• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all u junkyard dogs

ROBERTK said:
So did I waste my doh on the flange to "allow me to retain my XJ driveshaft"? They told me (and I believed them) that the stock flange on the 8.8 I have would not fit the same stock size ujoint on the XJ shaft I have now? is that true?

My driveshaft shop said that the 4x4 explorers used a 1330 and the 2wd used a 1310. I am unsure if that is true or not but I brought mine to the guy a week ago and it is now on my XJ. I got it out of the yard and it is a 1310.

There is also heavier duty yolk adapters (companion flange) out there too.

I destroyed a companion flange about two weeks ago.

FileHandler.ashx

Last edited:
cracker said:
Limited Slips are lastara . Be a man, use a locker.

Another downfall with the 8.8 is that the pinion sits 1.25" lower than a Dana axle (44, 35, 60, whatever). You hit your driveshaft quite a bit more with the 8.8 because of this. I have bent two shafts this year.

Again, I would recommend this over and over again OVER the Dana 44. I know of two 44s with bent tubes (Remi!)

Ok its hyjacking time I guess.. but this is informative if nothing else...

So why do I read (of course its internet) that the Pinion height, U-joint center below tube center is the same between the D35 to 8.8"? I do understand that the tube is .75" larger so that would mean 3/8" differnence in pinion height?

In any case I have the 8.8 in my garage and the D35 under the Xj in the garage, I guess tonight I will see about just doing my own measuring..

cracker said:
Again, I would recommend this over and over again OVER the Dana 44. I know of two 44s with bent tubes (Remi!)
Tube isn't bent: the plug weld is busted. Same problem (similar) as with the 8.8 tube spinning. So.... weld it to the housing ahead of time or truss it (either one should get that treatment).

ROBERTK said:
Ok its hyjacking time I guess.. but this is informative if nothing else...

So why do I read (of course its internet) that the Pinion height, U-joint center below tube center is the same between the D35 to 8.8"? I do understand that the tube is .75" larger so that would mean 3/8" differnence in pinion height?

In any case I have the 8.8 in my garage and the D35 under the Xj in the garage, I guess tonight I will see about just doing my own measuring..

I just double checked. I am wrong about the pinion difference. They are almost the same between a Dana 35 but the 8.8 is almost 1/2 inch lower on a Dana 44 and Dana 60. Regardless I have quite a bit of damage on my driveshaft because of it. Whether it would have been different on the 44 I don't know.

Do your measurements. The fawking 8.8 is huge. I have it. I like it. I have to sell it but I would keep it and truss it if I stayed on 35s. Like Remi said, weld the tubes to the diff when you are working on it.

When I get home I will measure the distance from the diff to the ground (on bald 35s) and it might tell us something about the clearance.

Sorry Cupcake to hyjack your thread :wave:

Last edited:
cracker said:
When I get home I will measure the distance from the diff to the ground (on bald 35s) and it might tell us something about the clearance.

Sorry Cupcake to hyjack your thread :wave:

Well if you could do a measurement of both the ground to lowest point of U-joint and one from the ground to lowest point of Diff housing? And evan one more of to the bottom of tube?

Then tonight I will do the same to the D35 I have in my jeep and even though the total for each will be way different, it can be mathmatically figured as to the true relationship of each with using what is given already.

Thanks

PS, I have the TNT truss and u-bolt eliminators coming in the mail already and TNT said that theres no need to weld to the diff housing, only to the tubes, to prevent the tubes from ever spinning.. So, thats what I have planed.

ROBERTK said:
Well if you could do a measurement of both the ground to lowest point of U-joint and one from the ground to lowest point of Diff housing? And evan one more of to the bottom of tube?

Then tonight I will do the same to the D35 I have in my jeep and even though the total for each will be way different, it can be mathmatically figured as to the true relationship of each with using what is given already.

Just for shits and giggles, I'll measure my 8.25 on 35's tonight and my d44 on 35's when I get it installed (maybe this weekend) and post it back to this thread.

ROBERTK said:

Will do!

With the TNT truss, I doubt the tubes will spin independantly but couldn't the dif spin independantly of the tubes?

As promised, my measurements are as follows:

Ground to lowest portion of differential = 10.5"
Ground to bottom portion of the yolk = 16 1/8"

Keep in mind I have 8-9" of lift, bald 315/75/16 BFG MTs, and my pinion is pretty much pointed right at my transfer case.

Now am am really curious to see what the other's numbers are :D

Since Crack head measured his distances...I was wondering about my Heep....
33" MTRs with the 8.25 rear end, ground clearance (thats what we call the distance between Mother Earth and the lowest portion of the diff :laugh3: )' was at 9.5". Yoke clearance was 14 3/4".
This info was provided only as another reference point. I'm not in the market to upgrade to a 44 yet. I suppose I'd need to break something in the rear first....
Rick R :sunshine:
Keep in mind that lift height makes no difference in these measurements!! :wave:

Last edited:
Jump This said:
Since Crack head measured his distances...
Keep in mind that lift height makes no difference in these measurements!! :wave:

Wrong hight does on the pinion height IF you have a sye and the rear pinion is set right...

And crack head huh? Classic.....

ROBERTK said:
Wrong hight does on the pinion height IF you have a sye and the rear pinion is set right...

And crack head huh? Classic.....

That's okay Robert, next time Cptn. Ron and Goat aren't on the run, we'll leave Rick out there :laugh3:

The pinion angle is why I mentioned my lift.

29 spline 8.25, 315/76/16 MT/R's (35").

10.3 to the diff, and about 15.5 to the yoke.

I should have the dana 44 on in a few days, and I'll measure again with it.
-C

cal said:
29 spline 8.25, 315/76/16 MT/R's (35").

10.3 to the diff, and about 15.5 to the yoke.

I should have the dana 44 on in a few days, and I'll measure again with it.
-C

WTF? You are only 10.3"? I am 10.5" I REALLY want to know what your 44 measures out to now. Your tires are in excellent condition too.

Good to know.

cracker said:
WTF? You are only 10.3"? I am 10.5" I REALLY want to know what your 44 measures out to now. Your tires are in excellent condition too.

Good to know.

1) 315/75/16 = 34.4", not 35.

2) the 8.25 has a 1" lip at the bottom most guys shave, i didnt

3) i measured it in the dark with a ruler. :)

cal said:
1) 315/75/16 = 34.4", not 35.

From now on I expect you to say you have 34.4" tires on your XJ :D

cal said:
3) i measured it in the dark with a ruler. :)

If not a ruler, what would you use? :D

cracker said:
From now on I expect you to say you have 34.4" tires on your XJ :D

If not a ruler, what would you use? :D

A tape measure.. not a ruler i found in my desk after leaving my tape measure sitting next to my stack of driveshafts at my dad's..

no luck pick a part has none looks like my 44 is just gonna have to wait

cupcake

Kejtar said:
You didn't look hard enough... I got an MJ D44 one for sale ;) Just picked it up today :D

BUT with an MJ Dana 44 you have to weld new perches and mounts. It is the SAME amount of work as getting an 8.8.

Cupcake, if you want an 8.8 let me know. I pretty much have a complete one with a limited slip in the garage here :D

I'll even help you get it going too!

Back