• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another MJ build thread ...

Looks good, Jon.

dang what walmart do you go to?! I wish my local walmart sold ammo. Im down to 200rnds of .22lr and 0 of .308. Unfortuently the jeep is sucking all my shooting money away from me. :bawl:

Ceres, Ca. Rare to see them there but I almost always grab a box. Hard to beat the price.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on!

still have a good clunk up front. removed the toasted upper control arm, tightened loose exhaust, loose trackbar, loose sway bar end links, loose unit bearing.
I am thinking its in the front driveshaft- I can feel some slop. Or the tranny mount maybe. Ill swap the tranny mount and check out the front driveshaft.

Pull the front dshaft and drive it to see if it goes away.

its definitely either the front driveshaft or the tranny mount, or both. I've narrowed it down. so thats nice. Ill swap in a new tranny mount and swap in a fresh front shaft and check the old one for bad U joints or CV ball.

last of the spring over parts came today from the offroad shop in seattle, leaf plates and U bolts.

made some progress on the MJ tonight.
swapped out the old unit bearing on the driver side front. it was the one that was loose thus looking like excessive camber... did not trust it even after tightening it up and driving home on it.

swapped in the putco headlight harness and new headlights, one silverstar sealed beam, and one GE light. I think the GE light is upside down though. need to fix that.

I also pulled the coils and swapped in 2 extra stock isolators, and added 1.25" of bump stop at the frame side by screwing back in the old stock stops from the silverback, with no stops, just the stubs, with a washer welded over it to spread the load on the protheses.

I also torched out the axle side UCA bushings and swapped in brand new poly ones.
that should help. old ones where toasted.

I also pulled the pass side UCA, it was clunking bad, and swapped in the driver side with a new currie johnnie joint. these UCAs went from junk 30$ CL specials to 110$ in john joints plus the arms. but they are in good shape now. killer shape. the johnnies joint came with a grazeable 7/16 bolt which was cool.

those rough country flex joints are a joke.

lastly I swapped a addco front sway bar in Lisas WJ and swapped a bolt on her stabilizer mount that was bad.

iv got that same lighting harness!! would you ever get the hella housings and their 80/100watt bulbs? Iv got them and love them, they are brighter than both of my parents cars which are much much newer than my xj.

I put the rampage lights on the Xj. I'll probably eventfully do something similar for the mj and get better bulbs. For now it's a huge upgrade as is between the new headlights and harness

XJensen the hella bulbs are amazing, and i think they are 12$ each which is really good for headlights. Now technically they are not street legal (above the 65wat maximum on low beam) but i mean what on our jeeps is actually street legal

Got a lunchbox locker for 125$ shipped for the dana 44 rear on Pirate Classifieds and pretty sure I have a line on a free or dirt cheap dana 44 3.55 carrier to put it in and get rid of the LSD carrier. rear locker will be nice.

Spring over maybe in a week or two and a rear bumper too. parts for SOA and materials for bumper are just sitting- I just need some time to do it.

The other currie johnnie joint for the other upper will be here soon,

Grabbed another WJ brake booster this last weekend at PNP to replace the bad booster.

Going to take the tranny cooler out of the radiator and into a stacked plate cooler in front of the radiator and need to get a new battery...

last piece will be getting a spare rear DS made up from a stock rear XJ DS and I think this thing will be dialed and ready to beat on again.

bottom of the totem pole is a brand new 33/12.5/15 duratrac to swap out a front tire as a real spare and junk the super old bald BFG. its all coming together .

I am leaning towards trying the hella 80/100 on my Xj

I put them on after my first set of 60/55 went out. Didn't notice a difference with the putco harness except the headlights were more yellow so I went back to the 60/55 with the blue tint. Much whiter of a light.

I put them on after my first set of 60/55 went out. Didn't notice a difference with the putco harness except the headlights were more yellow so I went back to the 60/55 with the blue tint. Much whiter of a light.

you did not notice much of a difference with the 100/80w ? Which lights do you end up going with ? brand of the 60/55w ?

Maybe if there is was a 80/100 with the blue tint I didn't really look around much.. I didn't like the yellowish look of them and didn't notice any difference between the two as far as one being "brighter". Even having each in one headlight. I still have the 80/100 in my glove box you're welcome to try them. Maybe order the 60/55 and I'll drop these by next weekend? Then you can decide. I went back to the Hella 60/55 with the blue shade. Makes it a more white. As you know I'm blind as hell so

I really don't think you can go too wrong. Although yeah the 80/100 is not suppose to be used on road I suppose. It's not too bigadeal

I could try a better 60/55 I guess . I haven't even driven the thing. Need to finish up the atlas stuff. The mj lights were so much brighter with new high quality sealed beams and putco harness so I am sure the Xj will be even better.

How did you guys dial in aiming your headlights ?

I usually find a wall in a flat parking lot and get out the tape measure. Make sure your wall beam is just a hair lower than the center of the light on the jeep. That will give you a good throw without blinding other drivers.

There may be more scientific ways but that always gets me in the ball park. Then i adjust them as needed with driving.

How far from the wall ?

Back