• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost got killed last night

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
In reference to this:

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/...of_Monument_118887544.html?storySection=story

Here's my part of the story to this accident: :flamemad::flamemad::flamemad:

I was heading home, cruising up Northbound HWY 83 (speed limit is 65 mph), it was getting dark .The section of HWY I was on is a long straight section that goes in a long, sweeping, RH curve.As I coming down the straight section I see in the distance a semi with 2 other vehicles behind it heading Southbound coming through the sweeping curve (oncoming traffic).Right as I'm getting to the curve I see that the vehicle behind the semi is trying to pass him even though I'm only about 25-30 yds away :shocked:.
Needless to say, I only had about literally 1-2 seconds to react, also just complicate matters even more I had a guard rail on my passenger side so I couldn't even bail off the road to avoid the stupid jackass.The only option I had was to try to stay between jackass and the guard rail.There was absolutely no other evasive action I could have taken.
Picture if you will, a 2 lane HWY, A Semi Southbound in his lane, Jackass Southbound in my lane, me Northbound in my lane and a guard rail on my passenger side- effectively trapping me where I was at.Thats a lot of shit to have side-by-side across a 2 lane HWY.Luck was on my side because I managed to miss the Jackass coming straight at me and the guard rail.As soon as it was safe, I glanced in my rear-view mirror and did'nt see his tail lights anymore so I figured he made it around the semi and I kept going albeit shaken up and pissed off that some jackass almost killed me.It wasn't until I saw the news after I got home that I found out the magnatude of the events.If I would have been able to see or had known what actually happened behind me I absolutely would have stopped and rendered aid but like I said I thouight he made it around the semi ok because his tail lights were no longer visible and another Northbound car that was about 50-60 yds behind me was still there so I had no clue that Jackass went off the road.
:flamemad::flamemad::flamemad:

I feel bad that his passenger died because of his profoundly stupid decision and impatience. :(

Most definitely I would stop by the office and speak to someone. Your story will only corroborate what the truck driver will probably be saying. That will just confirm to law enforcement that dude was driving recklessly.

last winter my wife had a similar thing happen to her but she wasn't so lucky... an ass-hat in a yota yaris came out to pass on a 2 lane no pass zone near Franktown, she hit the brakesmaybe dude would pull back over...nope still coming, so she hit the gas and cranked it to the right but dudecame right at her and hit the sidekick in the rear, knocking it in the air EOE and spinning sideways too.it landed on it's wheels, she was OK the "kick was tottaled and ass-hat was sober. bumms me,I had that car tricked out pretty sweet.

I heard about this on the radio this morning, sad to hear about the passenger in the impatient drivers end...

I'm just glad I was in the Eclipse and not the XJ or I would have been fooked.There's no way I could have squeezed the XJ through the space available.

Glad to hear you're ok Jeff. I still remember your near death experience a few years back....... once is enough brutha!

You did the right thing by calling in to make the witness statement. :thumbup:

Glad you're OK. As bad as it may sound, I feel bad for the 24 year old driver.... I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel/react if I knew I was responsible for the death of my mother. Unreal...

Man, I saw that on the news last night and in the dark I thought the totaled SUV was a lifted XJ at first -- I said to Sheila, "shit, I hope that isn't one of the peeps".... glad you're alright, man.

I always try to take these things as reminders of how quickly a bad driving decision can turn fatal - I drive more like a grandpa every freaking day... I've told the story before of my being first on scene to a fatal t-bone in HR in 1998 where a couple of highschool students were f'g around, clipped a bumper, crossed the centerline and got t-boned by the guy in front of me at 45+ mph (I almost got decapitated by the pipe in my sprinkler repair van). I was first to the car, and the passenger was dead on impact I couldn't find anything resembling a pulse -- the driver was gasping and twitching, and after I shut the car off I managed to keep all the other folks trying to help from moving the driver - that was the last thing he needed... he died en route to the hospital anyways. I talked to both of the boys parents after the fact (amazingly they called me to thank me for my efforts), and I'll never forget the empty sounds of their voices.

I try to relive/tell that story now and again, because we all need to be reminded of how fragile life is, and how the smallest shitty choice can end it but quick.

Again, glad you're alright, Jeff - it could easily have been worse.

Glad your okay Jeff. And Chris that story is crazy. I drive like a grandpa in situations where I know there could be a possibility of an accident like traffic. I can't stand the way other people drive.... its just terrible. Let us know what the outcome of you calling in and being a witness, Jeff.

I can't stand the way other people drive.... its just terrible.

X2. This happened to me south bound I-25/I-76 exit a few years back (similar story as plane fixers oddly enough). Dumbass kid changes lanes behind me and cuts off a semi to get past, he looses control and slams right into me. We both spun several times and I'm waiting for the semi to end my life, but luckily he was able to stop in time. Apparently his car was still running, because he took off as soon as he stopped spinning. No one was able to get his info either so I got F*CKED. :smsoap::smsoap::smsoap:

The car was Mint too and was getting 40MPG. :bawl:

Before:

166487_134753063252039_100001520396889_213407_7383936_n.jpg

163667_134753046585374_100001520396889_213405_2550465_n.jpg

After:

164566_134752936585385_100001520396889_213399_3454770_n.jpg

163651_134753013252044_100001520396889_213403_6304771_n.jpg

One day... I'll find them :firedevil

Back