• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All day under the jeep

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
So I just spent 12 hours under the jeep. That was the time it took me to

Pull the axle

pull the gears and destroy my lollipop for the ARB, then destroy a few brass fittings:twak:.

eat lunch

go to the store for more brass fittings

get home and unpack new lollipop, realize it is the wrong model:flamemad:.

Use acetelyene torch to unsolder lollipop stub, cut tube and resolder... With resin core. too much solder, had to drill out center with a very tiny drill bit and a pair of pliers to twist:smoker:.

Assemble diff, get a decent pattern, set backlash, begin tightening up, break lollipop stem where I got it too hot while soldering:conceited.

disassemble diff, unsolder and resolder lollipop tube, looks professionally done now :cool:.

stick a plug in the giant hole that was drilled in the wrong place for the air line:twak:.

Drill a hole in the diff cover and ghetto run air line through cover:anon:.

seal diff cover.

un install broken stub shaft bearing holder togetherers..

re-install axle

re-install brakes, control arms, steering, etc.

route hose

eat gumbo

ghetto rig switch and regulator, test....it works, but leaks.

redo all brass fittings with teflon tape (grease doesn't work btw)

test, it works.

fill diff with synthetic fluid.

try to crank jeep, but after listening to the radio all day, not running it for 2 weeks, leaving my GPS plugged in for 2 weeks, and filling my air tank twice the battery doesn't have quite enough juice to start:confused1.

5 minutes on a charger and she's running again. 2 selectable lockers functional. 10 minute drive to test gears out and all is well, no noise. I'll have lockers for Barnwell.

get home and post it all here:party:

all i can say is YUCK.

sounds like remi's and my excursion to swap both sets of gears in mine...and they were already out from under the jeep!

So I just spent 12 hours under the jeep. That was the time it took me to...

...eat gumbo

Never spent 12hrs under my jeep. Usually I come out for something at one point or another. But you stayed under there for 12hrs. and on top of everything else you managed to get done, you ate gumbo under there too? Nice, that's some dedication. I see why you are the Chap. Pres. party1: :yelclap:

You forgot to post what is going to happen when you get to Gilmer...

Friday:

Arrive.

Set up camp.

Wheel for 10 minutes.

Break all axles.

Co pilot for Katy.

Sat:

Co pilot for Katy.

Sun:

Co pilot for Katy.

Break down camp.

Tow XJ home.

So I take it you liked that post Katy?

Last time we went to Gilmer together that's pretty much exactly what happened...

Yeah, replace "Wheel for 10 mins" with "Try to Run Twister" and you've got it down. We could literally still see camp when he blew his ring gear.

and my failure was much more spectacular

True, that. Definitely gave us much more entertainment for our dollars. Hopefully you bring a camera-man who's less easily distracted next time so we can relive the moment properly. ;)

Back