• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another info wanted

amsoilman1980

NAXJA Forum User
i know some of you might get tired of these threads but im gonna ask anyways. i will be searching but i figured i would ask anyways.

what things do i need to look at with a 95 4.0L with an auto?

is the auto any good? and what is it?

any other issues with the steering or anything?

thank you, im looking to buy this one in 3 weeks when the owner gets back in town.
its a 95 with a locker in the rear, new exhaust, radiator, starter, 33"coopers, no back seat, needs a tailight, has some surface rust on floor.

010205011602010307200802267b281a75b.jpg

for some reason at a glance that thing looks like an overgrown explorer.

but thats only because the tire's are too big for the lift.

i think it'd probably be a great rig once you modded it the way it should be.

there's really nothing wrong with an automatic. the only deciding factor is personal preference.

will it holdup? yes but with 33's i wouldnt stress it too much untill you had shorter gears.

on second thought if it has a locker chances are the gears were probably upgraded to atleast 4.10's at the same time.

it also depends on the locker of course.....if the spiders were welded......chances are the gears werent upgraded.

do you have any more info?

price?

go for it!

and maybe some new front fenders.....EEEK!

im waiting to hear more on the lift, locker, and gears.

the fenders i was thinking of doing some tube fenders like the wranglers, getting rid of the chrome tubes, doing some real rock sliders, interior cage, custom bumpers, winch, frame stiffeners, gears/axle upgrades.

and the price..... im trading a rifle.

hes 300 miles away and i cant make it there by sunday, hes leaving on manday for 3 weeks. so i have to wait for him to get back.

theres no tabs but he says he will go half in with me on the tabs so i can drive it back.

tranny is an aw4, plenty good and easy to find if it's shot. if your only trading for a rifle then it seems like a good deal. it sounds like your going to be doing an overhaul anyways so as long as it runs good and isn't trashed, why not get it.

wingnutooa said:
f

will it holdup? yes but with 33's i wouldnt stress it too much untill you had shorter gears.

I romped on my jeep with 33s and stock gears and never had a problem and i am sure there are plenty of people around here that have or still do. Put a tranny cooler on it and keep up on it's maintenence and it will last forever.

depending on the rifle it might be worth it. it sounded like you were planning on reworking alot of things already anyways. as long as it runs good and doesn't have any strange issues then having a basically stock xj with cut fenders and 33s isn't a bad starting place.

were you hoping for it to be a dd?

amsoilman1980 said:
found out it has 3.55's, no lift, and lincoln locked rear/open front.
It probably has at least a budget boost...no way it's running 33's without.

Honestly, the Jeep doesn't seem like it's worth a whole lot. $1000, maybe. How nice is the rifle...you may want to hold on to it. As common as XJs are, you might be better off to wait for the perfect rig to come along.

-----Matt-----

well my neighbor has a 3" lift I can get basicly for free, I planned on basicly going all through it anyways.I know I basicly need a ford front axle which I can get a hipinion 44 for cheapwill a 14BFF work in the rear of an XJ?

amsoilman1980 said:
well my neighbor has a 3" lift I can get basicly for free, I planned on basicly going all through it anyways.I know I basicly need a ford front axle which I can get a hipinion 44 for cheapwill a 14BFF work in the rear of an XJ?

Unless your running larger then 33 inch tires I think that axle swaps might not be worth it. Or at least that is what I have heard.

-Alex

amsoilman1980 said:
Sure, I'll "elaberate." Do us all a favor and spend a couple seconds to proof read. As someone smarter than I put it:

"Your posts look like someone threw a Scrabble game in the drier and wrote down the ensuing phonetic chaos verbatim. Seriously, learn how to form a sentence."

To answer your question, yes a 14 bolt would work. But why? Wheel it with the stock axles (you'd be amazed what it will do) and address issues as they arise. If you keep breaking shafts, then upgrade.

-----Matt-----

Since I've been "that guy" lately I'll take it from here.

If you look like an idiot and ask idiotic questions, you'll get idiotic answers. "another info wanted" is exactly what I'm talking about. I thought it was a joke at first, obviously not. They've been polite and helpful to date, but it only goes so far.

Another helpful hint, you've been here a very short time. Don't start being a punk already. It won't get you anywhere.

the reason I titled it as " another info wanted" was because I know peple do get tired of them, but the way I see it is if you don't know then ask. I am one of the people on other site who answers the newbie questions. I am by no where near to working on rigs or wheeling but I am new to xj's. so if you don't want to answer or think im asking a stupid question then just don't answer. thanks.

Back