• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airline mechanics?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Who here is an airline mechanic? I've been looking at an ad in the paper advertising training for this with job placement afterwards. They claim "The FAA predicts a shortage in the near future". Anyone got any knowledge on the pay, benefits, work environment, etc? Thanks.

I tell you what man my dads an airline mechanic. There is definitly not going to be a shortage of mechanics. There are tons of people being laid off becuase they have too many. Ive been to work with him and its a really pleasant enviroment, lots of good humor and practical jokes.

Talk to HossHoffner here on the boards. He got laid off and is having to work contracts. Last time I heard, he was having to commute to Idaho.

i work at an FBO and its nice. I enjoy it there. The mechanics dont do much of anything really. The environment is great, and so are the people. Beats sitting at a desk i tell ya that much. I work on the line/ramp btw.

I"ve been wrenching on aircraft since I was about 11 (family business)and am an A&P/IA.Now my brother and myself own the company.I've never done the airline gig but my brother did for 2 1/2 years @ America West.He liked the work but never knew if he was getting laid off or furloughed from one week to the next.There just seems to be too much job-insecurity there -just think back about how many airlines have filed either chapter 11(reorganization) or chapter 7 (liquidation) bankrupcies in the past 10-15 years.I'm just glad (fortunate) I have my own small company with good employees and a steady customer base.As for a shortage of mechanics....not true.I'd be more worried about a shortage of airlines.The only "FAA shortage worries" rumors I've heard is a possible shortage of licensed inspectors (IAs).I hear/see ads about aircraft maintenance schools and their claims of "most mechanics make $44,000/yr or more"......Total B.S. Entry-level mechanics get IIRC about 28k-35k/yr.Experienced automotive mechanics make more money than aircraft mechanics in most cases (at least around here)-- sad but true.

Last edited:
I obtained my A&Ps while I was in the Air Force and have wrenched both in California and Hawaii for Gov't contractor (Sterling) and civilian airlines (Hawaiian) and hated it. Almost everyone I worked with walked around with chips on their shoulder, complaining about how hard they where getting screwed (no matter that they/we were making $25+ an hour with benefits). I realized one day that I was being infected with the same attitude so I left that career to try other things. I am now much happier welding. If I were to return to working on aircraft, I would get on at a small airport doing annuals on single engine birds for private pilots. Private pilots tend to be enthusiastic about their airplanes and flying, much like we are about our Xjs. It's easy to love what you do for people when people love what you do for them!

Dave

[QUOTE ] I would get on at a small airport doing annuals on single engine birds for private pilots. Private pilots tend to be enthusiastic about their airplanes and flying, much like we are about our Xjs. It's easy to love what you do for people when people love what you do for them!

Dave[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world :) although I do work on twin engine birds too.

Back