• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another radiator upgrade thread.

Super D

NAXJA Forum User
I have read alot of posts and debate between 2 and 3 core alumimun radiators. With the better air flow from 2 cores and 3 cores have better heat transfer. But I can not find anything about a good all aluminum single core radiator. Does anybody run one? I have found 2 diffrent radiators places that sell them. One on ebay for $125 and one at www.alumrad.com. Not sure how much it is. Thanks for any info.

i replaced my hi flow 2 core radiator with a single core aluminum. i have always had better luck with 2 cores than 3 cores, my belief is that in a limited space (meaning the radiator can only be so thick) a two core has larger gallies that flow more water. my old 2 core modine cooled way better than the 3 core gdi which frankly had manufacturing issues. i am running a single core aluminum unit now. it so far has cooled very well. i am running a 185 thermostat and most of the time it runs almost too cool, though it hasn't thrown any check engine lights or codes. but i also must mention i have hood vents also. and frankly i haven't noticed any appreciable loss in milage or power, but then again with big tires and lift they are likely larger issues than temp..
i have no idea as to how long they last, but as to cooling, it has been very good both climbing long freeway stretches and certainly crawling
your results may vary!

I switched to a 3 core radiator on my 97 sport and it wasn't worth it. I haven't noticed any difference in temp and the loss of space to work with down there sucks. IMO 3 cores are just not worth it.

From what I heard, Be cool is coming out with a radiator for the xj with built in trans cooler. Should be out in a couple months.

I upgraded to a 3 core on my 97. I did it when I did the whole cooling system upgrade (Pump, hoses, tranny cooler install, etc...). I have not noticed an huge benefit to having a 3 core. Seems to cool the same. A single core aluminum sounds good, but check with someone that uses it on the trail to see if you will have any issues at crawling speeds while your motor is working hard.

Also, hood vents are nice to have. I installed some on my XJ and noticed that I could actually touch the hood of my jeep without it burning my hand. That engine compartment gets hot in there. It did not lower my engine temp on the gauge, but it is nice to know that the other components under the hood are not getting too hot.

I've been running the Alumrad.com for over a year. Been very happy with it.
changed it over from a GDI 3 core. The GDI was ok in around town and trails but hit the freeway and it would steadly get hotter and hotter. I travel to the Sierra's and Nevada over I-80 and it was always an adventure to make it to the sumitt, windows down, heater on. With the Single core alum. rad. Loaded for a weeks camping, hammer down, ac on, blasting past the rest stops.
Now I watch the scenery not guage. I have had no issues at slow speeds.

This is a the price too me
$198.00 + $18.65 UPS
In stock.

If you have any Questions please
call me at 1-928-681-6716
Bryan McCulloch
Custom Aluminum Radiators

The 2 core VS. 3 core debate can go on for weeks. Same goes for Alum VS. Copper. Search the forum, you'll see what I mean.

What I can tell you is that most people end up having trouble with the ones with plastic tanks. I recommend staying away from plastic tanks if you can.

When my OEM unit went south last year, I bought a 3 row CSF from Dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com. Very reasonable and got it pretty quick in great shape. I couldn't be happier.

HTH

Hale

Aside from new aftermarket, has anyone tried to put in a larger radiator out of a different vehicle in your XJ? That's what I did with my other jeep, and it worked so well that I'm seriously considering hitting up the local junkyards.

Oldmanxj said:
I've been running the Alumrad.com for over a year. Been very happy with it.
changed it over from a GDI 3 core. The GDI was ok in around town and trails but hit the freeway and it would steadly get hotter and hotter. I travel to the Sierra's and Nevada over I-80 and it was always an adventure to make it to the sumitt, windows down, heater on. With the Single core alum. rad. Loaded for a weeks camping, hammer down, ac on, blasting past the rest stops.
Now I watch the scenery not guage. I have had no issues at slow speeds.

This is a the price too me
$198.00 + $18.65 UPS
In stock.

