekend we're going to recommend to Eagle when he gets back. <snip>

Mike - Several members have said to me that the June 18-20 dates put NAFest just 17 days before the National event at Tellico. Some feel this is too close for comfort. NAC Has had some bad weather luck in the past, but in may, june, july weather is always a question mark.

I for one would recommend we aim for early june / end of may like we did last year. Yes it was raining, but at least it didn't snow like it did NACFest '02 :D.

If paragon is our limiting factor for dates maybe we should look into making Rausch Creek the main event and paragon a side trip. I for one think the prices at Paragon are outlandish.

Tim

Tim - Here is what we’re up against; The last weekend in May is Memorial day, the first weekend in June is Paragon's monthly ride, the second weekend has several groups already booked. If we go earlier in May there is a good chance of cold and snow. We have always tried to keep it early in June because of Tellico but that didn't work out this year.

Rausch Creek has some good trails and is getting better all the time, but there isn’t enough there to keep people busy for three days especially the hardcore groups. We do plan on running as many trips to Rausch as people would like.

As far as prices go, Rausch Creek isn't that much cheaper. You would spend a lot more money on a ball game or a round of golf, and they don't last all day and aren't nearly as fun.

CHW said:
Tim - Here is what we’re up against; The last weekend in May is Memorial day, the first weekend in June is Paragon's monthly ride, the second weekend has several groups already booked. If we go earlier in May there is a good chance of cold and snow. We have always tried to keep it early in June because of Tellico but that didn't work out this year.

Rausch Creek has some good trails and is getting better all the time, but there isn’t enough there to keep people busy for three days especially the hardcore groups. We do plan on running as many trips to Rausch as people would like.

As far as prices go, Rausch Creek isn't that much cheaper. You would spend a lot more money on a ball game or a round of golf, and they don't last all day and aren't nearly as fun.

Chris,
I hear what you're saying and I totally understand. I'm just bringing this up because there certainly are some rumblings from Tellico folks. I'm fine with whatever date people pick for the event, but I thought i'd broach the subject since I'm sure it'll come up in the event planning.
Tim

I really don't feel that having this event close to Tellico is too big of a deal. People are always going to complain no matter what you do. 2 weeks is plenty of time to fix whatever you may have broken, and personal budget issues have plenty of time to be worked out now.To me, this event date is perfect. Don't want to deal with freezin' the keyster off at Paragon AGAIN.

The local club that I'm in was going the very next weekend, I told them to move it up a week and I'd get NAXJA to host them since none of them know the park. There's 4 XJ's in the group anyhow. A couple are even members here.

Well id you didn't cut the top off your XJ freezing you buns woudl not be a problem...LOL

CHW said:
Rausch Creek has some good trails and is getting better all the time, but there isn’t enough there to keep people busy for three days especially the hardcore groups.

You guys haven't visited Rausch Creek in a while have you? :roll:

Lynn said:
You guys haven't visited Rausch Creek in a while have you? :roll:

:D

(you wouldn't be biased or anything now? Would you? :shocked: )

Fair enough - you've got a good point. That's why we'll be there (RC) in a month or so to check things out again. I know you guys have been doing a great job expanding the trail network down there, but we still have those 80+ at PAP. And many of the guys still have scores to settle with some of that granite.

We're starting to get an embarrassment of riches in this neck of the woods - and that's a good thing.

Assuming we get enough volunteers for trail leaders, the Plan is still to offer rides at both parks. For those of you that don't know - RC is right off of Exit 107 on I81, and PAP is right off of Exit 143. It would be real nice to have a campground at Exit 124 that is cheap, has showers, and is wheeler friendly, but, as of yet, it hasn't been built yet!

Hmmmm - maybe there should be a Spring AND Fall NACFest. Volunteers?

Skorpyo said:
. . . NACFest just 17 days before the National event at Tellico.

By the way, there seems to be this implication that Tellico is a "NATIONAL" event and NACFest isn't?

Where is the qualification list? This event has never been planned as "just" an outing for NAC folks - it's an annual NAXJA event in the Northeast that is planned for and open to all - that's why we're trying to be careful about the dates. It's unfortunate that it's crowding Tellico a bit this year, but it wasn't by design.

SE Chapter hosts Tellico, North Atlantic Chapter hosts NACFest, the Great Lakes anti-chapter :D hosts Winterfest. Fallfest in Moab is really the only truely national annual event and I know that the newly formed InterMountain Chapter is considering being the host for that one - which makes perfect sense.

We're not trying to mess up the Cherokee Crawl - just trying to run an event that is attractive to the widest range of NAXJA members - and having over 100 Appalachian trails in two great parks available in late spring seems to be a good offering.

Back