• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

an Official goodbye to the 87 XJ trail rig....

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
it has been limping around since i punched a leaf sring perch up thru the floor in september.. i was just going to park it and deal with it after the snow melted... big thanks to Grizzley for finding me a replacement trail rig almost immediately.. turned out to be TOO nice to wheel.. ya dont find legit rust-free California XJs here on the east coast very often.. so i started thinking i would fix the floors and cage the broken one.. but that just seemed like too much work just to save a 250K+ self-oiling XJ and get another year or so out of it..
we stripped it today and pulled the carpets out.. HOLY $HIT!!! here are the pics i took..

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E287DE771D26CAD

the drivers-side rear quarter is seperated from the floor completely and the only real support was from the nearly rust-free frame rails and the top of the gas tank.. but at least it made the upper shock bolts accessible..
the replacement trail rig this year is a uh... 89.. uh.... Jeep... uh... COUGHYJCOUGHCOUGH.. :gag: it's getting a budget boost, body lift, 31s and 2 lock-rights.... it'll be fun running a small rig again.. the 90 XJ is still a daily driver and wil still see some trail duty. including Moab in 2 months...

I speak with the same wisdom chris has spoken with.

I built my XJ I will never build another XJ again, I still love mine though.

BUILD THE YJ

I'm SOA on stock springs, did a amc 360 swap to a TF727 and NP208 tcase, sitting on waggy 44's, and worn 35's right now all for under 1400. I prob have another 400 to 700 to put into it becuase I have to buy another transimission (friend sabotaged it :) ) . Anyway I have 22 clearance to the lowest point, which is the frame rails. So I have it completely flat skidded and all for that. Rust is easy to fix with a YJ as well, cuz it has a frame.

C-MuRdaA said:
Cant you fit 33's on a YJ with BB and a BL? Perhaps you already have the 31's laying around...

probably... but with a 4 angry squirrels under the hood i want the best performance i can get in the package.. running 33s will kil the top end on the highway, which isnt much of an issue, but i will lose a bit of torque on the low end too.. 4lo will become basically 4 1/2lo.. i don't care what some people say.. i have driven a 4 banger with stock gears and 33s and i didnt like it much... it takes the engine too far out of the usable torque curve.. i will "flat belly" it this year but any more mods will be next year.. and i'm staying spring-under.. i know how i want it set up and SOA isn't part of that.. maybe some waggy axles and 5.38s next year..

So I'm not the only one in NAC to end up with a YJ! Mine's got the 4 angry squirrels too - except I'm running the 33's from the XJ. It's doable but I'll be glad when I snag some waggy axles get better gearing. Are you bringing the YJ the NAC Fest? If life calms down, I plan to bring mine down.

PA Highlander said:
So I'm not the only one in NAC to end up with a YJ! Mine's got the 4 angry squirrels too - except I'm running the 33's from the XJ. It's doable but I'll be glad when I snag some waggy axles get better gearing. Are you bringing the YJ the NAC Fest? If life calms down, I plan to bring mine down.

i will still run the XJ at all the NAXJA events if at all possible..

holy crap!! how did you not fall out the bottom of that thing??? what was holding the seats to the rust?:scared: lol...

mack said:
holy crap!! how did you not fall out the bottom of that thing??? what was holding the seats to the rust?:scared: lol...

the area under the front seats was pretty good still.. but thats about it..

sidriptide said:
the area under the front seats was pretty good still.. but thats about it..
Must of been resulting from that special coating.
:passgas: :passgas: :passgas: :passgas: :passgas:

Back