If you have any Questions please
call me at 1-928-681-6716
Bryan McCulloch
Custom Aluminum Radiators

X2 I had the same issue with my GDI 3 core. Changed to the alumrad and works great, no cooling worries at all anymore. On the trail it never gets above 180 with a 180 deg. stat.

if you go to Advance Auto and ask for the heatbuster series radiator it works great. I have put 3 into XJ's so far and I think they are well worth it. My stroker runs one, and I have pulled twin axle trailers with another xj loaded on a 98 degree day without breaking 210. I ran without any cooling fan for a month and was fine. Buddy pulles his boat with no problems and with a 180thermo his needle stays pinned to the mark in the summer with the ac on. I believe the brand is CSF, they have metal tanks. around $200. lifetime warrenty, which I always prefer to have at a store where I can take it back if it fails instead of mailing it back

I do I run the old alumarad radiators with the single rows and plastic tanks and I live in super hot climate PHX, AZ it does great but too much stop and go with the ac blasting and 115+ puts a hurt on it...
themud
itll still go of course I just start to worry a little..

Super D said:
Thanks for the info so far. But does anybody run a singel core on the trail?

T3hk1w1 said:
Aside from new aftermarket, has anyone tried to put in a larger radiator out of a different vehicle in your XJ? That's what I did with my other jeep, and it worked so well that I'm seriously considering hitting up the local junkyards.

I looked into this but you cant fit a bigger one than what is in there. You cant go taller due to the bonnet and cannot go lower due to the frame rails and steering box. You have to make it a lot narrower to fit between the rails and steering box so loose more than you gain. Also have reduced air flow due to the bumper being in the way. Would have to have some sort of stepped radiator to gain the narrow section between the rails while still keeping the full width up high. Just not worth the custom fabrication to gain so little. I thought of adding just a small radiator between the rails and just plumb it into the stock radiator but still not worth the gain in the end I think. Ended up fitting a larger auto cooler in that area instead and that solved any cooling problems I had as that hot air from the auto cooler no longer heats up the radiator behind. Use a Taurus fan to cool both the radiator and cooler simultaneously.
As for a single row aluminium radiator, were not the stock non tow package or A/C ones only single row?

Dang, I was hoping... My Jeepster has a 2 1/2" thick radiator out of a '57 chevy in it and it cools like a charm, I had hoped to go the same route with the Cherokee...

P.S. Australian 4WD Monthly is the best 4x4 mag ANYWHERE :)

T3hk1w1 said:
Dang, I was hoping... My Jeepster has a 2 1/2" thick radiator out of a '57 chevy in it and it cools like a charm, I had hoped to go the same route with the Cherokee...

P.S. Australian 4WD Monthly is the best 4x4 mag ANYWHERE :)

How did you get a whole of that? Know some friends in the states that would like to buy it after seeing my Jeep in it a few years ago and had sent them all a copy.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/4wdMonthly.htm
They have had a name change now to to Australian 4wd Action.

Heh, my father had an australian friend at work a couple years ago who was big into the 4WD thing. I haven't gotten any copies in the last 2 years or so however, since he left that company :(

sorry, i guess i didn't state that my aluminum radiator mentioned above is a single core! works well so far!

Bought a GDI Mexican 3 core a couple of years ago when the plastic water neck broke off the factory one. All metal from radiators.com, came with the tranny cooler ready to go.

It runs too cool for awhile, under 180. It takes most of my short commute to get to temp. When the system is working right, i.e., full and burped, it stays under 195 - which is the stat I'm using. (BTW, haven't we all heard a 180 stat keeps the fuel injection in "choke" mode and makes less power?) Anyway, I'm considering a flow restrictor to give the block coolant more soak time.

The two core may be the best all around solution for cost and performance, going to a special custom aluminum one won't really do more except look "cool" (ahem.) To each his own.

I guess I'll have to put in a stroker to get my radiator's money's worth.

Alumrad would be better if it didnt have plastic tanks....

Back